Latest post Tue, Apr 3 2018 12:23 PM by Bruno M. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 3 2018 8:54 AM

exception: shared access only allowed via Avid Nexis active connection

Hello worldwide MediaComposer users, I have this question:

After a "security-update" from Windows-10, the Avid-MC stops after the message: "exception: shared access only allowed via Avid Nexis active connection, filename NO_ANSI_FILENAME"

Anyone an idea?

Thanks,

Ger, Science Vision, the Netherlands

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 10:44 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 483
    • Points 6,125

Re: exception: shared access only allowed via Avid Nexis active connection

Can you undo the update using the roll-back feature in Win 10?

I think it's in  Settings/Update & Security/Recovery.

It's really not a good idea to let Windows automatically perform updates until they've thoroughly tested. Unfortunately, Win 10 has made it harder (but not impossible) to disable. Google to find out how to do this.

It's also a good idea to make a complete backup of your boot disk before major installs/updates (using some disk cloning software like Acronis) for times like this when all else fails.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 3 2018 11:26 AM In reply to

Hey Bruno,

thanks for your reply.

Problem is we are not allowed to ignore Security Updates (rules of the university ICT-dept.). When I do a Windows restore, the security update is not functional anymore. So I have to deal with it...

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 12:23 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 483
    • Points 6,125

Science Vision:
    Problem is we are not allowed to ignore Security Updates (rules of the university ICT-dept.)

I've been in a similar situation in the past with certain IT departments wanting to 'lock-down' all computers with identical policies, regardless of the user and software being used.

Avid software really need administrator privileges, and the potential security risks with staff/professionals is vastly different from that of casual users or students who may be visiting questionable web sites or downloading suspicious programs. Good IT departments know this and adjust their policies accordingly, but I know it's extra work for them so it's tempting to take the easy route and just apply the same restrictions.

In one situation where I was told that this was the policy, when Avid stopped working I simply passed the buck over to them to fix - using the logic that since their forced updates had caused the problem, they had to fix it. Although they didn't tell me for definite, I think they resorted to rolling back the update - which is what their group policy had prevented me from doing.

Ultimately, you need to gain the trust of the IT people so you have an arrangement where you can at least delay the updates, so you can test them out on one workstation during down-time, before rolling it out to the rest of your computers.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller