Latest post Tue, Nov 12 2019 9:34 PM by Brian Berdan, ACE. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:01 PM In reply to

• Ryan Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 44
    • Points 555

Re: MC 2019.9 quirks and feature requests

Hi Marianna-

We're actually on MC 2018.12.6 w/ Mac OS 10.12.6. I haven't updated my avid.com profile.

Thanks,

-Ryan

iMacs, MacPro's, OSX 10.12.6, MC 2018.12.6, Nexis 2019.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 31 2019 9:05 PM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,310

Marianna:

goodBoy:

Thanks Marianna for the quick response once again!

Do you have an estimated date for the next MC release by any chance?

Depends on if any show stoppers are found but looks like a week or 2.  Definately be 2019.11

Marianna

Thanks M.  Hopefully the disappearing source monitor can be resolved by the next release.

Avid MC v2019.9.0, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 3 2019 5:24 PM In reply to

• Schmidtsk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 18 2007
    • McGregor, South Africa
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,395

I'm trying to save a rolling title created in MC 2019.3 -  now edited in 2019.9.

It wont save or promote to Titler+.

Seriously annoying - having spent the time doing extensive updates to a credit list.

Static titles created in earlier versions save as expected.

Please check.

MC 2019.9 (Symph) on iMac 4.2. i7 40GB (OSX 10.14.2). Also MC 7.0.5 on MacPro 2.66 11 GB (OSX 10.7.5) [view my complete system specs]

Plant a tree

• Mon, Nov 4 2019 4:53 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

Was the rolling title created with the (old) Title Tool? What happens when you try to save it? Is there any sort of error message?

I don't think the 'promote to Titler+' feature is really available yet. It shows up in some of the menus but I haven't seen it in the release notes as of MC 2019.9.

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2019.9 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 9:49 AM In reply to

Bug of the day: does anyone also has issue with importing TGA files?

Getting this message : Exception: Cannot find module, No such file or directory.

Pro: iMac 10.12.6 / 24 GB RAM Home: Core i7 CPU / 32 GB RAM / Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]

Julien

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 2:37 PM In reply to

• tgzb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 23 2014
    • Posts 20
    • Points 280

2 Issues that trouble me most:

1. Plenty of crashes. Specifically when I go to another application, leaving MC working, and need to come back. I get the wheel of death most times, and half the times it never recovers and I have to force quit. Ever since upgrading to 2019.x versions the computer freezes frequently. It's an iMac Pro 2017.

2. When I edit in the timeline, usually when moving a clip, the left window in the composer becomes black, showing no playback. It happens in Source/Record Mode, but also in Trim or Effect mode, and there's no data on the left screen of the composer window, Extremely annoying. I teach Avid MC, and my students suffer from this bug in all their computers.

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 2:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Are they on a drive?   Alpha channel?  

More info on the TGA needed.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 2:50 PM In reply to

• cmush
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 25 2012
    • Posts 51
    • Points 635

tgzb:

1. Plenty of crashes. Specifically when I go to another application, leaving MC working, and need to come back. I get the wheel of death most times, and half the times it never recovers and I have to force quit. Ever since upgrading to 2019.x versions the computer freezes frequently. It's an iMac Pro 2017.

This has been a frequent issue for me as well.  Lots of spinning beach balls for no rhyme or reason.  (this happens with both hardware disabled and fast scrubbing disabled)  It is very frustrating because there is a lot I like about 2019.x.  It just isn't stable enough for me to use though.

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 2:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

T-

I created a case and have asked support to look at this for you...

Case # 03820465

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 2:58 PM In reply to

Dear Marianna,

The TGA files have an alpha channel, to be specific they are 32 bits RLE premultipled.

They were initially located on a ISIS-emulated network drive. Moving them to the Desktop had no effect. 

As some of them were previously well imported and I was trying to batch them, I guess my files are OK. 

Best regards, 

Pro: iMac 10.12.6 / 24 GB RAM Home: Core i7 CPU / 32 GB RAM / Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]

Julien

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 3:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JulienStranger:

Dear Marianna,

The TGA files have an alpha channel, to be specific they are 32 bits RLE premultipled.

They were initially located on a ISIS-emulated network drive. Moving them to the Desktop had no effect. 

As some of them were previously well imported and I was trying to batch them, I guess my files are OK. 

Best regards, 

Are you using MC or MC First?

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 3:22 PM In reply to

I'm in a broadcast facility : several Media Composer Ultimate (subscription and floating licenses) on iMacs, Macos Sierra. We are using a Tiger Technology network storage, with Avid bin sharing emulation. 

Julien

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 4:04 PM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

Julien:

Sadly it looks to me like TGA files are no longer supported in MC 2019. It took me a while to find this, on page 1264 of the MC 2019 editing guide the supported graphics formats are listed. Compare this to the MC 2018 editing guide page 1270. My guess is that the software library Avid was using to import less common file formats was showing it's age and needed to be updated. I have to confess I haven't encountered a TGA file in many years. The same goes for all the other file types that Avid has dropped.

I hope you can adjust your workflow to create TIFF or PNG files instead of Targa. TIFF and PNG both support alpha channels. I've found PNG files to be the best choice in my shop. The alpha seems to always show up properly without having to deal with whole 'Premultiplied' or not issue.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Media_Composer_Editing_Guide_2019.x.pdf

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Media_Composer_Editing_Guide_2018.x.pdf

For reference I've listed below the 24 image formats supported in MC 2018 and earlier. The 7 in bold are the only ones still supported in MC 2019. 

Specifications for Graphics (Image) Files:

Alias (.als) 

BMP (.bmp)

Chyron (.chr) 

Cineon (.cin)

Framestore (.fs)

IFF (.iff)

JPEG (.jpg) 

OMFI (.omf)

PCX (.pcx)

Photo CD (Mac only)

Photoshop (.psd)

PICT (.pic) 

Pixar (.pxr) 

PNG (.png)

QRT (.dbw) 

Rendition (.6rn)

SGI (.rgb)

Softimage (.pic)

Sun Raster (.sun) 

Targa (.tga) 

TIFF (.tif)

Wavefront (.rla) 

XWindows(.xwd) 

YUV (.yuv)

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2019.9 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 4:56 PM In reply to

Wow, didn't figure that out, thanks Bruce. 

This is very surprising as TGA is still used by many CG systems in control rooms... But I guess I'll move to PNG. 

Julien

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 5:32 PM In reply to

• Schmidtsk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 18 2007
    • McGregor, South Africa
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,395

Bruce Dixon:

Was the rolling title created with the (old) Title Tool? What happens when you try to save it? Is there any sort of error message?

I don't think the 'promote to Titler+' feature is really available yet. It shows up in some of the menus but I haven't seen it in the release notes as of MC 2019.9.

Hi Bruce. Thanks for responding.

The rolling title was created in the old title tool, and I try to edit it in the old title tool. When I try to save it nothing happens. The usual dialog windows do not appear. And when I quit the title tool, the changes I made do not stick. There are no error messages.

Static titles work as expected.

I mentioned the "won't promote to Titler+" because in my desperation to save my changes, I tried that too. Not that I wanted to do that.

MC 2019.9 (Symph) on iMac 4.2. i7 40GB (OSX 10.14.2). Also MC 7.0.5 on MacPro 2.66 11 GB (OSX 10.7.5) [view my complete system specs]

Plant a tree

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller