Latest post Fri, Aug 24 2018 1:57 PM by bushfilm. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 17 2018 12:51 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,245

batch import or transcode?

I have a couple questions; here goes. I have a sequence made up of clips I imported at DNxHD 45 that I would like to export at a higher resolution, like DNxHD 175. None of the clips are AMA linked, all were imported from various folders on my computer in the normal fashion. What would the best way to up rez these clips be? I don't know whether I should transcode or batch import the clips. Do I need to delete the media first, or can I import without deleting? I will need the low rez media for future edits so I'm guessing I shouldn't delete the media. Also, what about the titles, still photos, other graphics. Will they up rez automatically or do I need to do it manually, and if so, how would I do that? Almost all the clips came from a Panasonic GH3 at 1080p 30p and they look pretty good, so I am hoping for a nice looking export for screening on a projector at a music conference. Would I gain any quality by going to DNxHD 220 or Jpeg 2K or some other format? And finally, I am paying someone to do a sound mix in Pro Tools, any suggestions on how to get the project and media from my computer to his? He lives in another city so it has to be moved to his machine. By the way, you Avid Moderators are doing a great job and I really appreciate all your help. Thanks!

• Fri, Aug 17 2018 1:16 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

Re: batch import or transcode?

bushfilm:

I have a couple questions; here goes. I have a sequence made up of clips I imported at DNxHD 45 that I would like to export at a higher resolution, like DNxHD 175. None of the clips are AMA linked, all were imported from various folders on my computer in the normal fashion. What would the best way to up rez these clips be?

You don't have a choice.  If you have imported, you uprez by batch re-importing.  (Had you AMA linked originally you could just relink to the original media and transcode only the parts needed.)

bushfilm:

Do I need to delete the media first, or can I import without deleting? I will need the low rez media for future edits so I'm guessing I shouldn't delete the media.

You don't need to delete the media, but you should probably hide it by renaming the subfolders it is in and deleting the media database files in those folders.

bushfilm:

Also, what about the titles, still photos, other graphics. Will they up rez automatically or do I need to do it manually, and if so, how would I do that?

Depends.  Batch re-import is your most likely scenario based on what you've said so far.

• Fri, Aug 17 2018 1:31 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,245

Hi, I very much appreciate your answer but it is imcomplete. You said "depends" on the title,etc. question; this doesn't give me much help...depends on what and how do I uprez titles or graphics or does this happen automatically when you batch import the new clips? Also, is DNxHD 175 the best choice for highest quality, or would 220 or Jpeg 2K give me better quality. I know I could experiment with all this and learn for myself, but I am under a very tight deadline, so any shortcuts would be very helpful. Also, you didn't address the question about moving the project's audio to another computer for the Pro Tools mix; I've never done this before so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again!

• Fri, Aug 17 2018 2:35 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

Hi.

What I usually do with graphics is delete the original media but not the master clip, then batch reimport the clip at the higher resolution. 

220 is better than 175, but you'll be hard-pressed to see the difference in most circumstances.

As for the Pro Tools mix,  you will want to create an AAF with the audio media either embedded or in a separate folder and deliver that to the audio house.  You should ask your audio folks what they prefer.  Somone else may be able to give you more specific advice, I haven't done it since the days it was exclusively OMF.  It's not terribly difficult.

• Fri, Aug 17 2018 4:04 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,245

What about Jpeg 2K...any improvement in picture quality?  Thanks again for your help!

• Wed, Aug 22 2018 2:49 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,245

HI,

I tried the batch import we discussed in previous post; here's what happened. I made a copy of the sequence, selected it, hit the batch import button, but MC only found 11 of 39 clips. In the file location tab, I noticed there was a "?" mark at the beginning of the file location. Did I move something inadvertently? If so, how do I fix this 'cause I really need to get this show up-rez'ed...like yesterday. Thanks for the help!

• Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:45 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,491
    • Points 64,420

By clicking and fiddling with the question marked clips You'll be able to redirect MC to the new location(s) of the missing files, that have to be moved since You first imported them.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 23 2018 3:45 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,245

What do you mean by “clicking and fiddling”? Could you be more specific? Thanks.

• Thu, Aug 23 2018 4:05 PM In reply to

Click on the items with a ? and it should open a file location window. navigate to the required file and click ok. Do that for all the ? items.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Aug 23 2018 7:27 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,491
    • Points 64,420

To be more specific: select the relevant clip and click the "Set File Location..." button.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Aug 24 2018 1:57 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,245

Thanks to all, appreciate it very much. Will give this a shot and post results.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller