Latest post Thu, Sep 12 2019 4:10 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 10 2019 5:58 PM

• Ramster92
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 11 2018
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

MSMRescan

Is there a way to actually, fully, disable MSMRescan? The amount of delay and slows I experience from this process on a daily basis is REDICULOUS (I'm not joking, the other day it added up to about 30 minutes of wait time in total). Please help.

• Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:46 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,502
    • Points 42,200

Re: MSMRescan

I am definitely NOT an expert on this, but I would say the thing to do is figure out what is causing the rescans.

I would not want to disable them as they are integral to Avids media management.

I work with Facilis Terrablock and share projects and media alot.  I only expect to see a rescan if I move media from one folder to another.  Or after a lot of clips have been loaded / consolidated / transcoded etc.

If your rescans are just happening randomly, something seems very wrong.

Now if you are on an Avid storage system, I will bow out as I have no experience there and things may be really different.

So I guess system specs and workflow explanation would be helpful for those reading this.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Sep 11 2019 3:31 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,465

#1:

jef:
    I would say the thing to do is figure out what is causing the rescans.

#2: Do you work from local drives or on a shared storage? Is your media OMFI or MXF? If MXF, is it all in one large subfolder or distributed to a number of smaller subfolders? 30 minutes for scanning sounds like either a great number of media files or a slow/bad drive.

• Wed, Sep 11 2019 5:19 PM In reply to

• Ramster92
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 11 2018
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

Sorry, realized I should have provided more date, so here goes:

I'm running MC 2018.12.7 on an HP Z840, Windows 7 Pro, 2x Intel Xeon E5 processors running at 2.3GHz, 32GB RAM, 1Gb ethernet connection, nVidia Quadro K4200 (driver version 411.95).

I work with Avid shared storage (combination of ISIS and NEXIS). MXF media is distributed over multiple volumes and multiple large subfolders (I'd approximate 500+ directories). I couldn't tell you the total file count, but it's huge, definitely in the hundreds of thousands, possibly over a million.

The MSMRescans occur every time I switch application and every time I open a bin. They occasionally occur in other instances. The majority of the time console logs show 5.5 seconds on the rescan, though it really adds up to 10/15 seconds with application response figured into it. When I said 30 minutes of wait time I meant that's what it added up to over the whole day, not a single instance. 

It all seems very obvious, I have a rediculously large number of directories to rescan so response time is terrible, but I don't know that that's something I can change... But I have to do something working like this is quite unbearable.

• Wed, Sep 11 2019 8:28 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,502
    • Points 42,200

Ramster92:

The MSMRescans occur every time I switch application and every time I open a bin. They occasionally occur in other instances.

That does not sound right.  Only adding something to a media folder should cause a rescan.

Again I do not know Avid storage, but this really sounds like you need to get a support case opened to me.

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Sep 12 2019 4:10 PM In reply to

Ramster92:
    The MSMRescans occur every time I switch application and every time I open a bin. They occasionally occur in other instances. The majority of the time console logs show 5.5 seconds on the rescan, though it really adds up to 10/15 seconds with application response figured into it. When I said 30 minutes of wait time I meant that's what it added up to over the whole day, not a single instance

I would first check with your shared storage admin and see if there are issues. Second, I would investigate media management and workflow to see if somethings can be streamlined.

PMR/MDB structure was developed under Unity shared storage. It worked well. However, when you have a very high count of databases that MC needs to scan and load you will feel latency with the project window, opening/closing bins, and sequences. Work with your media manager to reduce the number of databases (fewer workspaces, fewer workstations, restructure project media locations, etc.)

If you can't reduce then Interplay/MediaCentral bypasses the whole PMR/MDB structure. But that is a totally different discussion. Stick out tongue

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller