Latest post Fri, Dec 7 2018 3:46 PM by Telegram!. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 4 2018 7:04 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Points 725

Moving a clip relative to a specific reference point on the timeline.

Even though it's four years since I moved from Liquid Silver/Liquid Chrome HD to Avid MC, I still find I am missing some of the features of Liquid.

One of these related to moving a clip on the timeline to a position relative to a specific point on the timeline - usually a point referenced on another clip.

When moving a clip in Liquid, pressing the mouse left key to grab the clip moved the timeline cursor (vertical line) to the front of the clip, so that the cursor moved with the clip, allowing the editor to align the cursor with a desired point somewhere else on the timeline. One could also lock the cursor to a specific frame on the clip to me moved, if this was the reference frame in the clip that needed to be aligned with some specific point somewhere else on the timeline.

Apart from trial and error and good spacial judgement, I have so far found no other way to accomplish this in Avid MC - is there a hidden trick that I haven't discovered?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 4 2018 7:31 PM In reply to

Re: Moving a clip relative to a specific reference point on the timeline.

I never used Liquid, so I'm not 100% sure I understand, but if you mark an in point where you want your clip to begin, then select it in segment mode, then hold CTRL while dragging the clip, it will snap to the in point.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Dec 5 2018 8:42 AM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:

Even though it's four years since I moved from Liquid Silver/Liquid Chrome HD to Avid MC, I still find I am missing some of the features of Liquid.

One of these related to moving a clip on the timeline to a position relative to a specific point on the timeline - usually a point referenced on another clip.

When moving a clip in Liquid, pressing the mouse left key to grab the clip moved the timeline cursor (vertical line) to the front of the clip, so that the cursor moved with the clip, allowing the editor to align the cursor with a desired point somewhere else on the timeline. One could also lock the cursor to a specific frame on the clip to me moved, if this was the reference frame in the clip that needed to be aligned with some specific point somewhere else on the timeline.

Apart from trial and error and good spacial judgement, I have so far found no other way to accomplish this in Avid MC - is there a hidden trick that I haven't discovered?

When you say “trial and error” what does that mean, how do you deal with an error? Undo or ???

What you described about Liquid sounds clear and good.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 6 2018 6:11 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

What Carl said. Moreover, You can also park the blue bar wherever You want to land the beginning of the clip, and CTRL-drag.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:28 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 725

A nice trick in Liquid was being able to set a marker at any frame in the timeline, and then grab the markr with the mouse, which would move the blue cursor to the marker poisition, so thta you could drag the clip from this point and line the cursor (and thus the marked fra of the clip being moved) up with any arbitrary point on another clip to which you anted to align.

Another Liquid trick which I miss was the ability to grab and drag a clip on the timeline, with the cursor and drag point aligned to the end of the clip - useful when it is the end of the clip which you want to aling to another point on the timeline. I haven't found out if Avid can do this.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:30 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 725

I agree Luca - but what if you want to use the cursor to position an arbitrary point of th clip to b moved - other than eitgher guessing (trial and error) or measuring up to calculate the timecode offset, it doesn't seem that Avid can do this quickly.

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 8:30 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 172
    • Points 1,865

Adrian Redmond:
    Another Liquid trick which I miss was the ability to grab and drag a clip on the timeline, with the cursor and drag point aligned to the end of the clip - useful when it is the end of the clip which you want to aling to another point on the timeline. I haven't found out if Avid can do this.

Holding ctrl while dragging the clip will make the start of the clip snap to "events" on the timeline.

Holding ctrl+alt wil make the end of the clip snap. Is that what you're looking for?

Media Composer 8.2.11 (some with Symphony option) - Windows 7 - HP Z420/Z820 (Nitris DX), Lenovo W540 etc. - Interplay and ISIS7000+NEXIS storage - Avid... [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 8:43 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    the ability to grab and drag a clip on the timeline, with the cursor and drag point aligned to the end of the clip - useful when it is the end of the clip which you want to aling to another point on the timeline.

If you select a clip, and press & hold CTRL+ALT while dragging, it will snap the end of the clip to wherever you want it to go.

[eta] x-posted with Kare.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Dec 7 2018 8:08 AM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:

Still trying to understand what the exact innovation was you are describing from Liquid, re: moving a clip with a “reference frame” that is located somewhere in between the top or tail of a timeline clip... if you drag such a clip to a new position, say three or more clips earlier on the timeline, what happened when you released the “drag” ? Did it eliminate the part of the moved clip between its reference point and its top? What if you dropped it a few clips later on the timeline? Was it a Splice-In or a destructive Overwrite?

Was there a snapping concept as it relates to Liquid’s clip top/tail or markers, other stuff that may have been present on the timeline at the “drag drop” position?

Or was this feature limited to adjacent timeline clips only? If so, check out Tops Tails in MC, or maybe Smart Tool’s single red roller trimming.

Also: did Liquid somehow do this with a series of clips to be dragged/dropped? 

MC has improved tremendously with regards to clip timeline movement, re-arrangement and copying in recent years. There are still some advances that I feel would make the timeline editing experience even more productive and I’ve described them in the past. Hopefully, someday they will make their way into MC like so many of our new feature requests. It just takes time.

As for your ask: In MC, some people use a combination of Match Frame followed by Replace Edit to re-arrange master clips or Group clips; also, we often make use of additional video (& audio) tracks to allow “see through” edits followed by nudging or Sliping to refine effective edits before committing them to one track; there’s probably 5 ways to get master clips from here to there, and a few ways to re-arrange the more complex FX-laden clips. 

Good luck and Happy New Year to MC editors, staff & engineers.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 8:08 AM In reply to

• Fri, Dec 7 2018 11:32 AM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 725

Hi Telegram,

Maybe I didn't explain the Liquid approach clearly - my apologies...

The concept in Liquid was, that when moving a clip to left or right, the blue line cursor followed the frame of the clip that the mouse grabbed - if for example you has a music track, with a marker at a specific position in the music that you wanted to sync with action in an overlaying video track, you could grab the clip with the mouse at this point, and the blue line would snap to it, so as you moved the clip, the blue line would show where that point in the audio clip would land with respect to whatever position on the video clip you wnted to sync to - this could also be a marker, or simply a visually identifiable fram in the video clip that could be seen on the viewer as you moved the clip back and forth.

Of course, if the clip being moved came to overlay another clip on the same track, it would overwrite it, but as I usually use different tacks for different sorts of audio, this would usually not be the case.

Seasons greetings...

• Fri, Dec 7 2018 3:46 PM In reply to

OK, if it’s just masterclips, you can either drop a marker or Add-Edit on it, or do the Match Frame then Replace Edit. Sounds like you want to do it all with the mouse, like you did in Liquid? You might try putting an Add-Edit at your clip’s “reference point”, lassoing / highlighting whatever clip section will move, then after you drop it in its new timeline place, use trim rollers to re-instate any part earlier you want back.

the new timeline clip duplicate tool is handy as hell for prepping clips or to receive a Replace Edit, while keeping originals on a lower track.

i suppose the old Liquid “sticky” cursor would be handy to have in MC, so make your feature request...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller