Latest post Mon, Aug 12 2019 2:35 PM by pixels.paradise. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 11 2019 1:44 PM

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 9 2012
    • Posts 48
    • Points 685

From Mac to PC, things to know.

Hi guys. first of all I hope this is the right place to put this thread.

I need a new pc for Avid Media Composer, I'm an editor who basically works in studios 80% of the time but I always need a machine at home in order to get some work done when I'm on small projects or when I have some ideas to test real quick.

In my enviroment (Italy) 99% of the machines used for Media Composer are Mac, I've had a 2012 Imac that served me well but this time I'm thinkig to build my own pc. The cost of the Imac 2019 (i9) is a little bit extreme in my opinion.

Is there something I need to know? If I'm surrounded with people on mac can I work on a PC without issues?

I'm talking about media files, exports (pro res and dnxhd), link to ama and transcode, are this things viable if you have to deal with people on macs?

• Sun, Aug 11 2019 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: From Mac to PC, things to know.

One of the places I do freelance work for has a mix of Macs and PCs, and I haven't noticed any major issues there.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Aug 11 2019 5:25 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 502
    • Points 6,000

You'll need to be able to read mac hsf+ harddrives to exchange data.

Macdrive and Paragon Hsf are two programs that can do that.

Fonts in the Title Tool are at least sometimes rendered a bit differently on mac an PC,

might need review when switching mac-pc during editing.

Intel just released new chips that are interesting for single processor workstations, the ones in the better new mac pros.

Socket 3647, might be a few months until available. Pricey, but with really nice new motherboards.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 11 2019 6:06 PM In reply to

Don't build a PC its just not worth the grief. I'd buy an HP G4 Z4 or similar.

Keep you imac and connect it to the PC over a network so you can transfer content between Mac and PC without issue.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Aug 11 2019 8:37 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,003
    • Points 12,535

Get MacDrive so you can read, write and format Mac drives. https://www.macdrive.com/ $50

Media Composer 2019.6 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Sun, Aug 11 2019 10:44 PM In reply to

• bmedia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Princeton, NJ
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,100

Second that. The HP Workstations (desktop or portable) are the dead simple way to go.

I've been working between Mac and PC for as long as I can remember with almost no issues other than what's already been mentioned. Macrdive or similiar a must. Other than needing to install some, fonts haven't really been an issue for me that I can recall.

HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 / 2.7 GHz Intel Xeon E2176M / NVIDIA Quadro P1000 / 16GB RAM / WIN10 Pro / MC 2019.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2019 2:35 PM In reply to

Mac created Avid projects with MediaFiles folders should work on PC without issues.

AMA links will go offline because of the different drive handling. Relinking should not be a problem.

HTH

pixel

iMac Mid 2016 / Sierra 10.12.6 / 32 GB RAM / MCA 2018.4 / MojoDX / Adobe CC 2018 / MBPro Mid 2015 / High Sierra 10.13. 6/ 16 GB RAM / MC 2018.8 / Adobe... [view my complete system specs]

What is editing? It´s the process of transforming a collection of badly focussed or horribly framed shots containing reversed screen directions, flare and dirt into a smooth visual statement of the script... ... for which the director takes the credit!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller