Latest post Sat, Nov 3 2018 12:14 PM by Mr. Kelly. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:26 PM

• Mr. Kelly
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 22 2018
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Newbie plea for help... and forgiveness!

Hi all,

In many ways, it could be said that I don't deserve help from you guys… πŸ™ƒπŸ™‚

I have an aging Windows 7 (Home) computer is that I built a bunch of years ago for ProTools use, and it still runs well. I have no means to replace it, and I am attempting to move into the world of Media Composer, starting with First.

I know… I know… almost nothing I am trying to run it on his supported, but I am wondering if there may be back door ways to get this to work that some of you may know about.

It mostly installs fine, with the exception of about five plug-ins, and it begins to open fine, but after seemingly all is loaded, and it appears that the main editing screen is about to complete, the whole program just shuts right down,  without any error notices. 

So, my first step was to upgrade my memory, which was cheap, and I bought used memory modules of the same kind, so I am up to 12 GB. It still crashes upon opening.

The next step would be to consider updating the Windows 7 Home to Professional, but any installers I have found for that seem to expect a clean install, which means wiping my entire computer and starting from scratch, which would be a big old pain in the rear, considering all of the software I have loaded on this thing. Is there such a beast as a basic updater, rather than a completereinstall of, maybe windows 10?

I see on eBay there are many people selling licenses for Windows 10 for dirt cheap, which I presume will mean a complete reinstall? I have also heard a lot of people say stay away from Windows 10.

So, any thoughts about all this would certainly be appreciated.

It will also not be helpful to tell me that I shouldn't expect a new piece of software to run on an older computer. Not all of us can afford to be upgrading our computers on a regular basis, but I would hate to think that that would prevent someone from using a piece of software.   Something tells me I am likely hallucinating, though… :-)

Thoughts or suggestions?

πŸ™‚πŸ™ƒπŸŽΆπŸŽΉ

• Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:35 PM In reply to

Re: Newbie plea for help... and forgiveness!

Personally I'd get a new hard drive and install a fresh supported OS. Update windows as required then install First and see if it works then.

A fresh install is no bad thing and all those applications on your old drive may be part of the problem.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 3:01 AM In reply to

• Mr. Kelly
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Thanks for the input. I much appreciate it!

That is just it… If money were not an issue, I would probably do a bunch of these things, but it is.

The hard drive is not that old, and I just reformatted the disk at the beginning of the summer, and replaced all of the software on it that was relevant. I run the machine fairly lean,  so it's not polluted with junk. Just what I need.   Wouldn't be the end of the world to only reformat that particular drive, considering most of my personal stuff is on an additional drive, I believe. 

Since I haven't heard any workarounds, I may have no choice but to reformat the drive.

Would folks opt for an older copy of Windows 7 pro, or go for windows 10? What's the general consensus with that? 

Also, there are a bunch of folks selling cheap copies of windows on eBay. Any pros and cons for that?

In a much better world, I would try to do this the right way. I'm just not able to do that right now.

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 7:19 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,411
    • Points 63,410

Hi Mr. Kelly and welcome to the forums. You do not mention the video card, which could be the troublemaker. Win 10 is fine, except for the embedded commercials, that can be disabled anyway. I bought myself several cheap licenses over ebay, once You have a valid serial number You can download all sorts of installers from Microsoft, including the updater, that will not touch the personal stuff on Your disk; don't know if this will fix things up for You, but it's an affordable route to try. Nonetheless it would be recommended a clean install, but I lazily upgraded a couple of systems and they both work fine, FWIW.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:39 PM In reply to

• Mr. Kelly
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Thank you for your thoughts and input.

I have been considering the video card as a possible culprit.  My current card is definitely under powered and below spec. It is a Sapphire HD 512 MB DDR3 card.

I have been checking out eBay for used cards, and I could probably swing an upgrade to about a 2 GB card. However, many of the current models are DDR five. I'm presuming this would not be compatible? 

I have also been considering that I only have 12 GB of DDR3 memory, not 16 as avid has as its minimum.   My gigabyte motherboard says it supports up to 2200 MHz speed, but most of the DDR3 memory modules that I see on eBay are speeds that don't exactly match the specification of the board.    They are within the range of the board, but the speeds are different numbers, such as.... the board suggests 2200/1333/1066/800, and most of the newer modules are, say 1600,  which is within the range, but not exactly spec for the board. Do you think  that if the number falls within the frequency range, it would still work?  This is pretty far outside of my knowledge base… :-)

So… I have three options for upgrade… The video card, more memory, and the OS.   If you had to prioritize the order of which to start with, which one would you go with first? My gut is telling me the video card… Which would certainly help with ProTools, as well.

Thanks again for your thoughtful help!

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:12 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 366
    • Points 3,995

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:29 PM In reply to

• Mr. Kelly
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Thanks GT,

I had looked at that a while ago, but forgot there was a separate page for MC first, so I think I was getting my 16 GB requirement from the regular MC page… I'm glad you pointed that out.

For now, I think I can cross memory off the list.

I really want to get this software up and running. My needs won't be deep. I'll be doing simple editing, may be a few more complex things, but nothing hugely challenging. I have tried several other entry- level editing software, like Corel Videostudio, and Cyber Link Power Director, which both may be good for doing simple non-precision consumer home projects, but they didn't cut it for my needs. They are clunky, slow and imprecise. I need more flexibility than they can offer, which is why I want to learn MC.   I have been using ProTools for almost 20 years, and love the workflow and precision. I'd like the same in my video editing software.   That's my drift… :-)

Another thought about Windows 10.

I have a bunch of older software that I will need to run on Windows 10 that run just fine on Windows 7. What have your experiences been with older software running on windows 10?

πŸ™‚πŸ™ƒπŸŒžπŸŽΆ

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:36 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 366
    • Points 3,995

Hi,   I run MC on Windows 7, so I don't have any experience on Win 10.
    MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 1 2018 3:00 PM In reply to

• Mr. Kelly
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Do you run on Windows 7 Pro?

I currently only have Home.

😫😫

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 6:54 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,411
    • Points 63,410

If You shop for the video card go for a nVidia, don't know if First likes Quadro cards like the biggest brother, but some tinkering with the driver allows for GeForce cards ad well. As for the OS, it's not a matter of Win 7 or 10, it's the home flavour that could be a problem. Regarding RAM, the more, the better, since You don't find the the right speed make sure You buy from a seller with a good return policy, chances are that a faster RAM will run at a lower speed when fitted on "uncompatible" motherboard, but I'd make sure to be able to return the modules and get the money back if the need be.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 7:24 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 366
    • Points 3,995

Yes, Windows 7 Pro as set out in my specs at the bottom of my post.

It is a good idea to fill in your specs as this can aid people giving you suggestions to help.

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 12:14 PM In reply to

• Mr. Kelly
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

I decided to replace my video card… And found a Gigabyte GTX 1050 i 4GB DDR 5 card used on eBay for 89 bucks.  I Raided the piggy bank to get it done.

If that doesn't make the thing work, I will buy a cheap Windows 7 upgrade key on eBay and go that route. 

I will be crossing my fingers! 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller