Latest post Fri, Nov 8 2019 2:35 PM by BenoitM. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 5 2019 3:16 PM In reply to

Re: Two Avid Generic Plug-Ins competing to link A7s footage

Marianna,

Thanks.  I have a case number already but no reply as of yet.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Intel i9 9900K desktop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM BlackMagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor Nvidia RTX2080 display card [view my complete system specs]

Jason Spencer, Director/DP/Editor digitallunchbox.com

• Wed, Jun 5 2019 3:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jason

They will reply to the one I created - Alek has it now.   03714690

I also added myself to the case to follow and make sure they deep drill on this one.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 5 2019 4:48 PM In reply to

Marianna,

As usual, you are awesome.  Thank you.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Intel i9 9900K desktop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM BlackMagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor Nvidia RTX2080 display card [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jun 5 2019 4:52 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Diego, CA
    • Posts 225
    • Points 2,730

Marianna:

Dave

Is this ahppening with you as well?????

Marianna

With footage that was linked/transcoded back last fall in 2018.7,8,9 - XAVC import has come a long way. The A7s, even though kind of a consumer camera, is what my client likes to use as a B-Camera so I get to deal with a lot of it.

With 2018.12.3, the clips link using the Avid Generic Plug-In, and all clips show DF timecode unique to each. One odd characteristic I see but that hasn't caused any problem yet is that the last frame of a previous clip and the first frame of a next clip share the same timecode. This is Source Browser today:

Avid Generic Plug-In TC frame repeat

Compare that to footage brought in back in September sometimes with no TC, and 00:00:00:00 NDF TC (NDF is our default) - but most interesting is the duration change from then to now. Not just a frame or two, although I have seen that before as well. Since I rarely have to deal with NDF, if I took the dropped frames into consideration would the difference in calculated duration below check out?

Avid Generic Plug-In Then & Now

I haven't done any testing with finished output or generic MP4s like wjasonspencer, all my issues have come from A7s or GoPro FTG.

Mid 2014 Retina MBP 2.5 i7 w16 GB RAM. Running MC Symphony 2018 with PhraseFind! High Sierra 10.13.6. OWC Thunderbolt dock, 2xSSD Akitio Thunderbolt enclosure... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2019 11:40 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,840

This is where premiere kills avid. Relinking in avid sucks

MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.7ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2019 1:20 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 662
    • Points 7,930

Have you tried right clicking on the source file and selecting link with?

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 96GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 1TB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid MC-2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2019 9:03 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,686
    • Points 47,305
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

This is something I reported quite some time ago. Originally, you couldn't link to XAVC-S media. You have to rewrap the media into a QT .MOV file and then use the QuickTime plug-in to ingest it. The rewrap isn't a transcode, and simply replaces the XAVC-S container with a MOV container.

Then Avid developed the generic plug-in, which could read XAVC-S native. However, there's an off-by-one frame difference between what the generic plug-in would ingest vs. the QuickTime plug-in. Since the the ingest of the same media isn't the same length, you can't relink from QT to XAVC-S.

I've not checked in quite some time, but if they repaired the generic plug-in, then there could be an off-by-one error with media ingested with the older plug-in, preventing a relink. I'll have to find some older XAVC-S media still on the system, and re-ingest it with the current version of MC and see if the lengths differ.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jun 7 2019 5:29 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,686
    • Points 47,305
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

OK, I checked, and the timecode and number of frames are the same. So that's not the problem. However, I too am having problems relinking back to the original media.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jun 10 2019 2:03 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

I'm getting the same issue. I was working on a project on my MacBook Pro. I then opened it on my MacPro using the same external media drive. All the media came up as offline. I created a new bin and linked to each media source folder one at a time. All the media in that new bin linked fine and most of the clips from the rest of the project also linked to that media. But not all. I am having to manually replace the others in my sequence which is very time-consuming.

I then noticed an issue with plug-ins - the clips that haven't linked are all listed as using the 'Avid Generic 2.6' plug-in whereas all the ones that linked successfully have the 'Avid Generic' plug-in listed. Those versions of the clips are one frame longer than the 'Avid Generic 2.6' plug-in versions of the same clip. They have the same start timecode.

I am using MC 2018.12.3 and I'm pretty sure the same MC release on my laptop.

How do I get round this issue? Some of my clips are over an hour long and I have many uses of them in my timeline and it's very laborious editing them in one by one. I have tried different ways of re-linking to the online linked clips, including to 'selected items in all open bins' but to no avail. Very frustrating.

The footage came from a Panasonic GH5 and a GoPro. Other footage from those cameras relinked fine.

Thanks Smile

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 10 2019 8:36 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 6 2016
    • Posts 36
    • Points 530

Same problem here, Mac Pro 8 core, High Sierra, went from 2018.9 to 2018.12.5 in hopes of a fix, but no dice.

Clips are from A7sii

Try to bring back clips, some link with Avid Generic and have TC, some with Avid Generic 2.6 and have none, duration differs by 1 frame.

Sequences are broken, random clips offline, and the only thing I can do is match and recut manually. Not great!

If the "Link Using..." option allowed to specify *which* Generic it used, perhaps that would be a workaround?

Chyld K.

MC 2018.3 on 8-Core trashcan Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.11.6, G-RAID Studio XL TB2 RAID MC 2018.3 on tbMPB15, 16GB, 10.12.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 11 2019 8:18 AM In reply to

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

After lots of wasting time - in the finish line of our postpro - i remember the following (please correct me)

1. there is a different between MCA12.3 and 12.5 - the earlier version shows exact the plugins as all the years - from 12.5 on Avid changed the appearence of the "what plugin" used - the issues: "not recognizing an old plugin used" can be repaired sometimes with the input browser, reload files, change the plugin, etc (but not if a 0.00.00.00 TC appeares)

2. Avid trys to source out the plugin mess to Nablet - we bought it - it had some other problems, after service it works fine - but cannot solve the old problem of 0.00.00.00 TCs files

3. As far as the 0.00.00.00 TCs appears(so you forgot to check after ingest - or forgot to give good old tapenames to each SD card) there is no other way - then - go back to the original RAW file - take the first TC of the file and insert it into your recovered files start TC by hand

dont hammer the Avid service - as we did - they dont answer- there is no solution to offer - we should have taken the handjob as soon as we recognized the problem

best 8k

• Tue, Jun 11 2019 10:11 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,690

I've also noticed that the timecode of the video and audio of the same clip (in sync) is one frame out when viewing in my Sequence timecode display. This relates to the clips that wouldn't re-link.

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 12 2019 6:51 PM In reply to

FYI - I contacted customer care related to my issues with .mp4's relinking from past projects and today they replied that they are logging this bug under code MCCET-3054. 

I rarely use XAVC-S media so I can't comment about footage coming from a7 cams.  My issues were garden variety mp4 files that varied 1 frame in duration depending on the plugin used.  It's good to see Avid finally logging this as a bug.  Hoping for a quick resolution to this.

• Wed, Jun 12 2019 7:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,794
    • Points 225,540
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ping me in a week or so and I can give you an update on the bug.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 3:23 AM In reply to

I'm having the same issue, too (MC 2018-10).   

You know what's even weirder - If you REVEAL FILE on any of the offline clips with "Relink to file" greyed out, the Avid will reveal them in the finder!  Yes, the Avid knows where the clips are but just can't bring it self to link them...

Oh, and their frame rates have changed - the originals AMAs were 30fps, and the new from the exact same media are 640x360p/30.0061, 1280x720p/30.0246, 1280x720p/30.0245 (It's some archive material for a doco - hence the smaller frame sizes).

This stops me being able to give them the same tape name to make the relink work, because I need to generate a project for each frame rate (which is impossible) because one can only change Tape names in projects of the same frame rate as the media, of course (not sure why that matters - if I need to modify or repair the tape name, it shouldn't matter the FPS or whether "FILM" is switched on or not - but that's another story)

Any progress on this? resolved in the 2019 release?

Thanks,

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller