Latest post Mon, Jan 28 2019 11:07 PM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 8:08 AM

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 509
    • Points 6,530

avid-davinci roundtrip question

Hey, I imported an AAF sequence into resolve to do some color work. When I sent the sequence back to MC I notice some grain in the blacks. I don't see the issue in resolve though. Could it be a setting that I missed that is causing this. I am on MC 8.4 and Resolve 15. Exported with resolve default AFF preset, Format MXF Op-ATOM, codec DNxHD, type 1080p 220/185/175 b-bit, Also is it possible to just export Audio and titles with the AAF and do a complete export for the web to Resolve. I don't like the look of Squeeze and Resolve seems to be better to me. I prefer to make the final export a bit easier and skip using 3 apps.

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 9:52 AM In reply to

Re: avid-davinci roundtrip question

Wasn't the media you were watching in Reslve the same media sent to MC?

And if so that same media playng via the same IO must be the same surely?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 5:24 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 187
    • Points 2,220

Keep in mind that Avid's source/record viewers are displaying "video levels" (16-235) while Resove is showing "full levels" (0-255, technically 0-1023 since Resolve works in 10 bit). The result is that Avid is going to appear to have lifted blacks compared to what Resolve is showing.

You can right click in the viewer and choose "composer settings" from the menu and then "viewer". You'll see drop down selections for both source and record viewers, you can click one and choose Rec 709 [full range] from the list.

The levels should then appear like they did in Resolve.

As for exporting everything in an AAF, that is certainly doable...lot of professional productions use that workflow in an editor doing the edit and exporting an AAF to a colorist to grade and conform and export. Most of the time a mixdown of the final audio is supplied to the colorist seperately. There are some things that don't translate between Avid and Resolve, like some types of transitions and audio effects.

Best thing to do is to also export a video out of Avid to be able to use as a reference in Resolve to look for any changes after you import your AAF into Resolve so that you can correct any differences.

MC 2018.4 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. MC 2018.5 Asus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 28 2019 11:01 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,373
    • Points 40,745

dew:

Also is it possible to just export Audio and titles with the AAF and do a complete export for the web to Resolve.

Yes, but it requires some pre-planning and work.

Audio is simple.  - Send a a Wav file from the mixer to Resolve.  (Good luck getting the Fairlight settings right.  When you figure that out, post a tutorial!Big Smile

Titles are the big issue.  Avid does NOT export alpha channels.  So any titles created in Avid are locked there.  The only real work around is to create all titles in Photoshop or After Effects, import into Avid and place them.  Then export an AAF linking to the media and when you import in Resolve have it relink to the Photoshop / After Effects files themselves, not the Avid media created when you imported them into Avid.  Then you have to get Resolve to see the alpha channels correctly, double check all the timings, positions, etc.  And I am leaving out some steps.  We have tried this.  It is not fun on a graphics heavy show.

Learning all the ins and outs of a solid round trip seems easier to me.  That is full of mine fields as well.  Just my opinion.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Jan 28 2019 11:07 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,373
    • Points 40,745

dew:

Hey, I imported an AAF sequence into resolve to do some color work. When I sent the sequence back to MC I notice some grain in the blacks. I don't see the issue in resolve though.

Questions. 

Is Resolve on the same system as Avid?

If so, is it fair to say you viewed both on the same broadcast monitor?

Did you take off all Color Correction effects / LUTS / etc before sending to Resolve?  If you did not and the Round trip works as it should, all of those color effects will be on the returned sequence from Resolve.  That means you could have double corrected footage or double LUTed footage.  This has happened to me when I was not paying attention.  If this is the case you can remove all the CCs and LUTs.  It can be a bit tedious.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller