Latest post Wed, Sep 5 2018 7:20 PM by DStone. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 4 2018 2:35 PM

How can I import or AMA link to a 4K HEVC MP4 file?

I posted about this yestrday - but can find no record of my post, nor have I received any replies. I was informed that the MODERATOR would decide if my post would be posted.. So I know I posted:)

I'm frustated that I can't do something simple that even VLC can do - for free. And hoping I can! 

I need to import - or better still AMA link to a 4K HEVC MP4 file, so I can trim it/edit it down. I want to then post it to Vimeo to use on a website. 

VLC recognises my source file and can transcode it. But Avid doesn't recognise is - with my current settings or plug ins. There doesn't seem to be a codec for MAC that will recognise H265 files - but they've been around for a few years?! And if I transcode to H264, besides losing quality (visibly on the replay with VLC) when I import to AVID - it currently takes the file - but the result is a 3GB video file with just 3 mins of green splodge instead of epic wildlife footage. 

I'm not sure also if I should use an HD project or anything higher, for bext results. I need the final file not to be too large - so the website loads quickly enough. I have tried both of course. 

I'm a couple of days still trying to figure this out now - can anyone help? And anyone know what happened to my original post in the Media Compser Mac forum? Or a response from a moderator? 

A bit frustrated now.. Isn't Ultimate ultimate enough to cope with a simple H265 file? Unfortunatey I don't have the raw camera foootage so I can't use a codec to import that way. If anyone can help:)

Surely 2018 MCU can import a 1 year old 4K UHD HEVC file? 

Resolution: 3840 x 2160
    File size: 449 MB
    Duration: 00:03:18
    Format: MP4
    Codec: HEVC
    Frame rate: 60 fps

in hope an with thanks 

Line 

MCU 2018.5.0  on Mac Book Pro. Sierra 10.12.6 - 16MB Ram.

I can upgrade to the latest MCU if that will help!

• Tue, Sep 4 2018 9:12 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,422
    • Points 44,185
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: How can I import or AMA link to a 4K HEVC MP4 file?

MC doesn't yet support HEVC natively. You have to transcode the media to be able to use it.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Sep 5 2018 6:55 PM In reply to

Hi Dave - yes I gathered that. It's just quite ridicuous to have to transcode - making a much larger file and losing quality - just so I can import or link. A professional editing system should be able to handle amoder codec like HEVC - right? 

Do you know a may to transcoding a UHD 4k HEVC MP4 file without a loss of quality?  VLC made a bad job of it.. FFmpeg would probably manage but I've forgotten all my comand line tricks.. any recommendations appreciated. 

In the end I did it without AVID - using AVIDEMUX and edited the file wrapper without altering the media coding.. 

Thanks for the reply

Line

• Wed, Sep 5 2018 7:20 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,422
    • Points 44,185
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

rewrapping is the best solution. It's fast, and does not alter the media.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller