Latest post Mon, Jul 15 2019 1:23 AM by Mark Job. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 11 2019 8:42 PM

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,095

Media Composer DAE (DAA) Audio Suite Pluggin Crash To Desktop

Hi Editors:

Laptop Editor here still going strong !!! Wassup cutters ?!! Stick out tongue I've gotta malfunction here and I was wondering if anyone can suggest what maybe going on with my setup ? I am running the last known version of Media Composer to qualify with my MacBook Pro Early Spring 2011 17 inch version machine. I'm running on Qualified MAC OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite) with second generation Core i7 (Sandybridge) Quad CPU, Radeon 6750M & Intel HD3000 GPU, with 16 Megs of DDR3 1333 MHz System RAM. - That's an Avid Approved Spec Machine (Except I put in more than 8 Megs of RAM). Whenever I try to apply an Audio Suite Affect MC crashes out to desktop with error "ALERT:"Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address      0x0" OK ? What now ?? Please advise.

Sincerely,

Mark Job

Laptop Editor

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Sat, Jul 13 2019 5:18 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,095

Re: Media Composer DAE (DAA) Audio Suite Pluggin Crash To Desktop

ConfusedConfusedBUMP!!!ConfusedConfused

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 2:10 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,240

Does it happen with any plugin or with a particular one? Is the Audio Suite set to your regular media drive?

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 2:43 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,095

Hi Cutyes:

Cutyes:

Does it happen with any plugin or with a particular one? 

........No just seems to be with the AAE service.

Cutyes:
    Is the Audio Suite set to your regular media drive?

......Don't know ? Should it be set to external media drive I am using or to the actual system drive ?

Sincerely,

Mark

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 3:39 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,240

What's the status of the Audio Suite? Is it showing "Connected to AAE"? (Bottom line)

The target drive should be (one of) the drive(s) where you usually keep your media files on. I am asking because once, on a system similar to yours, they had an ExFat formatted drive (besides the regular media drives) and the Audio Suite was by default pointing to this drive. Applying a plugin, without changing the target drive first, crashed the system every time.

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 4:08 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,095

Hi Cutyes:

Cutyes:
    What's the status of the Audio Suite? Is it showing "Connected to AAE"?
    ......Says Connected to AAE.
    Cutyes:
    The target drive should be (one of) the drive(s) where you usually keep your media files on.
    ........Yes. Both the audio and video drives are set to the external media drive I am using in the media creation settings.
    Cutyes:
    I am asking because once, on a system similar to yours, they had an ExFat formatted drive (besides the regular media drives) and the Audio Suite was by default pointing to this drive. Applying a plugin, without changing the target drive first, crashed the system every time.
    ......My external media drive is formatted as ExFat. Is this the cause of the AAE Service crashes ? Should I point audio back to my MAC OS System Boot Drive instead ? I had made the decision to format my external drive to ExFat, because I wanted the option to possibly pluggin my media drive to a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Platform at a later date. Is this bad for Media Composer ?

Sincerely,

Mark

EDIT: I cannot reformat my external media drive ! The entire edit is on that drive ! Reformating the drive will instantly extinguish all of the source filesConfused

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 1:16 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,240

Hey Mark,

sorry... different time zone over here... had to call it a night. ;)

Well, ExFat could be the troublemaker. So, yes, I would temporarily change the target drive to something that is HFS+ formatted. The boot drive is not exactly recommended. But if Media Composer shows your boot drive as an available media drive, you can test it there. For the test you don't have to change it in the Media Creation setting. There is a pull down menu inside the Audio Suite window. If you change it in Media Creation, make sure the the drive shown in the Audio Suite (which is what counts for the test) updates as well.

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 3:21 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,095

Hi Cutyes:

Cutyes:
    There is a pull down menu inside the Audio Suite window. If you change it in Media Creation, make sure the the drive shown in the Audio Suite (which is what counts for the test)
    ....Only the ExFat external media editing drive shows up and is checked. All other drives are greyed out. Confused. Yeah, looks like I need to get another HFS+ formatted external drive plugged in ASAP and try pointing the DAA at it (??). We will see if this corrects the situation ? Thanks for your assistance in pointing me in the direction of a solution Yes.

Mark

• Sun, Jul 14 2019 4:28 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,240

Mark Job:
    Only the ExFat external media editing drive shows up and is checked. All other drives are greyed out.

You could check if your boot drive is filtered out by the Media Creation settings. Maybe you can make it available for the test. If the filters are not active and you still don't see your boot drive, then you don't have write access to the root level of your system drive, which would be necessary to create a MediaFiles folder. There are ways to change that but I will not encourage you to do so. ;)

So, if the boot drive is not an option, you could create a second partition on any of your available drives. But without a backup - and since you don't have an extra drive for the test, I guess you won't have one for a backup either - that's always a potential risk.

How about a USB stick? Do you have one at hand? If recognized by Media Composer it would be sufficient for the test.

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 1:23 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,095

Hi Cutyes:

You wrote: 

Cutyes:
    How about a USB stick? Do you have one at hand? If recognized by Media Composer it would be sufficient for the test.
    ......Problem Solved ! Yes ! It is the EVIL ExFAT EXTERNAL MEDIA DRIVE !!!! AngryAngryAngryNoIdea !!! I will complete this job and NEVER use a media drive formatted in ExFat ever again !!! 

Thanks You For Your Kind and Excellent assistance ! You're a total Genius !!!Yes

Sincerely,

Mark

Laptop Editor 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller