Latest post Tue, Nov 6 2018 7:38 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 13 2018 6:47 PM

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 256
    • Points 3,420

MC and wide gamut - oversaturated display colours on MBPro 2017 (P3 or wide gamut display)

Hello.

The MC display/interface colors - on my MacBook Pro 15 late 2017 OSX 10.13.3 - are oversaturated - when displayed on integrated LCD Panel, and i can not reduce this colors even by calibrating it with DisplayCAL and others.

As i know - in the new macbooks - apple uses wide gamut panels (wider than sRGB). as a result - color unmanaged applications looks oversaturated.

All color managed applications ( entire OSX itself and many others ) displays exported files and stills with correct color and saturation after calibration.

I tried calibrating display with spyder an displaycal - but nothing changes. -MC flashes for a moment with the new colors - and then again becomes oversaturated when switching icc profile in system preferences.

Im i doing something wrong? is there is a new/hidden setting in avid console?

is this problem wide related to all new wide gamut displays ( 2017 mbookpro , imac 5k) ?

Are there any suggestions ?

MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.10 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU 980ti; ATTO NT11;Baselight plug... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Sep 7 2018 11:10 AM In reply to

• jpjd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 22 2014
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Re: MC and wide gamut - oversaturated display colours on MBPro 2017 (P3 or wide gamut display)

Same. New imac pro is oversaturate when using media composer.

• Fri, Sep 7 2018 11:42 AM In reply to

• jpjd
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Re: MC and wide gamut - oversaturated display colours on MBPro 2017 (P3 or wide gamut display)

Actually I need to be more specific. The iMac Pro is my client moniter and I have a BenQ on my desk. They have been color calibrated and match perfectly. BUT when I run media composer and select full screen (which displays on the iMac Pro) the colors are slightly over saturated. Enough to annoy. Especially the reds! I’m running the latest version of Media Composer.

• Sun, Sep 9 2018 5:58 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,517
    • Points 64,010
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Right click on the Source and Composer monitors and check the Display Color Space setting for each monitor, then check the Display Color Space setting on the Full Screen Display setting to see if there are any discrepencies.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Sep 9 2018 1:45 PM In reply to

• jpjd
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Thank you for your response. I Tried that. They all say "Project". so I'm guessing they are all matched to project colour space.

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:25 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,517
    • Points 64,010

That setting will display the Project color space using Video values.  If you want it remapped to display correctly on a Computer display, try Rec 709 (Full Range).

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Nov 6 2018 9:52 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 256
    • Points 3,420

nothing changed. I assume - MC doesn't use system color settings

MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.10 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU 980ti; ATTO NT11;Baselight plug... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Tue, Nov 6 2018 7:24 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,517
    • Points 64,010

What's the format and codec of your source material and is it showing video (legal) or computer (full range) levels?

• Tue, Nov 6 2018 7:38 PM In reply to

Curious....in the Console can you use the command "moncon" and add one of these qualifiers

off

on

CPU

GPU

Then let me know the results for each.

Thanks

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller