Latest post Mon, Jun 4 2018 4:04 PM by JCBond. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 9 2018 3:56 PM

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 717
    • Points 10,945

New Avid Title Tool DOA?

So with all the confusing messaging that Avid is putting out about Media Composer, I've noticed that the highly touted "New Title Tool" that was announced 1 year ago seems to be forgotten, and not mentioned at all at this NAB.  It seems this announced feature is now DOA?  While trying to gain info on NAB, all I'm finding is a super amateurish page filled with tweets on the ACA site.  If the goal of Avid management is to confuse people, then they are doing a fantastic job.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 3:59 PM In reply to

• JCBond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 11 2006
    • Van Nuys CA, USA
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,145

Re: New Avid Title Tool DOA?

The title tool is still in development. It should be out by the end of the second quarter.

System 1: Symphony Nitris DX - HP xw8600 8xCores - Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. System 2: Symphony Nitris DX - HP xw8600 8xCores - Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. System... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 10 2018 8:54 AM In reply to

Be patient.

As we all are.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 1:05 PM In reply to

George Angeludis:

Be patient.

As we all are.

Some of us are more patient than others...as my girlfriend often reminds me when I'm driving in traffic. Big Smile

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 5:11 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,615

New title tool was demoed on stage at Avid Connect on Saturday, along with live timeline, hyperbins, grouped clip enhancements, and shaped based color correction. My NAB days are always jam packed with meetings, so I skipped the Avid booth, couldn't tell you it it was being shown there, but the upcoming features were talked about in my avid meeting with the Media Composer product manager. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 9:58 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 717
    • Points 10,945

This is all really good information.

If I may take the opportunity to point out to Avid executives and PR folks that this seems to be the first place that this information has been shared with their non-NAB-attending userbase.

By a random user who seems to be a non-Avid-employee. Several posts down. On an obscure forum post. Five days after-the-fact.

If that happened at my company, I have to think that several people would be fearing for their jobs. And rightly so. Does Avid's way of sharing information with their customers seem highly questionable to anyone else?  Maybe it's just me.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 10:08 PM In reply to

• JCBond
    • Not Ranked
    • Van Nuys CA, USA
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,145

Avid has made public via their website what is actually already delivered or coming very soon. All the other items they demonstrated or talked about in NAB are in the EARLY stages of development and were the top items identified on the Avid Customer Association (ACA) vote results for LAST year.

Those items (as listed a few post above) are in progress and will come to Media Composer AT SOME POINT between now and the end of the year.

Because they are NOT ready for public consumption they have not been heavily publicized yet. Though they were listed on various posts in Facebook and other social media outlets.

System 1: Symphony Nitris DX - HP xw8600 8xCores - Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. System 2: Symphony Nitris DX - HP xw8600 8xCores - Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. System... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 10:27 PM In reply to

Most companies "roll out" new products and improvements at big ticket events like NAB and within a few days the buzz is picked up by the general public.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 4:46 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 717
    • Points 10,945

JCBond:

All the other items they demonstrated or talked about in NAB are in the EARLY stages of development....Because they are NOT ready for public consumption they have not been heavily publicized yet. 

This is a fair response, and I guess I'm expecting too much communication from Avid.  It would seem I'm overly impatient compared with others. For my workflow and editing needs, there has not been a remotely worthwhile update to Media Compser for at least 4 years, so I'm a bit antsy for some of these features.  It seems the last few years have been exciting for everyone but me. From my perspective, I've seen a lot of really pointles, unremarkable new features for a very, very long time. But that's my problem, and not anyone else's.

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 4:57 PM In reply to

Come on man,

we are all together on this.

Is just that all the buzz is happening on FB last years.

People do their best.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 6:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,948
    • Points 214,885
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mike

I undestand th frustration and the need for features that you all have been asking for a long time.  I wish you had been at NAB to see first hand some of the amazing things on the near horizon.  The new title tool, realtime timeline, CC improviements....  I know that some of the peeps at NAB took some video and pictures so I can try and get them and post.  Wont be until at least monday.

tired and slammed.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 6:59 PM In reply to

• JCBond
    • Not Ranked
    • Van Nuys CA, USA
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,145

Atomike:
    For my workflow and editing needs, there has not been a remotely worthwhile update to Media Compser for at least 4 years, so I'm a bit antsy for some of these features.

Wow, During the last 2 to 3 years we have seen the most number of features introduced by Avid into Media Composer per month than at any other time in history.

it is true that everyone’s workflow is different but Avid has to serve a huge base of Very Different markets that have very different requirements.

have you seen this post with all the new features introduced since 8.0

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184014.aspx

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 7:22 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 717
    • Points 10,945

I appreciate your sentiment, but I think we're using the term "features" in the broadest possible sense.  I just went through the list you linked, and really the only item of substance (for me) was the support for higher-than-HD resolutions.  That addition is pretty great, and I'll concede that point. 

But what you've pointed out here is kinda my point.  Lots and lots of stuff.  But it's like dusting the furniture as the whole house is burning. The core product has been nearly completely neglected. Things MC has always gotten wrong, like the insane effects structure.  The horrible title tool.  The lack of integrated blending modes.  Editing audio and getting a professional result. Those are really essential to a modern NLE.  I don't want to paint with too broad a brush. I'm sure many people don't want any of these things, and are angry Avid is spending time on them. 

But I simply cannot understand how the essentials seem to be completely forgotten and ignored while every item on that long list were  apparently top priorities.  That's really all I'm saying. 

When I get a hint that the core product is improving (aka Live Timeline, New Title Tool), it gives me some hope!  And having that news buried - or only posted on a kiddie playground like Facebook - seems odd.  But that's Avid's choice, and it's fine. Overall, I'm really just glad that there does seem to be a little light at the end of the tunnel.  I AM very grateful for that.  

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 7:40 PM In reply to

• JCBond
    • Not Ranked
    • Van Nuys CA, USA
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,145

Mike,

I will absolutely agree that there are a lot of users that would like to see some, if not all the issues you bring up addressed, but you have to remember that this is a piece of software that was initially written 28 years ago. Some of the items on your list require a complete re-write of the core software.

Avid has not had the resources (cash) to do any of those projects in the last decade. It is not that the things that have been done in the past few years are necessarily higher priority, is that those things could be accomplished w/o having to uproot the software as a whole.

I would not dismiss what has been done so far to a lot of users these items were important. Now, things are changing and there is a renewed commitment to Media Composer that was clear at this NAB. You will certainly start to see more of the bigger ticket items in the years to come and yes I say years because these things take time.

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 7:41 PM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

I could not agree more. I am with mike 100% on this. We have abandoned avid for the first time for premier on a current major project <because> of buggy newblue and the promised and not delivered title tool. From that we are questioning re-subscribing to avid this year at all. We have our dongle. Outdated CC, non existent modern tilting  (come on, before we even had nle we had capable titling in tv stations delivered with computers - Collage and many others. I find it baffling that we even need to *ask* for this in a modern nle. And newblue - dont bother. Slow, buggy.. AE on *all* current project using live linking to bins), timelines that dont stop, layer handling in fx, subframe audio live on the timeline easily. The list is sooooooooooooo long and this titler, mentioned april last year, not shown at IBC in September,  rumoured for NAB but not ready for showing as released, but dont worry folks, its "coming soon". No, sorry, we have already drifted to Adobe and whilst i love avid, i fear it is too little, not delivered, too late. Sigh :(

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller