Latest post Fri, May 31 2019 1:59 PM by Marianna. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 30 2019 5:06 PM

Timeline quality related to video mixdowns. 16 Bit?

Hello All,  

I am running MC 2018.12.5 with an Avid Artist I/O.  We're starting to do some testing for a new show that is going to be an 4k HDR Dolbyvision delivery.

I have been told by our client that the work pipeline must remain 4K and 16bit throughout finishing.

My quesiton is this:  Does the timeline quality setting matter if I am making mixdowns from the clips in the timeline that are 16 bit DNXUncompressed or any other 16 bit media?  I don't see an option under the timeline quality settings to do anything greater than 12 bit.  I have never been clear on if creating a mixdown even has anything to do with the TL quality setting, so I typically leave it at the highest setting when rendering or mixing down video.

I'd like to avoid creating lower quality mixdowns that has been downsampled from 16bit media. (assuming this even has anything to do with the mixdown media).  A little confused on this one so any explaination would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, May 31 2019 1:59 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Timeline quality related to video mixdowns. 16 Bit?

Hey there Ben......

Timeline quality setting is not affecting render/mixdown quality.

The max value of 12 bits on the timeline is related to the Hardware capabilities but for 10 and 12 bit modes, the processing is actually 16 bits.   So, when working with 10 or 12 bits media, the processing is 16 bits.

With 2019.6 coming soon, we are introducing floating point, in this case precision is 32 bits (float)

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller