Latest post Sat, Oct 20 2018 5:32 PM by Terry Snyder. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 4 2018 3:57 PM

AMA Plug-in Error

I am trying to open a sequence I created a few years ago and keep getting this error whenever I try to play it:

"Exception: Failed to get sample position from the AMA plug-in"

When I originally created the sequence, I consolidated the shots to DNxHD and deleted the AMA version of the clips.  I can Match Frame to the shots and they are there--I can play them and cut them in to a new sequence.  I have checked every bin in the project and there no AMA linked clips.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 4:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: AMA Plug-in Error

Hi Terry

I 'd check that the original files on the disk are Ok and NOT corrupt.

Play using a third party player such as VLC.

If the media file itself is corrupt you'll need to restore it from a backup. If it checks out, try copying the file to a new drive, hiding the original from Avid and re-linking it. Note that sometimes links separate media files in to a single file (XDCAM for example will string multiple 2G files together) that can also cause this.

If that isnt it then I suggest you contact support and have a tech check your computer and MC out.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 4:38 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

The weird thing is the clips play fine in the bin and I can cut them into a new sequence.   When I click the monitor on the top track  (a video mixdown) I can play the sequence, but selecting the monitor for any other video tracks (even tracks not containing clips such as titles, etc.) gives the error and the sequence won't play.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 4:43 PM In reply to

I checked all the bins in this project and don't have any AMA linked clips.  Is there a way to force a "break" to any AMA link that is hiding somewhere and interfering with the playback?

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 9:14 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,401
    • Points 15,430

Hello,
    I would try to view the colors of the clip in the timeline and tick the AMA.
    Next, I would try to cut the sequence into a new sequence (not duplication, create a new sequence and then cut off the original sequence).

V.

AVID MC2018.9 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 390.77, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 4 2018 9:21 PM In reply to

Vilem:

Not sure what you mean?   Open up color correction?

Vilem:
    Next, I would try to cut the sequence into a new sequence (not duplication, create a new sequence and then cut off the original sequence).

I did that and I still get the error.

• Fri, Oct 5 2018 6:19 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,401
    • Points 15,430

Terry Snyder:

Vilem:

Not sure what you mean?   Open up color correction?

Quick menu at the bottom left of the timeline, "Clip color", see the attached picture.

I would also try to consolidate the sequence with the "Consolidate only linked media"

V.

AVID MC2018.9 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 390.77, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 20 2018 5:32 PM In reply to

Vilem:

Thanks.  I was able to find the clips that were AMA linked to footage no longer available.  After deleting these from the timeline, I was able to play the sequence.

On future versions of MC, it would be great if MC would still play the sequence but simply display a black screen with the words "AMA clip off line" (or something to that effect) the same way it gives a "Media Offline" message but still keeps playing.   As it stands now, if there is a single broken AMA link in a sequence, MC won't play the sequence at all and displays the "Failed to get sample position from the AMA plugin" error.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller