Latest post Wed, Aug 29 2018 9:04 PM by Vadym. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 29 2018 4:14 PM

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 67
    • Points 635

IPWS GetSegmentsFromComposition (version 3.8) - segment file mob ids and asset system attributes not in sync in some situations

Testing with wsv380 -  v3.8.1 and wsv20172

I have recently implemented a workflow that makes use of the GetSegmentsFromComposition method to obtain source asset information for sequences and sub clips checked in to Interplay.

The returned list in the response for this method provides a list of source (clip) asset segments for a composition with associated marks and file mobs that were checked in with the sequence (or sub-clip).  

The method allows for a request for a list of system attributes to be returned for each segments clip asset information.  What I found is that the video format and current video resolution returned are for the latest version of the asset checked into the DB and NOT what the sequence was created and check in with originally.

For example - check in a sequence that is built from XDCAM video clips.  Retrieve the segment information and the file mob for video are for the xdcam media files.   The system attribute for video format shows XDCAM.    Now... Add a new format to the clips - eg. DNxHD and check-in.   When the segments are then retrieved again, the system attributes returned with GetSegmentsFromComposition show DNxHD for the asset format but the file mobs are still XDCAM.  (so of mismatched). 

I am assuming that this is because the attributes are really for the "latest" asset and that no history is maintained so that the view of the clip asset with GetSegmentsFromComposition matches what the sequence was checked in with.  I suspect that if the sequence is rechecked in with DNxHD the new file mobs will be used.   

The reason I ask is that I am adding functionality with AMT3 where the MXF and AAF files are needed to work with source clips and media (original and new video format files will exist).  In this case the file mobs for the asset used for the sequence don't match the current version of the asset if I use GetLatest to work with the XDCAM media files).  I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking something...     This may be just the way it is due to information in the DB.

Please let me know if this is not clear or if more information is needed.   

• Wed, Aug 29 2018 8:11 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2014
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,565
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: IPWS GetSegmentsFromComposition (version 3.8) - segment file mob ids and asset system attributes not in sync in some situations

Hi Rich,

You're describing multirez scenario here. Sequence only references assets so when underlying assets are checked-in with a different current resolution IPWS will return it. IPWS does not support dynamic relink so cannot retrieve a resolution of interest for you, but you still should be able to get all resolutions using the GetFileDetails call.

There is no history associated with masterclips and while sequences have history they do not reference specific resolution of the assets.

Depending on the tool you're using sequence check-in may cause assets check-in with requested resolution in the background or not if the tool does not support dynamic relink.

• Wed, Aug 29 2018 8:49 PM In reply to

• Rich Laws
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 67
    • Points 635

Re: IPWS GetSegmentsFromComposition (version 3.8) - segment file mob ids and asset system attributes not in sync in some situations

Hi Vadym,

Thanks again for a quick reply.  I agree that the GetRelatives does obtain the assets for a sequence (or sub-clip).  There is some memory in the sequence in the sense that the GetCompositionSegments is returning specific file mob ids for the media that the sequence was checked in with originally, even if the asset is updated with a new resolution.

So the asset "bundle" returned with GetCompositionSegments references one format even if the asset itself has a new checked in format.   I can work around this and I think that I understand the database limit for why this is so.

It would be interesting to know if the internal code that builds the segment list for GetCompositionSegments and obtains the file mobs could actually provide the file format for the reference source mob-ids as part of the segment information (future of course).  

I can work around this for what I am doing.  Thanks again for your detailed reply!

Rich

• Wed, Aug 29 2018 9:04 PM In reply to

• Vadym
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2014
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,565
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Rich,

Attempting to explain full logic of the GetLatest operation doesn't make a lot of sense now that IPWS is in maintenance mode and migration to CloudUX is coming.

There is more complicated logic than just database in place that accounts for the master mobs inside of the composition aaf at the time of the check-in. Database gets more updates than just aaf check-ins.

Good to hear that you can work this behavior around in the meantime.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller