Latest post Mon, Jul 9 2018 9:16 PM by jef. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 9 2018 5:28 PM

• Lynn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 17 2008
    • Bullock
    • Posts 59
    • Points 740

True P output from Nitris DX

I have been frustrated for quite some time now because when editing 4K media within a 1080P project I get so much aliasing and moire on fine detailed shots with horizontal lines. Also happens with drone media shot 1080P. Yet, the final release on broadcast tv has looked quite acceptable. Last week after some research online I discovered the True P setting in the video output tool. I had been in the PSF output mode. After switching to True P my JVC monitor indicates its in 1080 30p rather than 1080 60i and the video is beautiful!  No aliasing or moire!!  Is there any reason I should not use the True P setting in video output. I never use the output of the Nitris DX for mastering. My releases are all file based.

Thanks for your input on this.

MC 8.3.1 on Mac Pro OS 10.8.5 with Nitrix DX   (yeah, I know its old but it works great!)

Media Composer 8.3.1, Nitris DX . Mac Pro OS 10.8.5 2x2.66ghz Quad Core 12 gb ram, 2 x 5tb Avid VideoRaid ST, Sapphire 6, Boris 8 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 9 2018 6:51 PM In reply to

Re: True P output from Nitris DX

There is not a simple answer to this.

Broadcast standards in the USA are 1080i/59.94 and 720p/59.94.

1080i is obviously interlaced but the overwhelming majority of HDTVs are progressive by nature (LCD or OLED or Plasma).

You should monitor the way it will be broadcast using both a broadcast monitor and a consumer TV.

If the delivery requirements require P, then the timeline output and monitor should be set to P. Match the scan format as much as you can throughout the entire process.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 9 2018 7:06 PM In reply to

• Lynn
    • Not Ranked
    • Bullock
    • Posts 59
    • Points 740

Hmmmm, thanks for the response albeit not a simple answer.  

So I shoot UHD 2160 29.97P and edit in a 1080 29.97P project. If the final product is for the web or projection then it's okay to monitor in P. But if its for broadcast, which I convert to MPEG2 1080i 29.97 per the local media specs in Sorenson Squeeze, it would be best to monitor in PSF. That correct?

The aliasing or moire is no where near as annoying in the final 1080i MPEG2 file when I see it on air. Maybe not as clean as it looks monitoring True P, but much better than when monitoring PSF. 

Thanks for your assistance.

Media Composer 8.3.1, Nitris DX . Mac Pro OS 10.8.5 2x2.66ghz Quad Core 12 gb ram, 2 x 5tb Avid VideoRaid ST, Sapphire 6, Boris 8 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 9 2018 7:16 PM In reply to

Depends on how your monitor reacts to what you feed it. My old Panasonic plasma would make no distinction, whether I sent it P or PsF. My new OLED definitely treats PsF signals as interlaced, even if it shouldn't. So I switched to P.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 9 2018 7:32 PM In reply to

• Lynn
    • Not Ranked
    • Bullock
    • Posts 59
    • Points 740

My JVC LED monitor definitely treats PsF as interlaced. I assume its the conversion of progressive to interlaced in the DX that results in the moire and aliasing in 4k content. What I DON'T want to do is soften scenes with a filter to minimize the problem or reject scenes altogether based on the interlaced playback on the monitor. I also don't want to view the footage in crystal clear clarity during the edit only to see moire and aliasing in the playback on broadcast television. But as I mentioned the moire and aliasing is much less of an issue when viewed on air than it is in post on my monitor using PsF.

Thanks for your input.

• Mon, Jul 9 2018 9:16 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

What is your file deliverable?  P or I?  You should be editing in a sequence set to that format.

If it is I, and you put P in it, Avid will put a Motion adapter on the P clips.  In my experience, it should not look worse that viewing the footage in a P sequence.

Try that and see how it works.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller