Latest post Mon, Aug 12 2019 6:29 PM by Marianna. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 1:02 PM

About 2019.7

Hi All

Airing some issues here, in order of appearance.

Overlapping window priorities

When dragging a bin window over the composer window, the bin will always stay on top even when clicking on composer. It used to be possible to have a bin behind composer or timeline window.

Scrolling in bins, Floating and always rearranging

Great to be able to float bins together, however, in a rapidly changing and growing project right now it feels like a total mess to me. Bins opening randomly somewhere in just any window as a tab, that takes getting used to and a lot of scanning the screen. I have to search for windows more than I had been used to. I am still not sure if I prefer floating to nonfloating. And when I click on a clip in a bin, it happens that I somehow scroll to the right hand side of the bin and have to scroll back to the left. Same with renaming clips. The clip icon is then hidden and I have to scroll left. I seem to spend a lot of time arranging and rearranging windows and bins right now.

Audio scrubbing and caps lock - Why?

Just bring it back.Why do I have to assign yet another key to it? I don´t have too many primary (not shift) keys left on my keyboard (none actually). What is the point? Of what other use is caps lock in MC? None.

MediaFile path display

OK this is not a new thing, but please allow displaying the media file path properly. I separate media in different folders inside the MXF folder. I am unable to find a way to display this folder structure or the path in bins or the media tool. Sorting often means to take all media except the ones I am looking for offline, rescan media tool, put them in a bin, repeat with the next folder. Why not have a single column displaying ...MXF/10 ... MXF/11 ... MXF/12 and so on.

Do you really want 136 items? An exercise in clip counting

There used to be an easy way to count clips in a bin. Select all and doubleclick. Then MC would ask if you want all these n clips, and you would know the number of clips in the bin. Gone. There´s a workaround though: Mark all, select get info on rightclick menu. It´s a few clicks more and I just miss the old functionality. And while I´m at it, why doesn´t bin info in the burger menu of a bin tell me about the demographics of the bin?

Bringing up preferences shortcut "CTRL+SHIFT+=" doesn´t work on my system

It doesn´t. German keyboard may be the reason?

Maximize bin window - nothing

Hitting the maximize window button on a bin or any other window like people have been doing it since at least windows 95 does the following: nothing.

New gui - tiny font

It has been possible for a long time now to change bin font size. The rest of the gui keeps getting smaller as the monitor resolution increases. I really should go back to 1024x768 screens in order to accomodate my still pretty good but according to Avid lacking eyesight (~0,5 dioptres). Changing system font size doesn´t really work. Text just gets cropped off. I remember an editor back from the days of CRT monitors, he used to reduce the resolution first thing when starting a project on a new computer. Wonder how he copes these days. Kinda frustrating I have to say.

Render ALL

I still miss that.

Host Panel Title Bar

One of two host panels has a title bar with minimize, maximize and close buttons, the other doesn´t. Why?

Playback sometimes jumping back a few frames after stop

Again? Yes, the latest blackmagic drivers. Yes, new user profile.

Shortcuts don´t work on 'naked' host panel

If no window like timeline or composer or a bin is selected but only the host window, shortcuts for bringing up windows don´t do anything. Clicking on timeline or whatever ist mandatory first.

Dragging windows

Hit your favorite shortcut for Audio Mixer and it will ALWAYS pop up right over the middle of the composer window. Then drag it to the left monitor like you have done 1k times. Close, repeat.

Avid Titler+

Select text block and drag it to position. I seem unable to do that without involuntarily changing aspect ratio, adding new text, changing font size without the textblock ever moving. I´m really frustrated with MC right now as you can tell. I always hated this on FCP, the mouse changing its function based on it being located a few pixels up or down. And the title+ editor, ahem, how do you enter values numerically? Clicking on the text immediately activates the composer window. Bug? Trying to figure out how to reset the aspect ratio of the bounding box in order to resetthe aspect ratio I gave up and started from scratch (with title tool). If Titler+ hints at the future of the GUI we will see many bad days.

Host Panels

Minimizing MC works like this for me: switch off one host panel, minimize the other. Or else the empty host panel stays active and occupies the monitor. Win+D will minimize everything, but when selecting a different application MC comes up uninvitedly.

That seems to be it for today, but I fear many more easter eggs will drive up my blood pressure tomorrow. Pitch in or tell me that I overreact :/

Cheers Thomas

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 2:05 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Long Island
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,655

Re: About 2019.7

Thomas Erichsen:

Do you really want 136 items? An exercise in clip counting

There used to be an easy way to count clips in a bin. Select all and doubleclick. Then MC would ask if you want all these n clips, and you would know the number of clips in the bin. Gone. There´s a workaround though: Mark all, select get info on rightclick menu. It´s a few clicks more and I just miss the old functionality. And while I´m at it, why doesn´t bin info in the burger menu of a bin tell me about the demographics of the bin?

The way I do is it to select all and then hit delete - and you get the pop up asking if you want to delete X amount of items.

Still a silly way to do it. I have to pretend to delete all my files to find out how many I have. Wish it was like the windows folder structure with just an amount of items at the bottom, then if you have 2 selected - it tells you have '10 items, 2 items selected'

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC2019.7/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.14.3/MC2019.6/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 2:28 PM In reply to

ramz434:
    Wish it was like the windows folder structure with just an amount of items at the bottom, then if you have 2 selected - it tells you have '10 items, 2 items selected'

That's a great idea. You should post it in the feature request forum.

http://community.avid.com/forums/44.aspx

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 2:43 PM In reply to

ramz434:
    The way I do is it to select all and then hit delete

Great idea! Thanks! As fast as the other method :)

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN7 64bit Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 7 2019 2:50 PM In reply to

Sorry to say, but if these problems don´t get out of my way soon or I find ways around them, I´ll go back to the latest 2018 version and wait a few years... Still cheaper to skip a year or three if I don´t use the new version anyway. Does anybody know if old versions continue to work? I used to have a perpetual license.

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 3:51 PM In reply to

Audio scrubbing and caps lock - Why?

Just bring it back.Why do I have to assign yet another key to it? I don´t have too many primary (not shift) keys left on my keyboard (none actually). What is the point? Of what other use is caps lock in MC? None.

I believe they had to change it due to issues in recent versions of MacOS. Caps Lock doesn't have a function in MC (except when you're creating Titles?). But, by taking the Audio Scrub off of Caps Lock, when you type an email to your client it doesn't start out lOOKING lIKE yOU'RE A mANIAC.

pERSONALLY, i PREFER THE cAPS lOCK CHANGE. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 3:58 PM In reply to

This is from Marianna in another thread: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/197289/883395.aspx#883395

The Caps Lock feature has been problematic since Sierra came out. It worked in El Cap.  

There have been numerous customer bugs that were entered over the years, some of which were due to OS changes/bugs causing Caps Lock functionality to break. So, we decided to replace Caps Lock with a mappable command key.

This means that Caps Lock is no longer used for digital audio scrub.

You should instead map the new “Toggle Digital Audio Scrub” (found on the Command Palette’s Play tab) to a keystroke and/or to a button on the timeline.

The new button will stay highlighted when in the audio scrub state.  Alternatively, you can still hold down shift to temporarily do digital audio scrub.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 6:58 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    So, we decided to replace Caps Lock with a mappable command key.

yEAH WELL THAT´S JUST BAD LUCK THEN i GUESS::: tHANKS FOR THE SHIFT REMINDER :)

• Wed, Aug 7 2019 7:12 PM In reply to

Playback sometimes still refuses to stop - new settings new blackmagic drivers :/

• Fri, Aug 9 2019 8:13 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,410

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback.  You and many others have made sure I stay on 18.12.6 for as long as possible!

I particularly noted about the font size which is an issue to me, I guess Avid are joining the rest in creating apps for young people only! ( I remember the ISBs - impossibly small buttons, on FC)  I use the biggest monitors possible at a sensible viewing distance although you can only buy 16:9 monitors now which does not help.

I appreciate progress but why dramatically change the interface for a generation of editors when it does not seem to add any functionality or speed up the workflow??

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 9 2019 12:03 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,484
    • Points 42,020

Gretski:

I appreciate progress but why dramatically change the interface for a generation of editors when it does not seem to add any functionality or speed up the workflow??

Well, it coud be a LOT worse.  Google "DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Boring Detector".  And no, it is not an April Fools joke on the wrong date.

At least Avid is attempting to stay with features professionals might want.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Aug 9 2019 12:36 PM In reply to

• Jon
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,410

That would be really funny if it WAS a joke!

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 9 2019 2:06 PM In reply to

jef:
    At least Avid is attempting to stay with features professionals might want.

Subjective list of recent major improvements that affect my workflow: AMA. More resolution. RTAS. 64bit. Background processes. All a while ago. Losing functionality or having to work around a bug is happening way more often. Being a paying customer since 2003 I have to say,  things I´d love to have are not really coming (resolving dialogs via keys, batch processing, macros, a window concept that is not a convoluted hybrid of three old ones, proper gui font-scaling, mixer with sends... just from the top of my head). Instead, the n´th change of interface color introducing lots of breaks for me. Sorry I know it´s all very complex and difficult and Avid is probably really fighting for the best, but all I want is improving or at least keeping the status quo re working speed. Instead I have to spend time and energy trying to understand how I mistreated the gui again.

Sorry for the bad mood [:'(] Wish you all a nice weekend anyway!

• Fri, Aug 9 2019 2:53 PM In reply to

I forgot to mention realtime motion effects. That's the kind of thing that makes me happy!

• Sat, Aug 10 2019 2:19 AM In reply to

jef:
    Well, it coud be a LOT worse.  Google "DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Boring Detector".
    Some of what I have seen on internet at present makes this seem like an essential addition for some editors tool kits.  

I was tempted into watching a 2 and a quarter hour "travel doco" on a place I thought I would find very interesting.  Average shot length over 5 minutes with a few going to over 15 minutes.  All clips handheld from an iPhone.   Average time any shot held still 3 frames.  Motion blur never subsided before the next whip pan.  Felt like back on acid again including the resultant headache. 

So Congratulations Blackmagic for addressing this steadily growing issue with the "Boring Detector"  Pity the person responsible for the edit above will never have the time to find this essential tool.    Hmm

Alayne

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller