Latest post Wed, Apr 4 2018 10:51 AM by Job ter Burg. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 2 2018 4:40 PM

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 21 2006
    • The New Forest, South Coast, UK
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,255

No output to client monitor

Trialing MC 8.9 using AJA Kona 3 but not getting video to ext monitor. Coming out from Component on AJA breakout box to HD monitor. Sound is coming out to seperate speakers - but no picture. Have run through the obvious checks. Using latest AJA drivers incl the latest i/o software. Any ideas?

Avid Media Composer 2018.11, Kona 3, HP XW8600 2x3.16 Ghz Quad Zeon (X5460), 8 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti. [view my complete system specs]

Lots of kit... only one pair of hands!

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 11:05 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 549
    • Points 7,005

Re: No output to client monitor

Some additional information about your setup and project settings would be helpful for people to try and diagnose the problem.

Your system specs seem well out of date as it mentions Avid Express Pro and Mojo SDI - there's no mention of AJA Kona 3.

Given that the sound is getting through, it suggests the Kona card is being recognised and used by Avid. The obvious questions that arise are..

Are you working at SD or HD - is your monitor capable of accepting component HD signals?

What's the frame rate?  - also, interlaced or progressive? Some monitors will only accept signals that meet certain formats & frame rates through its inputs. For instance, I still have a pro CRT display that has component and HDSDI inputs, but the component inputs are only SD and the HD inputs won't accept progressive, so I have to modify the output to be Psf.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 3 2018 1:27 PM In reply to

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,255

Hi, yes sorry about the old data - couldn't find the correct way to update the info. I still use my aged Xpress Pro, but I am trialing the latest MC as I'm moving from SD to HD and need to output to a client monitor (which I can't seem to achive with the Xpress set-up).

Current system is HP xw 8600, Win 7 (SP1) Dual Zeon, 8Gb memory, Kona 3 card - which is being recognised by Avid in the AJA control panel.

Project is HD 1080P Pal 25fps.

The monitor is a domestic SEIKI full HD and refresh is at 1080i @ 50 Hz

Turning on the system this morning gives a picture on the monitor but it is zoomed in, top part of frame only and has black horizontal lines.

Maybe I should look at selecting Psf at the AJA control panel.

Avid Media Composer 2018.11, Kona 3, HP XW8600 2x3.16 Ghz Quad Zeon (X5460), 8 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti. [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 3:54 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 549
    • Points 7,005

Roger Owen:
    The monitor is a domestic SEIKI full HD and refresh is at 1080i @ 50 Hz

Don't know this monitor but if it's a domestic model, it may only accept interlaced (or Psf), and if it has component inputs, are you sure they are HD capable? I'm assuming it has HDMI inputs and these are the most likely to support HD.

Does your Kona card have HDMI out that you could try?

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 3 2018 5:09 PM In reply to

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,255

Thanks. No HDMI on the Kona Card - just component out. Avid seems to be controlling the AJA control panel and is selecting 1080P, as this is the project setting I guess. TV says it's working at 1080i - again I don't seem to have any control over that. Might try another monitor.

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 6:02 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 549
    • Points 7,005

You should be able to switch the settings in MC to interlaced.

Go to the format tab, and open the 'Presets' dropdown. Here you should be able to change the setting to 1080i50.

Hopefully your Kona card should switch to interlaced HD, which might make your monitor happy.

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 6:39 PM In reply to

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,255

BRILLIANT! That works a treat. Will editing my 1080P/25 project as 1080i/50 create any problems with my edit?

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 7:08 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 549
    • Points 7,005

Not really. You'll notice that when you edit your progressive clips onto the timeline they'll have temporal adaptors applied to them. if you inspect one of them by opening the effects panel for it, you'll see no speed change, simply the input-to-output settings will be set for progressive-to-interlaced. In fact when I was was doing just this on UK TV programmes  (which needed to be delivered interlaced) I just deleted these adaptors and I could never see any difference.

I've been told that creating effects in interlaced mode requires more processing, but on the upside, motion effects and rolling titles are much smoother.

I guess if you need to output progressive, you'll need to switch back just before you export. In this case you may find you'll need to redo any rendered effects, but I'm not sure.

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 9:44 PM In reply to

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,255

Thank you so much, this has been a great help!

• Tue, Apr 3 2018 9:58 PM In reply to

Any chance you can set the AJA control panel to PsF (or sF) in stead of P? According to this manual, p. 53 this setting is available under the Video Setup tab.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 4 2018 8:17 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 549
    • Points 7,005

Job ter Burg:

Any chance you can set the AJA control panel to PsF (or sF) in stead of P? According to this manual, p. 53 this setting is available under the Video Setup tab.

The manual has this sentence under the Progressive Formats paragraph...

This feature is used to default the hardware to use either p or PsF over SDI when it has not been specified by the application.

I wonder if this implies that if the application (MC) is specifying P, that it overrides this setting?

• Wed, Apr 4 2018 10:11 AM In reply to

Pretty sure my AJA T-Tap lets me change this manually. But that's for HD-SDI/HDMI, of course. Not sure how this would work for the Kona and its analog outputs, sorry.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 4 2018 10:16 AM In reply to

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,255

Ah, yes - this seems to work too. So I can now rest MC to 25P. Thanks for all your help.

• Wed, Apr 4 2018 10:51 AM In reply to

Excellent!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller