Latest post Fri, May 4 2018 4:11 PM by Lennart Meyfeld. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 3 2018 1:01 PM

[SOLVED] How to add already project matching footage w/o transcoding?

The linking and transcoding or importing of footage in Avid still gives me headaches all time again since my job requirement is to prevent too much transcoding as much as possible. Coming from an editing background with other applications I still try to get thru' the Avid way of doing things for the new demands and requirements here in the company I work as an assistent. My top prioirity is: no additional unnecessary transcoding step. But some footage needs transcoding to even get accepted from AVID for linking or any other step. This means I have 2 possible transcoding steps here. One to make the footage acceptable for AVID and one when AVID adds it to the project.

I have 2 questions. 1 more general and 1 specific.

The 1st rather general question (like stated in the headline) is: How to import or link/transcode media which is already 100% concurrent to the AVID session settings without any additonal transcoding in the background and if it is not transcoding, how do I know that it is not transcoding? And the term import is confusing me while linking and transcoding later seems to force a transcode step anyway, correct? From what I know and like: AVID is coping the files into its managed mxf directories and is wrapping them with mxf op atom containers holding additional meta info regarding the project etc. which is quite useful for professional media management. But how can I prepare footage 100% to not get transcoded when adding to the project? I was "playing around" with ffmpeg and raw2bmx (BBC dnxhd command line tool) to create and put acceptable mxf files into the Mediafiles directories manually and AVID "knows" them, but it won't make useful master clips of them to use for editing. It only shows up in Media Pool and can be added as source files. That's it. It doesn't let me use them for editing.

The 2nd question is a child issue based on the question above: One part of my next job is to add old footage from a DVD (sadly the only source) to a film documentary and you can imagine how it scares me to prepare that footage and add it to the AVID project. Does anyone has experiences with such tasks and how do you prepare it for the AVID import without 2 times transcoding? My idea was, since the VOB files from the DVD are mpeg files, I can rename them to .mpeg and then can wrap them with a container which AVID knows in ffmpeg without transcpoding and let AVID make the one and only transcoding step? What do you think about it and which container makes sense here? Or does anyone has a better advice for this challenge?

MC 2018.x | ProTools 2018.x | Artist Mix,Color,Transport | Adam Audio Monitoring | SSL | PC Intel XEON 10 Core 64GB RAM, NVIDIA G-FORCE 1080, Quadro 4000... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2018 3:39 PM In reply to

Re: How to add already project matching footage w/o transcoding?

I teach people that Importinmg is basically a legacy ingest method. For some rare cases it has advantages but it makes the conform more complicated as you have to batch import the whole of the source even if only a fraction is used.

When you import you are doing a transcode anyway as it will convert to an Avid natice codec on import. Unless its already an Avid supported codec in whcih case it should offer the option to ignore the transcode setting and do a fast import, retaining the source resolution and codec but that will only happen if the source is exactly right.

You don't mention how your workflow is structured. Are you doing a direct online or are you doing an offline online workflow. It makes a big difference.

But basically if you AMA link to footage that is already Avid native you can consolidate it and it makes an avid media copy with no transcoding.

Be interesting to know what codecs aren't allowing you to directly AMA in.

Re the DVD the normal approach would be to rio it and transcode to a finishing resolution like DNX185 and then either AMA link and consolidate what you want or AMA link and transcode to offline media so you can relink later for online.

Depends on workflow.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, May 3 2018 4:07 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    When you import you are doing a transcode anyway.

That's part of what I try to find out. Even if the footage to import is already matching the project own settings and codec importing will still transcode?

Pat Horridge:
    Unless its already an Avid supported codec in whcih case it should offer the option to ignore the transcode setting and do a fast import, retaining the source resolution and codec but that will only happen if the source is exactly right.

That's what I hope because that's what would make me follow my first assumption which you mention here later:

Pat Horridge:
    Re the DVD the normal approach would be to rio it and transcode to a finishing resolution like DNX185 and then either AMA link and consolidate what you want or AMA link and transcode to offline media so you can relink later for online. [...] But basically if you AMA link to footage that is already Avid native you can consolidate it and it makes an avid media copy with no transcoding.

The part with the consolidating makes now more sense for me, thank you Pat, since it clears for me now what it is for else than only copying files from A to B what made me kind of wonder for what it is good for. Now it seems to be the "make the file understandable for your project and move it to a managed place" kind of thing without transcoding. Great. The hover tooltip explanation of AVID is kind of misleading since it only mentions the moving/copying but not that it makes the file ready for usage in bin and edit if it is matching the requirements.

Pat Horridge:
    Be interesting to know what codecs aren't allowing you to directly AMA in.

Well many I would assume. Especially when the container and codec combination is misleading for AVID. Even some MXF container files show "can't be linked" if they are no proper op mxf files with the codec and meta tags required/allowed. DVD footage can't be linked directly eather of course, but I think this is not surprising.

Thank you Pat. Your reply helped me a lot. To get a look over at somebody else's table makes it easier for me to make my conclusions and learning. Now I know I should take deeper look at consolidating which I have underestimated obviously here before.

To answer your question: Well, my workflow differs regarding the requirements. There is no fix workflow here since the projects are very different. The artist behind all this departments here is very versatile and every project brings up new requirements and new workflows needed. But most of the time we edit offline (proxy) of course if 2K or 4K. In case of this DVD footage for the documentary I still don't know what the final workflow will be since a) we don't know yet, if this documentary will have a theater release or TV only (2K or just HD) and b) I have a hard time to see me preparing the footage for proxy AND for final rendering and relinking it since I still have to learn more about AVIDs behaviour here before planning such things.

MC 2018.x | ProTools 2018.x | Artist Mix,Color,Transport | Adam Audio Monitoring | SSL | PC Intel XEON 10 Core 64GB RAM, NVIDIA G-FORCE 1080, Quadro 4000... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2018 5:27 PM In reply to

Glad it was helpful.

Always happy to come over to Germany and offer some training/support :-)

Yes you are right there is a bit of an art to getting the best workflow in terms of a proxy offline followed by a re-linked conform but it can be done and it can be robust and efficient. When you know how!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, May 4 2018 4:11 PM In reply to

Consolidating was in fact the part I missed. Thank you so much.

Pat Horridge:
    Yes you are right there is a bit of an art

Heh, ... yeah that's true too, but I was actually rather referring to the art[ist] behind all this projects here we work on. Never met somebody with so much different and deep going talent and different complex expressions as an artist. I am very happy to support his projects and hope to get used to AVID soon.

Thanks for the hint ;-) I will pass that along and recommend this! :)

Greetings and have a nice weekend.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller