Latest post Fri, Mar 2 2018 12:43 PM by Bandido. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 16 2018 9:23 AM

MEDIA COMPOSER 2018.2 NOW AVAILABLE - 15 FEB 2018

Avid is pleased to announce the February release of Media Composer 2018 which will go live today, February 15th, 2018 at 3:00 PM EDT.  

Location at Launch:  This release of Media Composer will be made available from Avid Master Accounts, Application Manager, and the Avid Download Center (login and password required) later today, Thursday, February 15th, 2018 @ 3:00 PM EDT.  

Version Reminder: The version number scheme Avid uses for the applications has changed.  Starting with the last release, version numbers will use the year followed by the month.  

Installer:  There is an Media Composer Mac and Win Full Installer. 

What is fixed:  This software release contains a number of important bug fixes, including:

• Bug Number: MCCET-2251. (Windows 10) Background services were not working for Dynamic Media Folders.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2242. MXF OP1a XAVC 300 UHD media failed to play when linked with Source Browser.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2223. Syncing multiple clips changed the aspect ratio in the bin column from 16x9 to 4x3.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2280. When creating Site Settings, the setting for the Interplay Folder did not work.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2263. When exporting Same as Source AVCi/50 media, the image might have video artifacts and scrambled signals.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2261. The Production Management window was not available from the Tools menu until you logged in.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2246. You would lose full transparency after cropping an image with an Alpha channel.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2274. In some instances, entering values in the Effect Editor reset to 0.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2194. In some instances, making audio adjustments did not affect rendered audio effects in the Timeline.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2234. Reverse Match Frame pointed to the incorrect frame when working with synced clips with different audio Pan.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2281. If you were working in an Interplay environment, Media Composer might have crashed when exiting the application.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2247. In some instances, the editing application would crash when importing AAF with embedded video and audio.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2237. If you named a project folder with an invalid name (such as CLIP) you received an error you could not recover from unless you performed an end task. With this release, if you use an invalid name for a project folder, you will receive a message indicating the name is invalid and you will be able to rename the folder.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2219. In some instances, the Media Composer would hang for approx. 30 seconds on “Connecting to Media Indexer” in the Splash Screen.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2245. When attached to a Nitris DX, rendering long (20 min.) stereo audio clips with AudioSuite effects would hang during the render process.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2190. You might have seen a shift in volume/reverb effect when working with the Avid SPACE plug-in.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2204. When working with the Media Composer | Cloud client, incorrect frames were displayed in the Source Monitor when scrubbing with Video Cache enabled.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2101. (Mac) In some instances, you would see the spinning beach ball when editing with a sequence with many clips (+1000).
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2209. When performing a 1080p/30 AMA File Export to DPX, you might have received a “Selected compression format is unsupported” error message.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8627. When working with locales other than English, the title names of some Settings windows were not displayed correctly.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8809. You might have received an Assert error when working in the Marker Window with the Frame column enabled.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8817. Setting a specific bin view as the default view then opening a new bin did not use the default bin view.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2210. Imported IMX50 media might have appeared vertically stretched when placed it on the Timeline.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8800. If you had enabled the “Skip prompts to save locked bins on Auto-save” in the Bin Settings window, you would get a warning the next time you opened the Bin Settings window.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8763. You might have received an erroneous “A minimum screen height of 768 is required” error when launching the editing application.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-6253. When in Text View, you might have seen black or transparency at the bottom of the bin when resizing the bin.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8735. Grid Settings did not update when you clicked Apply.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8682. In some instance’s using Ctrl +Z for Undo did not work properly when you were making changes in the Effect Editor window for some effects such as BCC. 
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2236. The editing application might have crashed if you performed a Remove Match Frame Edit with the Marker window open.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2227. (Macintosh) Reveal File did not reveal all the files if the clip had more than 16 tracks.

Limitations:  The following limitations have been identified:

• Bug Number: MCCET-2229. With Media Composer v8.9.3 and above, even when disconnected from Avid Interplay, when you selected and opened a project the Login pop-up was displayed.
    • Bug Number: MCCET-2205. The import might have failed when batch re-importing a clip with a tape name.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-8037. If you start a Long GOP capture on an AirSpeed system with a data track and without specifying a duration (a “crash record”), send to playback from Assist or Media Composer of a sequence using this in-progress clip might fail with the status of Canceled when TMF export should begin.
      • Workaround: Specify a duration for the capture, turn off ancillary data for the capture, or use the STP Encode service.
    • Bug Number: COGS-2560. While working in the Script Window, text operations (cut/copy/paste/delete/editing) can only be done in edit mode. See “Editing a Script” in the Help.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-5650. When working with Panasonic LongG media, you might receive an “SFPlayConsumer Timeout” error if audio waveforms are enabled.
      • Workaround: Turn off audio waveforms.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-5385. Multicam editing with Panasonic LongG media is not supported with this release.
    • Bug Number: MCDEV-5384. Currently, when working with LongG media, you might see dropped frames when editing 4 streams. This might occur when playing from a single stream to multiple streams (and from multiple streams back to a single stream). The dropped frames usually display around the edit point (transition to a different stream).

How customers will obtain the Media Composer 2018 Updates:  The latest update to Media Composer and Media Composer | First will be available today, Thursday, February 15th, 2018 at 3:00 PM EDT.

1.  Customers who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer will be notified of the availability of the upgrade via the Application Manager. The Apps tab also provides a link to download and install the update when desired. 

2.  New customers who purchase Media Composer will receive the update in their Avid Master Account.

3.  Customers on current Update & Support plans can download the Media Composer update either from their Avid Master Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required.) 

4.  Customers not on a current Update & Support contract must purchase either a new Media Composer Subscription or Perpetual license to receive this update. 

Reminder: This February release of Media Composer requires an active Update & Support plan. Please remind customers of this before suggesting they install this update.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Feb 16 2018 7:13 PM In reply to

Re: MEDIA COMPOSER 2018.2 NOW AVAILABLE - 15 FEB 2018

Well, since I just finished installing 2018.1 in 8 suites this morning, I think I will wait until the next update.  But thank you so much for the constant evolution of updates and upgrades.

Might I suggest adding Rotation Paramater to the Avid Pan and Zoom effect?

Thanks

David

All PC - 11 MC/Symphony Nitris DX 2018.1 - Interplay 3.6/90TB Mirrored Avid ISIS 5500 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 17 2018 12:36 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,300

OMG, this is a HUGE update for Color Correction! The scopes are updating in realtime on playback, and I'm getting super fast responsiveness on the controls. THANK YOU!!!

Maybe I'll look into getting an Avid Artist Color now? Can anyone confirm responsiveness with the Color hardware?

Self-built -- Always current MC version with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard and Core i7-6850K, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 17 2018 1:31 AM In reply to

wkumingo:
    Can anyone confirm responsiveness with the Color hardware?
    This is only a very quick, out of interest,  look at the Colour Panel here with MC 2018.2. Up until now I had not considered turning this panel on for MC or Symphony during the last 36 months.

With MC the controls are much much more responsive than I remember with playback paused.  As far as I could tell any control surface adjustments during playback do not show during playback. Also Control Surface adjustments I made during playback do not show up when playback is paused.  Tests were on a W7 SP1 computer with MC 2018.2. The panel here has the latest firmware.

wkumingo:
    Maybe I'll look into getting an Avid Artist Color now?
    Second hand would seem to be your only option for a purchase.    See this threa

• Sat, Feb 17 2018 2:01 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,300

AndrewAction:
    With MC the controls are much much more responsive than I remember with playback paused.  As far as I could tell any control surface adjustments during playback do not show during playback.

Thanks for doing a quick check! Just so I understand correctly, Color hardware is still not good for correcting during playback, but parked on a single frame seems more responsive?

AndrewAction:
    Second hand would seem to be your only option for a purchase

Right... it's EOL, yes? I think B&H still has them. Maybe I should "wait 'til NAB," as they say.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard and Core i7-6850K, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 17 2018 4:04 AM In reply to

wkumingo:
    Color hardware is still not good for correcting during playback
    As I said I could find no evidence that it could. My test was quick and performed with the my cursory interest as a user who gave up on this panel with Avid 3 years ago. 
    Hopefully this discussion will provoke some serious, regular users of the Color Panel with MC / Symphony to evaluate this new MC update and share their findings here. 

wkumingo:
    Right... it's EOL, yes?
    Yes

• Sat, Feb 17 2018 8:13 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,300

Thanks for the insight! I'll hold off on the Color hardware for now, but still... I think this is a great improvement in Avid's color correction toolkit.

• Sat, Feb 17 2018 11:03 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,491
    • Points 64,420

camoscato:

• Bug Number: MCCET-2274. In some instances, entering values in the Effect Editor reset to 0.
  • Bug Number: MCCET-2234. Reverse Match Frame pointed to the incorrect frame when working with synced clips with different audio Pan.
  • A couple of fixes worth taking the time to update, although the issues with the reverse match frame are plenty and I'm looking forward for yet another update to fix them all...

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Feb 20 2018 5:24 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,173
    • Points 14,070

wkumingo:
    The scopes are updating in realtime on playback,

And it works fine on my now 'ageing' system (see specs)...I was waiting for this since...well...huh...that made my day Big Smile!

MC 2018.12 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (10.11.2.0); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz - 32... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 20 2018 8:33 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

wkumingo:

AndrewAction:
    Second hand would seem to be your only option for a purchase

Right... it's EOL, yes? I think B&H still has them. Maybe I should "wait 'til NAB," as they say.

FWIW, B&H sale on Avid Artist Color MSRP -$200. Offer ends 11:59 PM tonight (2.20.18)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/900827-REG/Avid_9900_65172_00_Artist_Color_Control_Surface.html

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 27 2018 10:43 AM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,190

is setting up a new system to a customer, new Nexis E4 and some clients

Is everything fine with version 2018.2. Should we use it? 

• Thu, Mar 1 2018 3:25 PM In reply to

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,095

wkumingo:

OMG, this is a HUGE update for Color Correction! The scopes are updating in realtime on playback, and I'm getting super fast responsiveness on the controls. THANK YOU!!!

Maybe I'll look into getting an Avid Artist Color now? Can anyone confirm responsiveness with the Color hardware?

I am using 2018.2.0 on my 2012 Macbook Pro and I am not getting realtime updates on the Scope during playback. Can you please tell me what is required to enable this new feature? Thanks!!!

Mid-2012 Quad Core 2.6ghz Macbook Pro, 16GB Ram, Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Media Composer 2018.12 with Symphony option. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 1 2018 6:36 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,300

Check the ReadMe. The left and right CC monitors both need to be showing scopes, not Previous and Next.

• Fri, Mar 2 2018 12:43 PM In reply to

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,095

I've got it. Thank you!!!

Mid-2012 Quad Core 2.6ghz Macbook Pro, 16GB Ram, Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Media Composer 2018.12 with Symphony option. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller