Latest post Sat, Apr 21 2018 12:05 PM by Martin Fox. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 22 2018 8:12 PM

Media Composer First Crashed on startup

Dear Sirs,  please have a look into this matter, as the MC First is crashing upon start-up when loading the "AMPIPluginDSM.avx" file. 

Thank you so very much

System: Latest MacOS, latest MC First version, Pro Tools 2018 running without problems, trial of MC installed and uninstalled, re-installed MC First again, but still same problem...

• Thu, Mar 22 2018 9:09 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,512
    • Points 16,490
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Media Composer First Crashed on startup

Hi Oliver,

Looks like an issue with certain avx plug-ins, You can try moving the AVX plugins one by one to check which one causes MC to crash.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 22 2018 9:33 PM In reply to

Hi Ralph,

i would do if i could find them.... both spotlight and finder won´t reveal where the plugins are located, i have also tried to search for the extension avx, including the exact file name. 

Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Oliver

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:53 AM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 15 2018
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

I found the file after much hunting but that does not help. Only way I can get MC to start is to delete or rename the AMPIPluginDSM.avx file. Then it starts but with all audio functions disabled which is not too helpful.

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 11:44 AM In reply to

• Nils S
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Hi RalphC,

I am getting this crash on fresh installs with just the stock AMA directory in my "AVX2_Plug-Ins". Here's my test results:

• When i clear the directory completely, it just silently quits on "Initializing plugin: AMPIPluginDSM.avx", not even showing the crash reporter. This should also not happen, right?
    • With all five stock AMA plugins: Crash occurs
    • With just MSP_MXF.avx: NO crash (twice in a row!)
    • With just MSP_AS11.avx: Crash occurs
    • With just MSP_WaveAiff.avx: Crash occurs
    • With just MVP_MSP_AS02.avx: Just quits, no crash reporter. Seconds try: "regular" crash occurs
    • With just MVP_MSP_AvidImageSequencer.avx: NO crash (tested twice)
    • With MSP_MXF and MVP_MSP_AvidImageSequencer: NO crash

I had that problem in MC:F 2018.3, and it also happens in MC (no ":F") 2018.4.
    You should have received at least 30 crashdumps from me alone over the past 3 days :p 

Best
    Nils 

Retina iMac Late 2014, i7, 32GB, macOS 10.13.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:26 PM In reply to

Nils S:
    I am getting this crash on fresh installs with just the stock AMA directory in my "AVX2_Plug-Ins".

I'm basically having the same problem ( http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184197.aspx ). I tried to duplicate your test results, but the best I could achieve was a "silent crash." I hope someone can figure this out. I was really hoping to enjoy MC!

--Kevin

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014); Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7; Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 7:40 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Now I'm confused. Non of the files you mention exist in my AMA directory! This is a MC First 2018.4 install downloaded yesterday.

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 7:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,340
    • Points 207,060
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Nils

The most common workaround for this error whther it be MC First or MC  is to move ALL the audio plug-ins out of their folder.

Create a new folder on the desktop. Open the AVX2_Plug-Ins folder and drag all the contents to the new folder on the desktop.  

Restart MC...   Check that the issue has gone away.  If it has then move audio plug ins back a small number at a time checking after every move that MC still does not have an issue.  This should allow you to identify which of your plug- ins is giving trouble.    It most like is one or a combo of more than one.  So if you find that to be the case then you will have to do this a few times in order to find the cuprit(s)

A MC Forums search will probably show posts that have identified some of the plug-ins others have had trouble with over the years.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:18 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Marianna,

just tried that. It started with the error that quicktime is not installed then crashed with the same error initialising AMPIPluginDSM.avx.

Still confused as to why the contents of my AMA folder are so different to someone elses with exactly the same install.

Jon

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,340
    • Points 207,060
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Did you have MC full or PT first or PT full installed?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:24 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Full PT on subscription and added MC First to try it out before going for a subscription. But so far my testing has not progressed further then the startup screnn :)

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:24 PM In reply to

• Nils S
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

fatjon:
    just tried that. It started with the error that quicktime is not installed then crashed with the same error initialising AMPIPluginDSM.avx.

Yep, exactly the same here.

fatjon:
    Still confused as to why the contents of my AMA folder are so different to someone elses with exactly the same install.

There are TWO locations for AVX2_Plug-Ins: One within the MC application bundle in Contents/SharedSupport/AVX2_Plug-Ins, and one in /Library/Application Support/Avid/AVX2_Plug-Ins. I was talking about, and testing with, the latter.

Retina iMac Late 2014, i7, 32GB, macOS 10.13.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:26 PM In reply to

fatjon:

Full PT on subscription and added MC First to try it out before going for a subscription. But so far my testing has not progressed further then the startup screnn :)

100% "ditto". :-)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014); Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7; Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,340
    • Points 207,060
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

You have got to have left over remnants of the PT First and/or PT install that is causing havoc.   Let me see what I can find out re exact files they install....

back to you all tomrorow.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:38 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Thanks Nils

I removed all 5 from the other location in library/ and still the same crash of Ampiplugindsm.avx so not quite the same results as you but certainly no better. But I did get the crash reporter.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller