Latest post Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:58 PM by camoscato. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 7:31 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 7,175

Import options

Hi all,

i have set up a 1080p30p project and upon trying to import the footage, I can only select Dnx 145 as the lowest option setting. How can I choose a lower setting, since I am going to have to up-rez ;ater, I might as well keep the storage space down?

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

• Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:00 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,397
    • Points 63,300

Re: Import options

Hi there, what if You link and transcode instead importing?

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:04 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 7,175

Ooops...never mind. I discovered that you can select other import settings when using "Batch Import" and, for some unknown reason, once I selected Dnx 45, I was also able to select it in the plain "import" setting.

Thanks, hope this helped someone.

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:20 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 7,175

I am just old-fashioned I guess; I like the media on a physical drive, not just linked, because I've seen what happens when a very sophiscated system goes south. It can get ugly. So I like to know that there is real media, not just a link which might get attacked by Russian bots or something,

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:58 PM In reply to

bushfilm:
    I like the media on a physical drive

If you link and then immediately transcode to whatever resolution you want, you'll have media on a physical drive. The advantage is transcoding goes faster because it uses more processor power - it was introduced more recently, and takes advantage of newer technology.

Rather than thinking of it as linking vs importing, think of it as linking & transcoding vs importing - two ways to get to the same result.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller