Latest post Thu, Nov 7 2019 10:19 PM by Marcus Johnson. 36 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 28 2019 4:03 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Titler+ - The good, the not-so-good and the ugly...

Look at the NewBlue titler. Much improved since first release. Good for UHD.

iMac i5 27", 32GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.8, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.6 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, Jun 28 2019 4:16 PM In reply to

Roger Shufflebottom:

Look at the NewBlue titler. Much improved since first release. Good for UHD.

Good to know.   When I tried it a couple of years ago, it crashed more times than a jalopy in the demoliton derby.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 10:09 AM In reply to

"The impression I have is that it was not thought out from a user perspective, the result is nowhere near as intuitive as it should be for software today. "

Wait...you expected Avid to come out with something that would be intuitive? If they had, it would go against the core principle of Avid, which is to design tools that work as unintuitive as humanly possible. The only thing Avid has going for it over Premiere is the same thing that Windows has over Macs: it has more powerful tools and it is more customizable than Premiere just like Windows has more powerful (depending on your computer of course) and is more customizable than Mac OS.

But if you want software that is intuitive, Premiere is hands down more intuitive and better designed with many functions made faster and easier than Avid. If only they would swallow their pride and apply some of them. I think the new Avid interface is a step in that direction, even though I do miss some of the old interface's layout. 

But yeah, if I was to summarize the new titler + I would say that it sucks.

Avid MC 2019.8.0 | Mac Pro 2012 | 12-Core 3.33 GHz Intel Xeon | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080ti | Blackmagic Design Decklink 8K | 500GB Sandisk Pro PCIe... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 5 2019 2:41 PM In reply to

Joshua King Ortiz:
    Wait...you expected Avid to come out with something that would be intuitive? If they had, it would go against the core principle of Avid, which is to design tools that work as unintuitive as humanly possible.

I have always found MC very intuitive, but maybe that's the result of over twenty years of muscle memory developed by working with the software.   My problem with Titler+ is not that it's counter-intuitive.   My problem with Titler+ is the darn thing doesn't work...and there's no documentation on how to learn it.  

I've learned counter-intuitive programs with a steep learning curve over the years, but there have been resources that helped me learn it until the program became intuitive with use.   When I first jumped into Photoshop, there were a lot of things that were counter-intuitive ("Place" instead of "Paste" for example) but now it's second nature.  The early versions of BCC were not easy to learn, but Boris put out a lot of great tutorials and now I'm very comfortable using this powerful plug-in.  

Avid needs to put out a fast 4K titler that works and support it with documentation.   Is that too much to ask?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 7:23 PM In reply to

I've moaned about this and I think they have been making incremental improvements but it is slow and clunky to use. I now see why it was introduced due to the imminent demise of NewBlue Titler Pro (which I had got used to!). As someone else said, many fonts just don't work in T+. And it's like two sets of programmers were given different tasks - one did the T+ initial window and one did the implementation in the Effect Editor. It is a pain to use. NBT Pro is so much better but why do we have to pay a  *discounted* price to get something that is actually fairly logical to use? And I miss the old Title Tool ability to make new clips rather than effect templates. And to finally nail my retro leanings, I like Marquee!

iMac i5 27", 32GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.8, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.6 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Wed, Nov 6 2019 12:11 AM In reply to

Roger Shufflebottom:
    And to finally nail my retro leanings, I like Marquee!

I was a Marquee fan, too.  Back in the day, it was quite capable yet simple and easy to use.   If Avid had stuck with it and continued to develop Marquee, who knows how powerful it would be by now.   Heck, if Marquee supported 4K, I'd still be using it.

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 10:19 PM In reply to

Roger Shufflebottom:

I've moaned about this and I think they have been making incremental improvements but it is slow and clunky to use. I now see why it was introduced due to the imminent demise of NewBlue Titler Pro (which I had got used to!). As someone else said, many fonts just don't work in T+. And it's like two sets of programmers were given different tasks - one did the T+ initial window and one did the implementation in the Effect Editor. It is a pain to use. NBT Pro is so much better but why do we have to pay a  *discounted* price to get something that is actually fairly logical to use? And I miss the old Title Tool ability to make new clips rather than effect templates. And to finally nail my retro leanings, I like Marquee!

Well, "imminent demise" might be a bit of an exaggeration, we have no intention of discontinuing Titler Pro or dropping support for Media Composer. Of course it will not come included with Media Composer anymore.

One thing I will add for anyone that wants to keep using Titler Pro but perhaps doesn't want to immediately buy it outright, Titler Pro 7 comes in our TotalFX package which you can get by subscription: https://www.newbluefx.com/products/totalfx/#pricingAnchor

Page 3 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller