Latest post Mon, Jun 11 2018 6:23 PM by TrevorA. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 11 2018 1:49 PM

• wilky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 11 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 30

thinking of jumping to avid from adobe

hi! i'm an old avid editor, was on avid from 2001 to 2012. I made the switch to adobe premiere and am just fed up with all of the updates and the program never working the way we demand it work.

i'm looking for an ew option and of course avid is top on my list.

few questions i hope somone can answer for me.

1-does avid let you edit RED RAW? not just use red files, but have the raw tool ability to change the raw settings in a clip?

2- does avid have multicam editing across multiple file formats and codecs in the same multicam sequence or timeline?

3 - is the color in avid powerful? can you do power grades with masks etc.?

4 - do you have to convert files? is AMA better than it was in 2012? i remember it not working that great, and having to convert files to mxf on import.

5 - if you have a 8k shot file, and edit on a 1080 timeline, can you pan and scan that file without an effect? meaning if you put a 8 k file on a 1080 timeline at 100% scale will it be zoomed in? i remember this being an issue and if you put a larger file on the timeline it would scale the shot down to fit the size of the timeline.

thanks for any help to these answers!!!

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 5:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,489
    • Points 208,885
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: thinking of jumping to avid from adobe

I attached a list of what you have been missing since you stopped using MC.

1-does avid let you edit RED RAW? not just use red files, but have the raw tool ability to change the raw settings in a clip?

Answer:  Yes and there is a new Plug In released last week that improves the performance.  You get full native support of RED (.R3D) files with this RED plug-in. In addition to preparing files through ROCKETCINE, or REDCINE, you can shoot on any RED camera and then access footage right from the RED-FLASH card or RED-DRIVE with access to the full metadata and color management data. You can chose to preserve RGB color space or downconvert to YUV color. Images are scaled to HD image size.    The new plug in has the following changes:   

Upgrade to RED SDK 7.0.7
    Improved load times for R3D clips recorded on newer sensors and camera firmware.
    Improved performance in MC installed on 10.13.2 MAC OS and later.

2- does avid have multicam editing across multiple file formats and codecs in the same multicam sequence or timeline?

Answer:  Yes.  Some of the things you can do with Multicam include:   Group Clips, MultiGroup, 4-Way Split Display,9-Way Split Display, MultiCam Editing mode, MultiCam Accelerator keys, Swap Banks, Previous/Next in Group, Group by Audio Waveforms etc....

Answer:  The MC has an added option called Symphony which runs on top of the MC license.

http://www.avid.com/products/media-composer-symphony-option

4 - do you have to convert files? is AMA better than it was in 2012? i remember it not working that great, and having to convert files to mxf on import.

Answer:  Yes it is better but still you need to install a MXF AMA Plugin that allows you  to AMA link to op1a .mxfs.   There are some workflows available for each platform such as Mac OS. 

1. Place the MXF files into a new folder within the AvidMediaFiles/MXF folder (for instance: /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/2).
    2. Launch media Composer and open a project.
    3. Open the newly created folder in the Finder. Inside this folder, you will see a couple of new files created by Media Composer, in addition to the MXF files you manually added.
    4. Drag the file called msmMMOB.mdb from the Finder into the project bin.
    5. This should populate the bin with any MXF files contained in the folder. It may take time to convert the files to the project format.

5 - if you have a 8k shot file, and edit on a 1080 timeline, can you pan and scan that file without an effect? meaning if you put a 8 k file on a 1080 timeline at 100% scale will it be zoomed in? i remember this being an issue and if you put a larger file on the timeline it would scale the shot down to fit the size of the timeline.

Going to try this one and get back to you.....   stand by

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 5:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,489
    • Points 208,885
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I attached a list of what you have been missing since you stopped using MC.

Answer:  Yes and there is a new Plug In released last week that improves the performance.  You get full native support of RED (.R3D) files with this RED plug-in. In addition to preparing files through ROCKETCINE, or REDCINE, you can shoot on any RED camera and then access footage right from the RED-FLASH card or RED-DRIVE with access to the full metadata and color management data. You can chose to preserve RGB color space or downconvert to YUV color. Images are scaled to HD image size.    The new plug in has the following changes:   

Upgrade to RED SDK 7.0.7
    Improved load times for R3D clips recorded on newer sensors and camera firmware.
    Improved performance in MC installed on 10.13.2 MAC OS and later.

Answer:  Yes.  Some of the things you can do with Multicam include:   Group Clips, MultiGroup, 4-Way Split Display,9-Way Split Display, MultiCam Editing mode, MultiCam Accelerator keys, Swap Banks, Previous/Next in Group, Group by Audio Waveforms etc....

Answer:  The MC has an added option called Symphony which runs on top of the MC license.

http://www.avid.com/products/media-composer-symphony-option

Answer:  Yes it is better but still you need to install a MXF AMA Plugin that allows you  to AMA link to op1a .mxfs.   There are some workflows available for each platform such as Mac OS. 

Place the MXF files into a new folder within the AvidMediaFiles/MXF folder (for instance: /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/2).
    Launch media Composer and open a project.
    Open the newly created folder in the Finder. Inside this folder, you will see a couple of new files created by Media Composer, in addition to the MXF files you manually added.
    Drag the file called msmMMOB.mdb from the Finder into the project bin.
    This should populate the bin with any MXF files contained in the folder. It may take time to convert the files to the project format.

Answer:   Going to try this one and get back to you.....   stand by or if anyone else in the forum has tried this - chime in.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 11 2018 6:23 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,045
    • Points 11,900

wilky:

No but Baselight plug-in is superb. 

is AMA better than it was in 2012? i remember it not working that great, and having to convert files to mxf on import.

Yes AMA is much improved and very usable now 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller