Latest post Sat, Jul 7 2018 12:17 AM by Marty. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 27 2018 6:52 PM

• kartre
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 27 2018
    • Mexico City
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Subclip with stereo mix that can match frame to all audio tracks

Hello everyone. So in a month I'll start working on this feature where the on-set sound delivered will be composed of approximately 7-10 tracks. In these tracks the first 2 will be the stereo mix and then the next tracks will be the booms and lavaliers.

My editor wants to only edit with the stereo mix provided. Though he still wants the possibility to double match frame and be linked back to the 7-10 tracks in case he wants to bring the volume up for a lavalier or something.

I will be receiving the footage mxfs from the DIT without any sound. And I will import the wave files to Avid. I am using the 2018.5 ultimate version.

I searched the forums and found someone with a similar issue. The answer was to autosync the footage to the sound, creating a subclip with 7-10 audio tracks. Then create a sequence with that subclip using only the first two audio tracks, and then autosync that sequence.

It works great, it creates a synced subclip with just the stereo mix, but when I double match frame I get back to the main clip which has no sound. 

Does anyone have any idea how to double match frame to the autosynced clip with the 7-10 audio tracks? If not, is there a way to add the sound to the main clip? Or is there any method that will allow my editor to edit with the stereo mix but be able to find all the tracks by match frame?

Avid 2018.5 Ultimate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 28 2018 5:54 PM In reply to

Re: Subclip with stereo mix that can match frame to all audio tracks

Matchframe gets you to the synced clip in the Source Monitor. Then de-select the V-track on the Source Monitor and Matchframe again. That should take you to the multichannel audio-only masterclip (provided you bring them in as such and not channel-by-channel).

There’s only one “layer” of syncing, so you can’t AutoSync with 7-10 channels, subclip with just two channels, and matchframe from the 2-ch synced clip to a 7-10-channel synced clip.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 28 2018 6:01 PM In reply to

• kartre
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 27 2018
    • Mexico City
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Thank you very much. I figured that was going to be our only solution. I guess we just have to be careful about anything moving out of sync. 

Avid 2018.5 Ultimate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 6 2018 9:47 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 909
    • Points 10,580

Job ter Burg:
    There’s only one “layer” of syncing, so you can’t AutoSync with 7-10 channels, subclip with just two channels, and matchframe from the 2-ch synced clip to a 7-10-channel synced clip.

It's possible, maybe just because of a bug, I don't know, but I edited a TV show with that workflow.

I'm editing with a subclip that contains only the mix track and if I need a specific ISO I'm using matchframe to the subclip and again matchframe on the audio tracks and that brings me to a subclip with all tracks.

It only works when you cut the subclip with all subclips in a new sequence > then delete all the Iso tracks and change the panning of the remaining audio clips > then create a subclip with "Auto Sync". If you don't change the panning, the matchframe will bring you to the master clip but if you change the panning somehow Avid recognize it as a new clip.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 9:51 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 909
    • Points 10,580

You could also create subclips with all tracks (usually A1=Boom Mix, A2=Lav Mix, the rest are the ISO tracks), and mute or deactivate the Iso tracks of the subclips.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 11:56 PM In reply to

Marty:
    I'm editing with a subclip that contains only the mix track and if I need a specific ISO I'm using matchframe to the subclip and again matchframe on the audio tracks and that brings me to a subclip with all tracks.

Wow, just tried it, that works. Quite a bit of work, but a possible solution. Thanks for sharing!

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 7 2018 12:17 AM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 909
    • Points 10,580

Yes, it's a bit more work for the assistant. 

I like that you always have the possibility to match frame to the corresponding picture this way. 

It's a lot of match frame clicking when you are working with Group clips and I'm always a bit nervous that this workflow is based on a bug and it might get "fixed" with a newer version but I wrote Jeffrey Lomicka about it so maybe it will stay this way, it's been there for a while, now.

I hope that Avid will come with a better solution one day where we can edit with all tracks but only see and listen the audiomix and unfold the Iso tracks when needed (like FCPx or Resolve).

www.film-editing.de

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller