Latest post Mon, Jul 15 2019 3:30 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 73 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 27 2019 1:05 PM In reply to

Re: Background Bin Save is a disaster

Hi Marianna et al.

I have several editors with this issue. 

We're running 2018.12.3 and Nexis Mgr 2019.2.2 on HP z4's or HPZ840's, I have been encouraging our edit assistants to turn on all suites and enter the 'BackgroundBinSave' command to disable and it seems to be helping. 

We have had a few rare instances of bins not saving for X amount of hours too, but we have quite a few editors used to hitting save constantly being ex-MAC.

will keep an eye on this thread as i'm loathe to update whilst edits are mid-production here (unless necessary)

ACSR Elite 4 x z840 MC2018.11 w/Symphony option, Baselight for Avid, Neatvideo 17 x z840 MC2018.11 5 x z4 MC2018.11 4 x 440 MC2018.11 All with Boris... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 4 2019 1:09 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 23 2014
    • Cologne
    • Posts 52
    • Points 715

We urgently need to have a script, that deactivates Background Bin save each time at startup. Could you send this as feature request, please? Since a half year we deactivating this manually... [:'(]

Doing regular manual saves are still the only way to be sure your work is secure and its a trick old school editors won't drop. [view my complete system specs]

Thomas Poerschke, Editor & Colorist

ColorGrading.TV @ MMC Studios Köln, Am Coloneum 1, 50829 Cologne, Germany
    web: www.colorgrading.tv

• Thu, Jul 4 2019 1:19 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 192
    • Points 2,150

This is what I got from support.

Make a text file named ReleasedFeatures.ftf in C:\ProgramData\Avid\Support with the following 6 lines:

{

"Media Composer": {

"BackgroundBinSave": false,

"UnifiedBinSave": false

}

}

Media Composer 2018.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Thu, Jul 4 2019 1:56 PM In reply to

Big Smile Thanks for sharing this Info!

Doing regular manual saves are still the only way to be sure your work is secure and its a trick old school editors won't drop. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 4 2019 3:41 PM In reply to

Do you know the path for Mac OS?

• Sat, Jul 6 2019 8:09 AM In reply to

Hi Guys,

Just had a call from an upset editor that lost hours of work. His system: HP z4 win 10 1803 Nexis client 19.4.2 and MC 2018.12.3. 

I'm going to update his system to Nexis client 19.6 and MC 2018.12.6 but is anybody aware if this problem has been fixed?

Applying the script on the systems is an option but since multiple cases were opened months ago I assume development has something to report or at least I hope... Marianna, any news?

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sat, Jul 6 2019 3:58 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

knejmann:

This is what I got from support.

Make a text file named ReleasedFeatures.ftf in C:\ProgramData\Avid\Support with the following 6 lines:

{

"Media Composer": {

"BackgroundBinSave": false,

"UnifiedBinSave": false

}

}

So, can this be used on both PC and Mac?  If yes for Mac, what is the location to place this file?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jul 7 2019 5:09 AM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 192
    • Points 2,150

I’ve found a document that mentions the releasedfeatures file and from that I can read that the path is

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Avid/Support

Source: http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Readme_Access_V3.7.4.pdf

Media Composer 2018.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Sun, Jul 7 2019 4:18 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

knejmann:

I’ve found a document that mentions the releasedfeatures file and from that I can read that the path is

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Avid/Support

Source: http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Readme_Access_V3.7.4.pdf

Thanks for that, but it is not working for me.

First I went to that location - there were no files in that folder.  So I made one as best I could.  After a restart, console seems to show that the system is still starting with Backround Bin Save enabled.

And the Featured Toggle Info shows nothing.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sun, Jul 7 2019 5:01 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

Perhaps the script file has to be flagged as executable, I believe You'll be better off posting this over the Mac forum.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jul 8 2019 1:11 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

luca.mg:

Perhaps the script file has to be flagged as executable, I believe You'll be better off posting this over the Mac forum.

Good point.  I had not even noticed where I was!!Big Smile

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Jul 8 2019 1:55 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,637
    • Points 46,705
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I would not think the file needs to be executable, merely readable. Media Composer is reading the file; the OS isn't executing it. The filename is case insensitive (PC and Mac), so ReleasedFeatures.ftf is the same as releasedfeatures.ftf. I'm pretty sure that symbols inside the file are case sensitive.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jul 8 2019 2:39 PM In reply to

Just Copy the same file for Windows at Mac to 'Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Support'. And everything runs well. So it does with us. If not, than the file itself is wrong.

• Mon, Jul 8 2019 3:42 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,471
    • Points 41,855

I was very careful to copy / paste the info given and to create the file as descibed in the doc referenced.

I am very human, so mistakes could happen.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Jul 8 2019 4:32 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,673
    • Points 61,070

jef:

Thanks for that, but it is not working for me.

First I went to that location - there were no files in that folder.  So I made one as best I could....

Jef

What does 'as best I could' mean, Jef?

If you were working in Windows (which I presume you are not) one of the challenges is that the file created must have the extension .ftf and yet there is no way to create such a file unless you tell Windows to show files with known extensions (otherwise a hidden extension will be .txt if the file was created via 'New Text Document'... or something like that. Does OSX have the same feature? Are you sure the full file name is 'ReleasedFeatures.ftf'

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 4 of 5 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller