Latest post Thu, Feb 7 2019 6:58 PM by BobRusso. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:10 PM

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,245

Multiple ISIS 5000 System Directors crashing w/ "Problem Saving Metadata"

Hi all,

We've recently been dealing with all three of our ISIS 5000 SDAs reporting "Avid ISIS System Director service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 one time. The following corrective action will be taken in 20000 milliseconds: Restart the Service" 

It is then followed by a "There is a problem saving metadata" error. These tend to occur overnight between midnight and 4am, when there are no clients working.

All three ISIS SDAs are in their own subnet with their storage engines. They are running ISIS 4.5. Clients are attached to whichever switches feed their rooms, and use the "Remote Host" option in the ISIS Client. Client use ISIS Client 4.7.11 to connect.

The only recent change, and it seems likely this may be the cause, is that a NEXIS SDA/E4 have been brought over from a secondary location and added onto the Avid network. It too is in it's own subnet, and is running NEXIS 2018.11. The clients who access the NEXIS are also running NEXIS Client 2018.11.

Just like the ISIS Clients, the NEXIS clients may be interacting with the switches in the sub domains of the ISIS', and they are utilizing the "Remote Host" option to access the NEXIS. Sometimes the NEXIS clients can see one of the ISIS units, but obviously cannot connect due to the version incompatibliity of ISIS 4.5 and the NEXIS Clients.

Is it possible that because the ISIS are not running 4.7.11 that the presence of the NEXIS or NEXIS clients is causing some sort of hiccup in the ISIS System Directors?

Thanks!

Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:18 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Multiple ISIS 5000 System Directors crashing w/ "Problem Saving Metadata"

There's no telling what the issue could be; ISIS 4.5 is an extremely old version with a host of known issues. I strongly recommend upgrading to 4.7.11 and updating the clients to the latest NEXIS Client. It's amazing you've been able to run v4.5 for so long.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, Feb 7 2019 3:44 PM In reply to

edit: nevermind (I didn't understand clearly)

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 7 2019 5:12 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,245

Thanks Bob,

The ISIS environment is  inherited from a corporate acquisition, and getting it updated is high on my list. The Nexis is coming from the environment I’ve been maintaining (which had its own ISIS 5000 on 4.7.11 without issue), so there’s that. 

• Thu, Feb 7 2019 6:44 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee

ISIS v4.5 was released in 2013. Is this a 5000 or 5500? The 5000 was EOL last year. The 5500 goes EOL next year. Either way, theses disks have been spinning for a very long time and it is likely time to start migrating away from them, I'm unsure if you can even order parts for the 5000/5500.
    While you're doing the ISIS upgrade, I'd recommend upgrading the MegaRaid software also. 
    As the drives start reporting high error counts, unless you're prepared to lose all the media (and with drives over 5 years old - you should be prepared for this), I recommend not doing a preemptive drive replacement. I've seen a second drive fail in a LUN while the first was being repaired a number of times.

• Thu, Feb 7 2019 6:50 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,245

They are ISIS 5000 units. The MSP that's been servicing them has been replacing drives as they start to show error counts, but yes, I agree with your recommendation. 

My goal is to push towards replacing these as possible with NEXIS units as soon as possible, but we will have to see how that goes.

Is the MegaRaid software included in the ISIS Software update download, or should I look elsewhere for that?

Thanks

• Thu, Feb 7 2019 6:58 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee

The MegaRAID software is available from Broadcom. Avid stopped shipping updated versions a long time ago because it included Oracle's Java; you can get the installer from Broadcom and run it. The UI is much more responsive along with bug fixes. 
    Preemptive drive swaps makes me very nervous.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller