Latest post Thu, Apr 12 2018 8:24 PM by Kevin Klimek. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 6 2018 9:25 PM

• Rita Gama
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 5 2017
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Avid Problem Capture

Hi,

I am new on Avid and learning by editing some clips.

I am working on a project PAL 25p and editing Mini dv footage shot with a Panasonic DVX100b.

I started capturing the tapes with these settings:

Capture DV 25p 420 MXF (same for Render end Transcode/Mixdown)

I noticed that a thin green line appeared on the images of the uploaded tapes.

Someone suggested I tried to capture the tape with these settings:

Capture 1:1

Render DV 25p 420 MXF

Mixdown Transcode AppleProRes HQ.

I captured  a tape with these settings and the green thin line was not there anymore.

BUT other problems show up. As I try to put an effect on the clip either avid crashes or it gives me the error "segmentation fault in thread mainthread at address 0x0 avid" and then crashes, or even if lets me put the effect on the clip but as I render a very thick green line appears on the image.

What am I doing wrong?

Should I have created a new project before capturing the tape with different settings? did I mess up the whole project by changing settings after the first captures?

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 1:06 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Problem Capture

Rita Gama:
    Someone suggested I tried to capture the tape with these settings:

Capture 1:1

Render DV 25p 420 MXF

Mixdown Transcode AppleProRes HQ.

Rather than this I would use:
    Standard def project format.
    Capture DV 25i 420 MXF.    (Unless I knew that the camera used a genuine Progressive format then use 25P)
    Transcode to DNxHR MXF (you can set the DNxHR size to Standard Def frame sizes)
    One less format change and working with Avid Media formats. 
    Transcode settings (for interlace) in attached image.

FWIW I have been using this whilst restoring very old standard def masters.  MC is happy with the resultant clips. 
    Bonus: Resolve is happy with the format for scaling, noise reduction, grading and output to a modern format.

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 5:18 AM In reply to

• Rita Gama
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thank you! Yes, the camera is genuine progressive.

So you think all these issues (green line, crashing) are related to non native avid formats?

green line seems pretty hard to get rid off with the 25p 420 though...will give it a try anyway, thank you!

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 5:51 AM In reply to

Post a screen capture (saved as a *.jpg file for the forum) here that shows exactly what you are talking about. That should help narrow the issue down and probably quickly help to find good options.

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 4:32 PM In reply to

• Rita Gama
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Actually that problem disappeared. What I am facing now is this:

footage: Panasonic Minidv DVX100b  (shot in 25p)

if I capture with Dv250p 420Mxf the footage has a green line on it (disappears by resizing to 101%, so very thin one, but still...)

If I capture with 1:1 no green line. Quality appears the same. But then If i try to export as ProRes the footage appears way darker with too strong contrasts. 

Any tips for a more succesful workflow with this footage?

• Thu, Apr 12 2018 8:24 PM In reply to

When you export as ProRes, are you doing a mixdown first, then exporting Same as Source?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller