Latest post Thu, Sep 19 2019 6:57 PM by jameslondon74. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 18 2019 3:12 PM

Why make Media Composer similar to Premier??

hi all,

Why would Avid re-design Media Composer to compete with Premier?? If they make it work the same as Premier, then people will just use Premier. Shouldn't Avid stand out from the crowd and do its own thing, and do it WELL?

Interested to hear decent justifications for this re-design. (in my opinon, fixing solutions that never existed in the first place, but happy to be told otherwise)

Thanks.

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 3:31 PM In reply to

Re: Why make Media Composer similar to Premier??

Over the last 6 years or more I've seen a growing trend of users take up premiere as their first NLE solution.

So moving them to MC is harder work.

And they struggle with the differences.

Making MC more like Premiere may or maynot help with that but I'm not sure it will cause may to pick MC as their first NLE.

Adobe has the whole suite available and MC First just complicates things as its non compatible with MC (nobody understands that)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 3:39 PM In reply to

But the reason they pick Premier might be because it's CHEAP. It's not necessarily the better system. So it's incredibly disappointing that Avid seems to be 'dumbing down'.

I'm not trying to open an Avid Vs Premier argument, I've seen entire shows cut on Premier. Fine.

But it would be like BMW redesigning their cars to be more like Fords, just because people buy more Fords.

But hey, I'd much rather Avid redesigned than went out of business. I just rather they didn't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 4:26 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 17,395

I dunno.  My Avid still works and feels like an Avid -- except the windows are easier to rearrange and the colors are darker.

Doesn't seem very much like Premiere to me.

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 4:29 PM In reply to

What version are you on?

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 5:53 PM In reply to

I'm confused by the premise of the question. Are you saying tabs and lockable floating windows are strictly a Premiere feature? 

Even so, are those the defining factors that make someone decide which NLE they use? That is fairly superficial from where I stand (really sit :) ).

And there were/are myriads of issues with the aging GUI. While some may be minor to a specific user or may not even experience it because of their workflow or style, collectively the MC GUI needed an overhaul cosmetically and under the hood.

The new GUI is a good start IMHO, especially if Avid continues to refine it.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 18 2019 6:03 PM In reply to

Hey.

GUI is a huge part of using a program, I'm sure you agree. I love upgrades and improvements, but the latest overhaul seems so extreme and so unnecessary (removing central editing panel, removing expandable icon palette, the bin containers, workspaces that don't work with floating bins, and maybe more).

I guess I'm just wondering why such an extreme overhaul. Seems unnecessary and perhaps a gimmick to appeal to the Premier set.

Frustrating, but I guess that's progress!

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 6:20 PM In reply to

I agree that it is an important part of many applications. In Steve Jobs mind, the most important :)

Avid's GUI has been criticized since the turn of this century for being old and dated. There are various issues that have been pointed out for years. Did you know Avid only added scroll wheel support in the mid-2000s even though the scroll wheel has been widely used since the 1990s?

Some of these problems Avid was able to fix and some they could not. I'm sure the aging codebase made it inefficient to just keep patching or near impossible. Eventually, you need to create a modern codebase if you want to support modern features and fix existing bugs.

Avid was smart to actually target the underpinnings and move forward.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 18 2019 7:44 PM In reply to

smrpix:

I dunno.  My Avid still works and feels like an Avid -- except the windows are easier to rearrange and the colors are darker.

Doesn't seem very much like Premiere to me.

+1

Media Composer 2019.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 7:53 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 17,395

jameslondon74:

What version are you on?

Was this to me?  2019.8, the latest.

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 8:10 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 409
    • Points 5,345

As long as I can toggle Source/Record in the Timeline; as my project remains fast and stable no matter its complexity; and I can buy a purpetual license instead of being forced into a rental scheme, it will still be Avid to me. ;)

Premiere has mostly benefited from three things: Adobe's aggressive marketing to the prosumer/education market, the ongoing popularity of Photoshop/After Effects, and Apple's decision to kill off the legacy Final Cut Pro - Premiere's nearest relative. Apple essentially gave the indie NLE market to Adobe.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.8 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.4), macOS 10.14.6, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 18 2019 9:43 PM In reply to

All interesting and reasonable. I’m just annoyed that they have to remove such familiar and reliable features when they make these upgrades. It just doesn’t seem necessary to change the little things that make avid feel like avid. But what do I know.

• Wed, Sep 18 2019 9:45 PM In reply to

Yeah, to you.

just curious... do you work with dual monitors? Do you use bin containers?

• Thu, Sep 19 2019 2:47 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 17,395

jameslondon74:

Yeah, to you.

just curious... do you work with dual monitors? Do you use bin containers?

Yes to both.  One thing that hasn't become fully instinctive to me yet is using the CTRL key to open new bins in the selected window.  Also took a while to get the Effects Palette/Effects Editor windows how I liked them.

• Thu, Sep 19 2019 7:09 AM In reply to

To smrpix:

Ok thanks. I haven’t been able to talk to anyone actually using the new version yet so I appreciate your replies. (I’m getting no response from my posts on the forum)

Could I ask further simple questions:

1. on your bin container window, how do you deal with the bin container completely covering your desktop? Don’t you miss being able to see icons etc ‘underneath’?

2. how do you feel about one bin opening up to fill the entire height of the bin container, despite how many clips are in it?

3. Now that you’ve worked with it a while, what’s your preference for organising many open bins? Do you use tabs? Do you dock the on the left hand bar? Do you split the window into sections? I’m really interested to know how you’ve reacted to it.

(I tried making a floating bin set up like the old version, but workspaces doesn’t seem to remember it, and defaults back to a full size bin container)

Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller