Latest post Tue, Mar 12 2019 12:43 AM by wmcole. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 11 2019 12:54 AM

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 580
    • Points 7,700

Media Composer Keyboard Bugs and Options?

This may seem like an inappropriate place for this, but I am at a loss as to where else to turn.

I have a Logitech Media Composer keyboard that I have used for a long time.  For years it had the occaisional problem that a keystroke output would repeat 15 - 30 times while ignoring keystrokes input during the time the repeating key's character / action (backspace, space, tab...) was repeating.  I would clean the keyboard with compressed air and appropriate cleaner thinking that was the problem. 

Of late it is happening daily, two to three times per day.  And it seems to coincide with external HD access via USB and eSATA.  Since I moved system backups and "nearline" media archives to an eSATA RAID 5 installation, there is much more external HD traffic than before and that, I think, is the reason I am seeing this more and more.  During a backup, or playing media from an external drive it is almost impossible to use the keyboard for a single keystroke task without getting that stroke output repeated one to several dozen times.

I went to the Logitech support forum and found the repeating keystroke problem has been  known for years but Logitech support will not address it or respond to it beyond:

"This is just a confirmation that we received your message. Thank you for contacting us. We will respond as soon as possible!

NJ Sound Studio
    201-816-0123
    www.njsound.com"

It seems clear there is a techincal issue with Logitech TX/RX hardware logic in their keyboard controllers that they cannot / will not address.

So, the question is: Is there another supplier of keyboards for Windows systems that has Avid Media Composer keycaps that does not simply re-brand the Logitech keyboard so that I can get away from this issue that Logitech refuses to address?

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Mon, Feb 18 2019 6:22 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 65,160

Re: Media Composer Keyboard Bugs and Options?

I have Logickeyboard that is not, as far as I know, rebranded Logitech http://logickeyboard.com/shop/media-composer-pc-2346p.html it works pretty well, nice touch, doesn't have the issue You're experiencing. OTT, if Your motherboard has more than one USB controller (it should at least have separate USB 2 and USB 3), I'd try connecting the keyboard on a USB 2 port, and the external disks to USB 3.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Feb 24 2019 12:34 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 580
    • Points 7,700

Luca,

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, indeed I have a LogicKeyboard slimline not Logitech as I previously stated.  However, I found years of complaints regarding this problem on a Logitech user forum with the complaints getting more frequent at the same time external USB storage seemed to gain market share.  So I suspect LogicKeyboard uses the same hardware / firmware (ICs ASICs etc.) that LogiTech uses, thus the same problem appearing on keyboards from both manufacturers.  Anyway, I reported the problem to LogicKeyboard, and they got right back to me saying they had not heard of the problem before but would keep their eyes open for it. 

I have an HP z840 with nVIDIA Quadro M4000 in the Avid recommeded slot (slot 2), a Creative X-Fi Audio Processor in slot 3, and an ASMedia 106x SATA controller in slot 5 configured for 2 external eSATA ports, no internal SATA port.  AFAICT the audio and SATA card are on busses for CPU2 while USB 2 and USB 3 controllers are wired through the Intel PCI controller to CPU1 as are the internal SATA ports on the motherboard.

Wacom tablet and keyboardare connected to the two USB 2 ports on the rear of the workstation.  The remaining USB 3 ports (4) have a wired mouse, Seagate external drive which contains a hub to which a second Seagate external dirve is attached, and ASUS monitor USB hub with a Logitech Webcam and dongles (Avid and Lightwave) attached.

As an experiment, if you have an external USB drive connected, try running a full system backup to the external drive while typing a text document (word, notepad, wordpad) or email (Thunderbird...).  See if you get repeating keys.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Sun, Feb 24 2019 4:04 AM In reply to

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 12 2019 12:43 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 580
    • Points 7,700

Note sure what that 2005 thread has in common, except possibly wierd keyboard responses when playing back media from an external USB / eSATA drive within Media Compoaser ...

I replaced the keyboard with a LogiKeyboard Astra (backlit).  It is identical to the the slimline except it has backlighting and TWO USB CONNECTORS one marked for keyboard, the other apparently to serve the USB hub built into the keyboard for its two USB 2 ports. 

The separate connectors for the hub v. keyboard seemed to do the trick. During a system backup where the external eSATA array lights were on solid, I was able to type away without any repeated strokes. 

So the problem seems to be with the Logitech and Logikeyboards that have USB ports on the keyboard and only ONE USB connector on a system with USB or eSATA external storage and that external storage is actively being accessed.

-----

wmc

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller