Latest post Sun, Mar 17 2019 1:35 AM by pantau. 52 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 20 2019 6:47 PM In reply to

Re: Convert OMF to MXF without transcoding

DonE:
    When you QT SAS export a sequence you will have a mov with all the different codecs used in your sequence.
    No, it will choosed one, and re-encode whatever is not in that codec flavor.

DonE:
    I think only when Avid shows "Fast Importing.." is it a rewrap.

True.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 20 2019 6:52 PM In reply to

pantau:
    get an error saying that the sequence "contains clips with image size reformatting" (which is not the case)

That can be a DV issue, having 480 in stead of 486 lines in SD NTSC.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 20 2019 7:13 PM In reply to

pantau:
    even though in media creation mxf is selected

I just ran a quick test.

Indeed, if you have OMF media in your sequence and you consolidate the sequence, the resulting consolidated clips are OMF, even when the project's Media Creation settings are set to MXF.

That said, if you take a Master Clip that is in OMF, select that Master clip in the bin, and choose Consolidate, while the Project's Media Creation settings are set to MXF, the resulting new master clip is MXF.

I don't know why but that's how it works.

So if you need to get this done, set your media creation settings to MXF, and make sure that you set the media type for sound as well, in Audio Project settings.

Copy the sequence you want to export into a new bin. Then choose Bin->Set Bin Display, and tick the bottom box ('Show reference clips'). This will now show all the source clips for the sequence in this bin. Select those master clips, consolidate those, using the option to 'Relink native Master clips to media on the Target drive'. The sequence should automatically link up to the newly created MXF media this way.

(Actually, any other sequences in the project will link to these new mediafiles as well, but if you hide the MXF mediafiles from the system, you can always link back to the OMF mediafiles this way.)

This all should at least accomplish what you are trying to do: rewrap the media into MXF mediafiles. You may then export an AAF, either embedded or linked.

Please do realize that AAF's exports and imports between different NLE's aren't always successful, though.

• Sun, Jan 20 2019 8:05 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 31 2005
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,955

Job ter Burg:

Copy the sequence you want to export into a new bin. Then choose Bin->Set Bin Display, and tick the bottom box ('Show reference clips'). This will now show all the source clips for the sequence in this bin. Select those master clips, consolidate those, using the option to 'Relink native Master clips to media on the Target drive'. The sequence should automatically link up to the newly created MXF media this way.

This sounds great, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work the same way on my system.

However, I chose "Keep native master clips linked ...", so I would get new master clips. But the result is OMF again.

I'd kind of prefer not to mix with the original clips/links...

Win7 SP1 Avid 8.3.1 Quicktime 7.7.9 IBM Carbon X1 5th, 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 20 2019 8:09 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,955

DonE:

The idea of QT SAS export, fast import and relink is based on exporting your source clips for your sequence. This may be more work than you want to do. I did test a single clip export / fast import and am fairly sure it was a rewrap in both directions.

I tried both QT and QT Ref from the master clip. Reimporting says "creating video from ...", so I'm sure its recoded and not rewraped.

Win7 SP1 Avid 8.3.1 Quicktime 7.7.9 IBM Carbon X1 5th, 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 20 2019 8:15 PM In reply to

pantau:
    This sounds great, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work the same way on my system.

That is surprising. I tried this on 2018.5 just now, not sure what version you're on.

However, I chose "Keep native master clips linked ...", so I would get new master clips.
    You'll get new mediafiles and new masterclips anyway. The only difference is that my method will result your original masterclips will link to the new MXF media, whereas your option (keep native master clips linked...) will create .new masterclips, without the sequence linking to them.

So are you sure you're looking at the right clips & media after the process?

• Sun, Jan 20 2019 8:19 PM In reply to

pantau:
    Reimporting says "creating video from ...", so I'm sure its recoded and not rewraped.

A Fast Import (re-wrap) only happens if

1. the codec of the source file is in a codec native to MC

2. the frame size of the source file matches the project's size exactly

3. the framerate of the source file matches the project's framerate exactly

4. the luminance levels in the import settins are set to "Do not modify, treat as legal range"  (previously named '601/709')

• Sun, Jan 20 2019 11:27 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,955

Job ter Burg:

That is surprising. I tried this on 2018.5 just now, not sure what version you're on.

I tried again, double checking the media creation settings, both ways (linked and relinking). The result is always OMF. However, I'm on MC 8.3.1 still...

• Sun, Jan 20 2019 11:33 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,955

Job ter Burg:

A Fast Import (re-wrap) only happens if

1. the codec of the source file is in a codec native to MC

2. the frame size of the source file matches the project's size exactly

3. the framerate of the source file matches the project's framerate exactly

4. the luminance levels in the import settins are set to "Do not modify, treat as legal range"  (previously named '601/709')

I export QT movie "same as source", DV frame size, 601/709 levels. "Use Avid Codecs" selected or not, it always imports "slowly".

QT reference doesn't work as I said.

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 6:46 AM In reply to

pantau:

Job ter Burg:

I tried again, double checking the media creation settings, both ways (linked and relinking). The result is always OMF. However, I'm on MC 8.3.1 still...

I don’t understand what you mean by “linked and relinking”.

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 8:13 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,499
    • Points 64,510

If the object is opening a sequence in another NLE, google for "roundtrip MC to -put the target editor here-", plenty of info available, but why not simply going by the book?

luca.mg:
    You can't export AAF from an OMF based project, go to the Media creation settings and switch to MXF, export the sequence, no need to consolidate/transcode first, in the export settings choose "Consolidate media", in the "Transcode video to" dropdown menu pick Your favourite flavour of MXF, You can set the "Media destination" to wherever You like, that's the place where the newly created MXF files will land, and the AAF will point to.

Things might be slightly different on MC 8.x, but You should be able to find Your way around the menus. This always worked for export to ProTools, but to be honest no video files were involved. Flipping the project to HD might increase the chances of success. Remember to CTRL-s after tinkering with the settings. There's no way that I know of to just turn the OMF files into MXF without making a physical copy of some kind, being it a transcode or a rewrap, You'll end up with the original source files and the corresponding MXF files.

Other than that, I can only think to access the original footage from the target NLE, and relink it to an EDL, empty AAF or OMF composition, XML file, exported from MC.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:59 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,955

Job ter Burg:

I don’t understand what you mean by “linked and relinking”.

Using/not using the option to 'Relink native Master clips to media on the Target drive'.

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:02 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,955

luca.mg:

If the object is opening a sequence in another NLE, google for "roundtrip MC to -put the target editor here-", plenty of info available, but why not simply going by the book?

The export/import through AAF works without problem, but the OMF media files cannot be read by neither Resolve nor Premiere. As far as I can see, rewrapping them with ffmeg seems to be the only solution.

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 8:08 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,499
    • Points 64,510

Third time I write this: in the AAF export window select the option to consolidate to MXF.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jan 22 2019 4:29 PM In reply to

• DonE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2009
    • California, USA
    • Posts 81
    • Points 985

Got back in front of Avid this morning and ran a couple of quick tests as we have MC8.2.11, 8.6.5 and 2018.12. Just wondering if this could be version related. I am testing in 30i NTSC where I have OMF DV test files available.

I tried to follow Jobs method for Consolidate which seems like it would be the best solution:
    Media Creation stet MXF DV 50, new bin, sequence with the OMF DV (mine DV 50), show reference clips, select the source clip, Consolidate to new Target drive and I tried Keeep and Relink. On all three MC versions the new target video media is OMF. On 2018.12 I tried this with DV 50 and DV25 411. Maybe I missed something...

I tried QT SAS export (601/709/legal) of my Source clip and then Import (sized for current, 601/709/legal, Field ordered for current) and in all three MC versions I got the "Fast Import..". Not sure why Pantau is unable to Fast Import.

1x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP z800-dual 6core-24GB-Quadro FX 4800-Nitris DX QT775 NV340.84** 3x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP xw8600-8GB-Quadro FX 3700... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller