Latest post Tue, Nov 12 2019 9:34 PM by Brian Berdan, ACE. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 29 2019 2:40 PM

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 45
    • Points 625

MC 2019.9 quirks and feature requests

Here are 8 things that have bugged me about MC 2019. I think these have mostly if not all been present since the 2019.6 release and I'm still seeing them as of 2019.9:

1. When the Bin container does not have focus, you can’t determine visually which bin is selected. You can see the tabbed bin names at the top but there’s no indication which one is currently selected. When creating a subclip, you don’t know which bin it will end up in.

2. In the Effect Editor as well as in Color Correction mode, parameters can be toggled on and off but it’s hard to tell which ones are on and which ones are off. A bit color on the enabled parameters would be helpful which is how it was in MC 2018.

3. When editing a clip name it’s hard to tell which text is selected before you start typing. A bit of color would help here too.

4. When a new bin is created, it gets a default name. In MC 2018 the bin name would automatically be selected for editing. This allowed the user to create a bin and type the desired name without having to locate and select the bin in the sidebar.

5. Audio Pan defaults are a problem again. When the user default pan setting is changed (Left / Right or Centered) existing sequences will have different pan settings. This problem often appears when a project is shared among different systems.

6. Auto Sequence (edit from bin) seems to work intermittently. I expect to be able to select a bin, select all the clips and hit the ‘B’ key to string them together into a new sequence. I find that sometimes this just won’t work. After 3 or 4 attempts it usually works but I’m not sure why.

7. Relink to Files . .  menu option is always greyed out. Has this feature been removed? How is it supposed to work now?

8. Titler Plus. I'm starting to get familliar with the new titler. Reading the built-in help got me started but there are a few things missing or out of sync. In the Effect Editor for Titler Plus under the Edit secition there is a checkbox called 'Select Field'. This is not included in the help. Also when adjusting sliders for translate and also rotate, I've seen several times where reseting it back to zero doesn't work. No matter which direction you drag the slider, it keeps going in the same direction. In the case of translate it moves off the screen. In the case of rotate, it seems impossible to return to an un-rotated position. The only thing that helps in this case seems to be 'undo'.

We have 6 Media Composer systems. 5 are running MC 2019.9 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 1 is running Windows 10 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Tue, Oct 29 2019 3:58 PM In reply to

• Ryan Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 44
    • Points 555

Re: MC 2019.9 quirks and feature requests

+1 for number 5, the Audio pan settings. This one got us into trouble on a few occasions. Changing user settings should NEVER alter the content of an existing sequence.

I'd also like to add one that we encountered yesterday:

By default, sequences end abruptly on the last frame of the last clip in the sequence, and don't continue to 'black' in the absence of any additional clips. I think this has been the behavior of Media Composer for many years. Our editors are still generating empty titles or cutting random frames onto the end of sequences just so that their sequences end on black as one would expect.

This is also a problem for exported files: We have been exporting OP1a MXF files for client review, and the 'Use Marks' option no longer works as expected. Including a few frames of black at the tail of a sequence before an out-point does not produce black in the exported file.

iMacs, MacPro's, OSX 10.12.6, MC 2018.12.6, Nexis 2019.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 29 2019 5:40 PM In reply to

• goodBoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2019
    • Posts 16
    • Points 160

Bruce Dixon:
    1. When the Bin container does not have focus, you can’t determine visually which bin is selected. You can see the tabbed bin names at the top but there’s no indication which one is currently selected. When creating a subclip, you don’t know which bin it will end up in.

Agreed! Another one:

• Often when I right-click on a clip in a bin, the full menu doesn't appear. 'Source Settings' and a lot of other options are not there. When I double click the clip to load it into the source monitor, and then go back to it in the bin again, all the options are there! A bit annoying.

iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB, QNAP NAS connected by Thunderbolt, MC 2019.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 29 2019 6:19 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 408
    • Points 5,340

One little thing that has been bugging me since the launch of v2019:

Using Favorite Bins, if I open the disclosure triangle to access the bins, when I open one of the bins, the triangle immediately closes again. I have to open the folder every time I want to access the Favorite Bins.

I preferred it when the Favorite Bins would behave like any other folder.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.8 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.4), macOS 10.14.6, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 29 2019 11:20 PM In reply to

Yes yes and yes... and:

•Segment Mode yellow/red selection on timeline not sticking. Happens when I lasso segments to move them.

•Avid title tool created clip; hit "Fade Effect" to add head and tail fades; error: "The effect doesn't allow the fade"

•When I go into effect mode, the record monitor is turning red until I click on something, anything.

•Exiting title tool, ‘save’ does not activate and highlight the name field to enter text like it used to.

•While playing, if you hit “show more detail” in the timeline, it zooms out with the playhead on the right edge of timeline rather than in the middle like it used to- I always want to see ahead when I zoom out.  Behaves normally when parked.

•Coloring a clip that has an Matte Key, clip color does not show up in the timeline.

•Why isn’t ‘save’ ‘save all’?  I hit save and yell to my assistant to grab the bin, and it’s not been saved.  I don’t want to navigate to that bin to save it.  I know this is not completely recent, but it seems completely silly.

•How to change font in scripts?

(yes, I created new settings)

2017 MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6 MC 2019.9.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 30 2019 4:53 AM In reply to

• goodBoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 160

Sifting bin contents, then closing the bin and opening it again, and the bin goes back to the unsifted view, even though 'Show sifted' is checked in the Bin menu.

iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB, QNAP NAS connected by Thunderbolt, MC 2019.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 30 2019 4:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ryan Johnson:

+1 for number 5, the Audio pan settings. This one got us into trouble on a few occasions. Changing user settings should NEVER alter the content of an existing sequence.

I'd also like to add one that we encountered yesterday:

By default, sequences end abruptly on the last frame of the last clip in the sequence, and don't continue to 'black' in the absence of any additional clips. I think this has been the behavior of Media Composer for many years. Our editors are still generating empty titles or cutting random frames onto the end of sequences just so that their sequences end on black as one would expect.

This is also a problem for exported files: We have been exporting OP1a MXF files for client review, and the 'Use Marks' option no longer works as expected. Including a few frames of black at the tail of a sequence before an out-point does not produce black in the exported file.

Hey Ryan.....    are you still on 2018.12.1 ???   if not what version?   And is macOS still 10.12.6?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 30 2019 4:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Brian Berdan, ACE:

Yes yes and yes... and:

•Segment Mode yellow/red selection on timeline not sticking. Happens when I lasso segments to move them.

•Avid title tool created clip; hit "Fade Effect" to add head and tail fades; error: "The effect doesn't allow the fade"

•When I go into effect mode, the record monitor is turning red until I click on something, anything.

•Exiting title tool, ‘save’ does not activate and highlight the name field to enter text like it used to.

•While playing, if you hit “show more detail” in the timeline, it zooms out with the playhead on the right edge of timeline rather than in the middle like it used to- I always want to see ahead when I zoom out.  Behaves normally when parked.

•Coloring a clip that has an Matte Key, clip color does not show up in the timeline.

•Why isn’t ‘save’ ‘save all’?  I hit save and yell to my assistant to grab the bin, and it’s not been saved.  I don’t want to navigate to that bin to save it.  I know this is not completely recent, but it seems completely silly.

•How to change font in scripts?

(yes, I created new settings)

Brian,

I created a  case 03817121 and asked support to look at each one of these.

Thanks tons....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 30 2019 4:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Bruce Dixon:

Here are 8 things that have bugged me about MC 2019. I think these have mostly if not all been present since the 2019.6 release and I'm still seeing them as of 2019.9:

2. In the Effect Editor as well as in Color Correction mode, parameters can be toggled on and off but it’s hard to tell which ones are on and which ones are off. A bit color on the enabled parameters would be helpful which is how it was in MC 2018.

3. When editing a clip name it’s hard to tell which text is selected before you start typing. A bit of color would help here too.

4. When a new bin is created, it gets a default name. In MC 2018 the bin name would automatically be selected for editing. This allowed the user to create a bin and type the desired name without having to locate and select the bin in the sidebar.

5. Audio Pan defaults are a problem again. When the user default pan setting is changed (Left / Right or Centered) existing sequences will have different pan settings. This problem often appears when a project is shared among different systems.

6. Auto Sequence (edit from bin) seems to work intermittently. I expect to be able to select a bin, select all the clips and hit the ‘B’ key to string them together into a new sequence. I find that sometimes this just won’t work. After 3 or 4 attempts it usually works but I’m not sure why.

7. Relink to Files . .  menu option is always greyed out. Has this feature been removed? How is it supposed to work now?

8. Titler Plus. I'm starting to get familliar with the new titler. Reading the built-in help got me started but there are a few things missing or out of sync. In the Effect Editor for Titler Plus under the Edit secition there is a checkbox called 'Select Field'. This is not included in the help. Also when adjusting sliders for translate and also rotate, I've seen several times where reseting it back to zero doesn't work. No matter which direction you drag the slider, it keeps going in the same direction. In the case of translate it moves off the screen. In the case of rotate, it seems impossible to return to an un-rotated position. The only thing that helps in this case seems to be 'undo'.

Hi Bruce....  Hope your doing well.   Any recent UG meetings in DC?

I created a case 03817118  for these and asked support to look at them.....

Thanks for posting.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 30 2019 4:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

goodBoy:

Sifting bin contents, then closing the bin and opening it again, and the bin goes back to the unsifted view, even though 'Show sifted' is checked in the Bin menu.

Marc

I have a case going on this one.....  03817132

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 30 2019 4:37 PM In reply to

Marianna, you rock!

Thanks

Brian

2017 MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.6 MC 2019.9.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 30 2019 4:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Brian Berdan, ACE:

Marianna, you rock!

Thanks

Brian

Brian.....  awwww your just saying that LOLOLOL

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 30 2019 5:10 PM In reply to

• goodBoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 160

Thanks Marianna for the quick response once again!

Do you have an estimated date for the next MC release by any chance?

• Wed, Oct 30 2019 5:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

goodBoy:

Thanks Marianna for the quick response once again!

Do you have an estimated date for the next MC release by any chance?

Depends on if any show stoppers are found but looks like a week or 2.  Definately be 2019.11

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 31 2019 5:50 AM In reply to

• goodBoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 160

Marianna:
    Depends on if any show stoppers are found but looks like a week or 2.  Definately be 2019.11

Great!

Just another little feature request:

It would be great to have the option of a waveform display in the source monitor itself. Coming from a sound design background, I love to work with waveforms to edit audio, and I find having to toggle source/record views in the timeline is a bit 'clunky'. Not a big deal, but would be nice to have.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller