Latest post Mon, Oct 22 2018 9:01 AM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 21 2018 7:17 PM

Changing Attic setting deletes all items in attic?

Hello everyone. I'm working on a job right now that is pretty complex. We keep our files on a nexus. The other day our apprentice, who had recently switched to a new computer, got a notice about the attic filling up. I had him go in and change the number of files in the attic from 1000 to 2000 (with a max of 100 for a single bin) to match myself and the second AE.

A few days later I went into the attic for something to find that everything up until a few days ago was gone from the attic.

I have not yet had a chance to look at everything in depth, but we do have a backup of our project drive from 9/26 which I could always use the attic from to restore everything except for the first few weeks from October.

What I find most odd is that this attic on the backup is 32GB, yet only 20something GB remain on our main project drive. if I wanted to drag it all over, it wouldn't even fit. How can this be? Here are my questions

1) When one person changes their attic settings, will the entire attic always start over from scratch?

2) Is it possible that while the attic files have disappeared from our Nexus, they are still taking up space? This is the only way I can reconcile in my brain that 32GB worth of attic have been deleted, and yet we only have 20GB of remaining space.

thank you for any help. I do not know off the top of my head the exact version of Avid that we are using. I think it may be 8.8 or somewhere around there. I could check when I am back in the office if it will help.

THIS IS SUPER OUT OF DATE. WILL UPDATE IF I EVER REMEMBER System: AMC 8 (probably most recent version, subscriber) - Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.5 GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 22 2018 9:01 AM In reply to

Re: Changing Attic setting deletes all items in attic?

First off I never reccommend using the attic as any sort of backup beyond an immediate recovery for a corrupt bin.

The attic for every bin it saves is one save out of date. Its not a backup.

I teach all users to do end of session bin/project backups to a dedicated space dated for that session. Thats the best backup choice.

I only suggest 5 copies of any bin in the attic. Who can remember what the status of a bin was a 100 saves back.

I've never heard of changing the saved settings re attic deleting it all but yes its possible they still live on the drive somewhere waiting clearing out.

I delete the attic for every project once its done. It has no value of the job.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller