Latest post Thu, Nov 15 2018 12:48 AM by bushfilm. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 14 2018 7:24 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Export for YouTube

I am trying to export videos to Youtube but having some issues. Youtube says they accept MP4 and H.264 files but when I try to export/upload these files I get error message (do not recognize format,etc.) and very slow upload. Can someone point me in the right direction regarding optimal export settings to get my videos onto Youtube? Its almost impossibe to get a response from Youtube so I thought maybe someone here can explain it to me. Thanks a bunch!

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 8:35 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Re: Export for YouTube

Anyone?

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 9:15 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Well, after some searching (which I should have done FIRST), I am finding that everyone on the planet has a scheme for how to get the right files for upload to Youtube. Seriously, I am not looking for a debate or a technical show-off, just some simple instructions on how to do this. I know there are many ways to skin the cat, but I am just looking for a simple one, two, three. I know there are many questions to answer: original format, desired quality versus upload time, etc, etc. so there may not be a simple answer. BUT...

First, I don;t have Sorenson squeeze or Adobe Encoder, just Handbrake. Will this work to encode the video for Youtube? If so, what settings should I try? There is a dizzying amount of choices in Handbrake's export settings, so forgive me if I sound like a total bozo. Might be true. Anyways, I am willing to suffer a little with long upload times if it means a good looking finished product.

Can someone give me some good pointers on where to start with MC and Handbrake as my main tools? Really appreciate it.

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 9:40 PM In reply to

bushfilm:
    I am just looking for a simple one, two, three. I know there are many questions to answer: original format, desired quality versus upload time, etc, etc. so there may not be a simple answer.

Well, that's the thing. If all I know is "I need an export for YouTube, and the one I made is not working" then all I have to offer is the link to YouTube's own suggestions about file types and my best wishes and good luck to you.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

If you want better suggestions, it would help to know some more information.

1. What export settings are you trying now?

2. What is your current project format/frame rate?

3. Is your media just linked, linked and transcoded, imported, or something else? Whichever is the answer, what codec/resolution is it now?

4. Is it more important that the resulting file be really good quality or really small so it uploads faster? Or is it ok if it's really good quality and also a huge file?

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 10:08 PM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 503
    • Points 6,425

I just use Sorenson Squeeze preset for youtube. I have never had a issue with it. I do feel like the quality with the app isnt the best but this may be to me not tweaking the settings to improve it.

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 11:32 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,315
    • Points 59,940
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

For short sequences, I usually export to file (QuickTime) and import straight into Youtube... It takes a while but it is "mindless" and easy. fwiw.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 12:33 AM In reply to

It depends on your upload speed also.

I got 10mb upload so I export as DNxHD185X and upload the inital file.

The convertion of YouTube is very fast with DNxHD.

In other case I use TMPGenc to export as mp4.

At both cases there is absolutely no problem.

I personally never use .mp4 straight out of MC.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, Nov 15 2018 12:42 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

First, thanks to everyone for your help. I got some info from Creative Cow forum and this is what it says:

Youtube reads metadata from the video file if the meta data is wrong and does not match what they want they reject the file... If the app coders mess up the meta data code of the file the file will be rejected... If the coders of the app use a busted messed up encoder library the file will be rejected as the encoder will write the wrong meta data...
    Every container format has Different ways of coding the meta data and what meta data is stored to be readable... MP4 is different than MOV. MOV is different than WebM... but they are all containers of the video stream in a codec of H264..
    Every encoder ever written treats containers different based on how they write the file based on the encoder library they use...
    H264 in MP4 file is written Different than H264 in WebM... a Program may use a FFMPEG library to write H264 in MP4 and WebM but the app my use LibAV encoder to write H264 in MOV and then break the meta data storage compliance in the file...

Encoding a H264 video stream in MP4 is DIFFERENT to encoding H264 in MOV container...
    Re-encode the video Using Proven Apps like Handbrake, Sony vegas in H264 in MP4... Not Apples MOV container..

So following this advice, I tried exporting using the "same as source" setting, then using Handbrake to create an MP4 container with H.264 video inside it. Seems to work pretty well, not very long upload times and a pretty good looking image. I plan to experiment with different Handbrake settings to get maximum image quality with a reasonable upload time. For me, I don't mind waiting hours or overnight to upload if it means better looking video. Just crank it up and go to bed, next morning, voila! 
    Thanks again!
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 12:48 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Thanks,

export settings are Mpeg 4 and H.264 at best quality settings. Current project is 1080P 30fps. Media is all imported, no links. The footage was all imported at DNxHd145, though I plan to up-rez when edit is complete. Finally, I prefer really good quality, even if it means a longer upload time.

See post below, I think I finally figured it out, at least enough to get me where I need to be. Now I need to experiment with various Handbrake settings to see if there is a noticeable quality difference between some of the options.

I didn't realize that the different codecs/settings were so complicated, but I think I have it at least partially figured out.  Thanks again for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller