Latest post Mon, Mar 26 2018 10:15 PM by Martin Fox. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 23 2018 3:17 AM

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 14 2018
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

Need help using video monitor with media composer and Black Magic converter

Hi there,

I have just purchased a new PC and downloaded the latest version of Media Composer

I have 2 questions which I can't figure out and really need some help:

1) I am currently running a dual screen setup but want to add my JVC Video output monitor as a grading/video monitor (3rd monitor).

At work I have this setup with the Mac and it is great. The Mac is powering 2 screens via HDMI and then feeds a thunderbolt out into an AJA Converter (thunderbolt to sdi) which then feeds the SDI into the VIdeo monitor.

How do I set up this at my home can you please tell me how to configure and select the monitor within the Media Composer software.

2) Problem 2 relates to Windows 10 and running the 3 screens simultaneously. I am using a GTX 1080 Graphics card which has 1x hdmi, 1x dvi and 3x display ports.

I currently am running 2 samsung monitors via the following methods (DVI from my computer to the 1st monitor) & (DP from my computer to a DP>DVI adapter, then into the 2nd monitor). This setup is fine. Premiere and windows works fine.

HOWEVER....

When trying to connect my video monitor I encounter problems.

I have purchased a Black Magic Mini converter (HDMI > SDI 6G) I was intending to use this in a similar way to how I operate at work. This would be to take a HDMI feed from my computer and run it into the Black Magic Converter, then to take the SDI feed out of the converter and put it into the back of the JVC video monitor. The issue I face is that when I plug the HDMI cable into the PC so I can use the converter I lose my taskbar and mouse operation in Windows. Now this only happens when the converter is running with its power supply. If I simply plug an open ended HDMI cable into the back of the PC or have the converter plugged in but not running power everything remains ok.

To run a further test I took out one of the normal monitors. This setup is (DVI to DVI monitor) and then the (HDMI to Converter then SDI to video monitor). This ALSO made the taskbar and mouse dissapear. I am thinking this issue is related to the Black Magic converter? But how?

We use the AJA T TAp converter at work to split the thunderbolt signal to SDI but because my computer at home is a PC I don't have thunderbolt only HDMI or DP out.

Can anyone help or shed any insight into this?

Kind Regards

• Fri, Mar 23 2018 4:20 AM In reply to

Re: Need help using video monitor with media composer and Black Magic converter

Assuming you have PCI slots available I would buy a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k card. (around about $200)  Use the BM Mini converter to take the Intensity Pro's HDMI to SDI.

MC recognises the Intensity Pro as Hardware and so you have no problem with Dual screen MC from your video card + BM hardware video output for the JVC.  (Running this setup on 2 Windows systems here.) 

• Fri, Mar 23 2018 4:25 AM In reply to

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

Thanks for the reply.

I am not going to do that as I have already spent a fortune on the new PC. Can the Black Magic mini converter not do the job? Can the GTX 1080 card not handle it? I was under the impression that it is a very good card. Why would I need the Inensity Pro 4k card if my computer has the very same outputs?

• Fri, Mar 23 2018 4:39 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,430

I think this is due to display sync.

computer sync is different to video sync. The black magic converter expects video sync, maybe your graphics card does a handshake wth the black magic converter and sets itself up to provide video sync, and you loose your desktop tools.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 23 2018 6:30 AM In reply to

I second the recommendation to get rid of the hdmi-sdi converter and get something like an Intensity card in stead. Dirt cheap.

A very important thing to understand is that the T Tap you use at work is NOT showing itself to your computer as a third screen, but is adding a client video monitor output device to the system. In your setup, you are making your graphics card feed yor third monitor. This is not the way to feed a monitor you want to use as a main video monitor and certainly not for grading. Video is different from computer monitors.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 23 2018 7:20 AM In reply to

• ADG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

If i purchase the Intensity Card would i still need to convert the HDMI to SDI as there is no direct sdi output from the card? My video monitor doesn't take HDMI.

What about the Black Magic decklink mini monitor 4k. Seems to have the SDI output which owul bypass any converting?? 

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/decklink

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 10:15 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,430

I have the BMD mini monitor, hdmi and sdi, which works well for HD. Though I use a audio stripper to extract the audio from the hdmi output, because my monitor does not do audio.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller