Latest post Thu, Mar 1 2018 6:10 PM by dreid. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 14 2018 12:05 AM

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 226
    • Points 3,005

Recipe Needed for Exporting DNxHR HQX

Hi Everybody ... The native format of my 4K timeline is DNxHR HQX - High Quality (12-bit 4:2:2). I need to deliver this timeline to the broadcaster who will accept MXF (probably would accept QT too, have to check on that). (I know they accept Pro-Res but I am working on Windows system, hence no Pro-res.) How do I get my great looking 4K show out of my Avid and into their hands?

I was wondering if one of you skilled online editors could proivide me with a "recipie" or a method to export DNxHR HQX (either in a MXF or QT wrapper) straight from my timeline in oprder to deliver a master file to a broadcaster (or to Deluxe for QC). PS, the audio portion of my my timeline is populated by stems from audio post. Full mix on 1 & 2, mix minus narration on 3 & 4 ... then I have all the other mono stems like SFX, music, etc..

Another option is Adobe Media Encoder. Perhpas I could export a QT Ref from Avid and use Media Encoder to make DNxHR HQX? Either way, does anyone out there have a good recipie or instructions for doing so? What do you all use to get your shows out of the Avid and into the broadcaster's hands? Tape is bye bye and non existant for 4K afaik ... god i miss digital beta! Your input would be GREATLY appreciated!

MC 8.5.3, DNxIO w/ 10.5.4, Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Dell 7910, Dual 10 core Xeon 3.10, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, Quadro K5200, 1 TB SSD system drive, 1 TB SSD cache... [view my complete system specs]

And back to a windowless room full of Avids he goes.

• Wed, Feb 14 2018 9:14 AM In reply to

• fkurz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 23 2008
    • Posts 31
    • Points 380

Re: Recipe Needed for Exporting DNxHR HQX

I would use: Output - AMA File Export...

There you can select MXF OP1a and DNxHR HQX. For audio use direct out but you have to check how many tracks you can do. I think 8 or 16.

Regards

Flo

Avid MC 2018.2 symphony option HP Z820 Win 7 64Bit, SP 1 Mojo-DX Interface [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 1 2018 6:10 PM In reply to

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 226
    • Points 3,005

Re: Recipe Needed for Exporting DNxHR HQX

Hi Flo, sorry I did not reply to this thread sooner, I was out of town on vacation for a bit. Thank you for the advice about using AMA File Export. I knew that Avid had built-in tools to handle output, but I didnt know how to access them. Your suggestion worked perfectly and the file is now on its way out the door. In this case, I used Direct Out, as you suggested, but only for 4 tracks: A1,2 = Full Mix Stereo and A3,4 = Full Mix Minus, classic setup for international distribution. For video, I selected MXF OP1a and DNxHR HQX as suggested, as this was the same format of all the footage in my timeline. To check my results, I re-imported the file via link (MXF cannot be imported into Avid, oddly enough) and the linked file looked identical in every way to the exported timeline. DNx resolutions are usually good for multiple generations, has been my experience.

I wonder when/if Avid will allow the straight import of MXF? I also wonder, as a side note, how DNx HQX stacks up quality-wise against ProRes HQX, because a lot of the distributors and broadcasters are asking for Pro Res right out of the gate. I think DNx and Pro Res are like comparing apples to apples, but i have no direct experience as I never in my life worked on a Mac (well, that's not true entirely, but I have mostly succeeded in blocking those memories Smile)

Anyways, thanks again, Flo, your advice was timely and very much appreciated. This forum is great for this kind of stuff!

MC 8.5.3, DNxIO w/ 10.5.4, Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Dell 7910, Dual 10 core Xeon 3.10, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, Quadro K5200, 1 TB SSD system drive, 1 TB SSD cache... [view my complete system specs]

And back to a windowless room full of Avids he goes.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller