Latest post Tue, Sep 18 2018 10:59 PM by Martin Fox. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 17 2018 8:29 PM

Timecode mismatches when importing AAF into DaVinci Resolve

We are using DaVinci Resolve to finish a project that was edited in Avid.  It has been in the works for 10 years, originally in Final Cut Pro, and I inherited it from another editor.  The source files are a mix of resolutions, frame rates, and codecs, all in MXF wrappers that were imported in their native resolutions and frame rates.  

I exported an AAF with links to the media.  I then imported that as a timeline in DaVinci Resolve, linking to the source camera files.  Not surprisingly, Resolve had trouble locating the media, which originally was scattered over more than a dozen drives.  (The contents of those drives have since been copied to two G-RAID 16 TB drives.)  

DVCPro clips and RED camera clips show up perfectly on the Resolve timeline because they have accurate timecodes, but about one-quarter of the clips are offline in Resolve.  Those clips are mostly documentary footage, such as Getty Images files.  Resolve reported lots of timecode mismatches.

I should mention that I changed the project settings in Resolve to take the reel name from the file name and the timecode from the frame count, so the timecode mismatches leave me baffled.

Scrubbing through the timeline in Resolve, I noticed lots of offline clips for media that I know is there.  I imported a few of them into the Media Pool.  They linked up with the clips on the timeline, but the in-and-out points were off.  Apparently the timecodes of our stock footage and documentary clips don’t match the timecodes that Resolve is looking for.

None of the clips are offline in Avid.  And yet, when I tried importing the AAF without links to the source camera files, Resolve still could not locate 170 clips (out of nearly 3,500).  Is there a way to fix the timecode mismatch?  Perhaps by decomposing the sequence in Avid?

-- 
    Michael 

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony | OS X 10.13.6 | iMac 2017 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 | TerraMaster 16TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 17 2018 8:45 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,081
    • Points 12,305

Re: Timecode mismatches when importing AAF into DaVinci Resolve

You might want to check the frame rate as interpreted/modified in Avid compared to Resolve - I’ve had it where a clip matched perfectly when the fram rate is interpreted inResolve to match the rate Avid has it as.

• Tue, Sep 18 2018 11:14 AM In reply to

I'd pick a few sample clips that are showing as offline and look at the timecode info for them in Avid and their original source files compared with what Resolve is ecpecting. Finding where that error occured will be the clue.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Sep 18 2018 2:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,705
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Finding where that error occured will be the clue as Pat indicated as well as the actual error itself.  

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 18 2018 3:34 PM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestion.  For footage that is not camera original, it seems that Avid assigns a start timecode of 01:00:00:00 to the clip.  However, a documentary source file will often have a different timecode.  A Getty Images file may have an embedded start timecode of 05:18:16:01, for example, but Avid sees it as 01:00:00:00.  If the mismatch is too great, Resolve will be unable to find the media.  At least, that's what I think is happening.

As a workaround, I'm going to import all the source footage I can find into the Media Pool first, and then try importing the AAF.  Whenever I encounter a clip that is offline in the Resolve timeline, I'll right-click on it and choose “Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip” from the contextual menu.  Hopefully, Resolve will be able to find the correct in points.  Conforming each missing clip individually will take time, but I think it can be done.

-- 

Michael

Media Composer 2018.12 w/Symphony | OS X 10.13.6 | iMac 2017 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 | TerraMaster 16TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2018 3:58 PM In reply to

This is a key ingest step. AMA link (or import) and check timecodes are correct.

If they aren't you can modify the Master clip timecode to match the source (you get warnings about it)

So one solution is to go back and modify the effected clips to have the correct source timecode. that will then ripple into the sequence and a fresh AAF should come right.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Sep 18 2018 10:59 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,290

Resolve has the facility to import and display the offline edit for easy reference. I think the command is “import reference offline”.  It allows you to switch to a split view of your resolve timeline and the offline edit.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller