Latest post Thu, Feb 14 2019 12:03 PM by lextv. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 6 2019 12:09 PM

• lextv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 29 2019
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Dealing with polywav audio – please Avid, can we sort this out!

So for years now, we’ve been working with audio that is delivered from sound recordists in either a polywav format or lots of single wavs. Typical track layout will be:

Track 1: Mix L

Track 2: Mix R

Track 3: Boom

Track 4: Contributor 1 radio mic

Track 5: Contributor 2 radio mic

Track 6: Contributor 3 radio mic

etc.

I work on shows where there are sometimes 14 contributors – each with their own radio mic. For understandable reasons, I don’t always want to put all this audio on the timeline as a lot of the time only 2 or 3 of my contributors are on screen.

Currently Avid makes it *** near impossible to identify what’s what on your timeline after you’ve laid it down. Particularly with polywavs. You can choose to show the text ‘clip tracks’ on the timeline, but this only gives you A1, A2, A3, etc. none of the metadata for the track labels is included. Most of the time I have different track layouts on different shoot days, so a track number is useless unless I continually cross-reference it with a table.

My current work around is to demand mono wavs from the sound recordists. I then turn off ‘Autodetect Broadcast Wave Monophonic Groups’ in the import settings. I then have lots of clips instead of a polywav. When these come in, I can see the metadata is there, but Avid has generated a column for every track for every clip and then filled in the track column for each clip only if the track is the current track. If this sounds difficult to understand – that’s because it is difficult to understand!

This is what you get…

NAME                          TRACKS            TRK1    TRK2    TRK3    TRK4    TRK5    TRK6

TEMP-6T01_1.WAV    A1                    Mix L

TEMP-6T01_2.WAV    A2                                Mix R

TEMP-6T01_3.WAV    A3                                            BOOM

TEMP-6T01_4.WAV    A4                                                        JACK

TEMP-6T01_5.WAV    A5                                                                    BOB

TEMP-6T01_6.WAV    A6                                                                                JIM

After a load of renaming clips (I add the track name to the clip name) and colouring up clips (each track a different colour – this is why I use monowavs), I finally get useful information that is translated to the timeline so that I can see what’s where.

Surely Avid should be able to read the metadata from polywavs and monowavs in such a way that we can have a timeline text option ‘clip track name’?

This has been unsatisfactory for far too long. I appreciate that most people are doing single camera shoots with one or two audio sources, but Media Composer is a pro product and should be operating as such. On many occasions, audio doesn’t make its way to the dubbing suite for the final mix simply because it is lost in the offline edit because editors find it too difficult to organise.

In an ideal world, the polywav would be able to display each track’s name on the timeline AND you would be able to colour each track independently (rather than the whole clip) so that you can easily identify what’s on your timeline.

I have more than 1 crate of beer sitting here waiting for someone at avid taking the reins on this and sorting it out!

• Wed, Feb 6 2019 6:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Dealing with polywav audio – please Avid, can we sort this out!

Lex

Can I get the version of MC you are using and the OS so I can attempt to reprouce this.  Also are you able to send a polywav or wave file or attach on to this thread so I can try that.  if not you can email me

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 6 2019 8:07 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,095
    • Points 12,520

There’s been FRs related to this previously...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/160919.aspx

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/119494.aspx - interesting approach renaming source files to get metadata as clip text in timeline 

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/182560.aspx

• Thu, Feb 7 2019 9:46 AM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,655

That feature would be really nice in offline, pullling the embedded recorder track layout and having it as a selectabe display would be great.

I suppose there would need to be a character limit but thats a cool idea and i would think very welome by offline editors!

• Thu, Feb 7 2019 2:02 PM In reply to

• lextv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Hi Trevor

Thanks - yeah I've read through all of them over the years and settled on my workaround, which is very similar. I'm just getting frustrated that there needs to be a workaround.

Marianna - thanks. This is every version of Avid ever on every OS, but I'll happily send you some examples of what I'm talking about!

• Sun, Feb 10 2019 5:26 PM In reply to

TrevorA:

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/119494.aspx - interesting approach renaming source files to get metadata as clip text in timeline 

Thanks for posting... I totally forgot about that little gem.... and it still works.

Here’s a link to a detailed PVC post (including great links) that’s all about this audio meta data stuff, across various NLE’s including MC.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/adobe-and-avid-need-to-support-ixml-metadata-for-audio-channels-in-the-timeline/

The Avid part of PVC’s article’s discussion is relevant to this thread.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 11 2019 9:43 AM In reply to

• lextv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

That's a really great link that goes into a lot of detail. Interesting that others (even the more prosumer products) in the market are taking this seriously.

Come on avid. It's clear that we've been asking for this for years. This isn't even something that we should need to be asking for. We deal with metadata on nearly everything and it's shameful that we can't use really basic metadata from our sound guys in our edits without creating long and painful workarounds.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we put a team on this and sort it as a priority.

• Mon, Feb 11 2019 8:14 PM In reply to

lextv:
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we put a team on this and sort it as a priority.

Please.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2019 12:03 PM In reply to

• lextv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

NEW WORKAROUND

So while we wait, I've developed a new workaround. It's a little python script that will take a folder full of mixer labelled mono wavs, looks at the metadata and renames them so that they start with the name of the track. It also fixes a track numbers above 9 issue when the mixer starts calling them _A, _B, _C instead of _10, _11, _12.

So XXXXX-4T04_D becomes HARRY_XXXXX-4T04_13

Instructions at the top of the script!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nCwJ28Nah0Vq7MHX_GH1b_VHeBfZdqne

(v0.2b update - ammended to deal with polywavs split up with BWF manager)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller