Latest post Fri, Feb 9 2018 7:39 PM by nigelpedwards. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 6 2018 9:28 AM

I bought Boris RED thinking it would work inside MC like Avid FX

I was used to using Avid FX during my time using Avid MC version 5.5, which came bundled with it.  Now that I'm on the very latest version of Avid MC (non-subscription, with an annually renewed support contract) I wanted to regain access to those Avid FX filters and I've read a few things on the forums suggesting that Boris RED is just like Avid FX.

So I went ahead and purchased Boris RED for $295, the upgrade price.

However, having installed Boris RED I'm finding it doesn't appear that I can use it directly in MC - it seems I have to add a Boris RED effect (and it doesn't seem to matter which one) and then choose "Launch User Interface" in the Effect Editor, after which I then need to do everything within the Boris RED interface.

Am I missing something here?  I ask as, if this is true, then this isn't equivalent to Avid FX, where I didn't need to leave MC to add filters and transitions.  And it means I need to get to grips with the Boris interface.

Any insight into this would be most appreciated Smile

• Tue, Feb 6 2018 11:28 AM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,843
    • Points 24,135

Re: I bought Boris RED thinking it would work inside MC like Avid FX

I have Boris Red installed on my system.  What you are describing in your post is exactly how it works.  Add the effect then go to the effects editor, open the user interface and create what you want, then apply and render.  It all works well within MC.  Any other questions just let me know.

Hope this helps,

Denny.

Just so you know, Boris red is EOL.  If you check the BorisFX website, I believe there is a version 5.6 update.

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 6 2018 12:28 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply Denny.

At least I know that I'm not doing anything wrong, but it does mean that it's not as seamless as Avid FX or Boris Continuum Complete were in Avid MC 5 Sad  I used to be able to do everything without leaving MC, just like you still can with MC's own effects.

I wonder why MC shows 7 different effects within "Boris RED forAvid", do you know?  It seems that whichever you choose there, you make your actual choice within the Boris interface...?

I had heard something about RED being EOL.  I have version 5.6.  What options does this leave in future I wonder...?

Thanks again Smile

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 11:10 AM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 9 2006
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 456
    • Points 6,210

I'm confused - Avid FX and Boris Red (which were both the same app) both launched the same way as you describe. Nothing changed between the two versions in that respect.

Red 5.6 has more realtime effects than the Avid FX version.

Edit 1:- Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz (self build) Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo 24GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 2:17 PM In reply to

Boris effects in Avid MC v. 5.0.4.2

Hopefully it's possible to view the image that I've tried to include in this reply (if only I could just paste the image in here, but that doesn't seem to be possible).

Maybe it was because Avid MC 5.0.4.2 came with Boris Continuum Complete, but I didn't need to leave MC to make use of Boris effects

- Number 1 in the image shows how I could take, for example, the BCC Corner Pin effect from BCC Distortion & Perspective, apply it to a clip, and then open the effects editor and change the configuration of the effect, all within MC.

- Number 2 in the image shows how I could also apply the same BCC Corner Pin effect via Avid FX, where I would take the Avid FX Filter from Avid FX and apply it to a clip and then open the effect edit, select "Launch User Interface", and then in Avid FX I'd have to go to Distortion & Perspective > BCC Corner Pin.

I never used the approach in Number 2 as I found it so much more convenient to stay within Avid MC.

So, was I able to use this approach because MC 5.0.4.2 had Boris Continuum Complete?  If so, what a shame that Boris RED couldn't be integrated into MC in the same way.

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 5:56 PM In reply to

nigelpedwards:
    if only I could just paste the image in here, but that doesn't seem to be possible
    With the Reply page open Tab from Compose to Options. Click on Add/Update. Click on Choose File, Click on Post.. tab back to Compose page.
    See attached image

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 7:09 PM In reply to

nigelpedwards:

Maybe it was because Avid MC 5.0.4.2 came with Boris Continuum Complete, but I didn't need to leave MC to make use of Boris effects

- Number 1 in the image shows how I could take, for example, the BCC Corner Pin effect from BCC Distortion & Perspective, apply it to a clip, and then open the effects editor and change the configuration of the effect, all within MC.

- Number 2 in the image shows how I could also apply the same BCC Corner Pin effect via Avid FX, where I would take the Avid FX Filter from Avid FX and apply it to a clip and then open the effect edit, select "Launch User Interface", and then in Avid FX I'd have to go to Distortion & Perspective > BCC Corner Pin.

You've confused two different Boris products.

Boris Continuum Complete is a set of plugin effects that works within Media Composer just like  native Media Composer effects, using Media Composer's effects mode.

Boris RED/Avid FX is a separate program with its own user interface which can be accessed from within Media Composer.

It's not two different approaches to applying Avid FX filters, it's two different Boris products. You haven't been using Avid FX, you've been using Boris Continuum Complete.

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Feb 8 2018 9:57 AM In reply to

Thanks Andrew (I was trying to use the "Insert/Edit Image" icon, which seemed to be the right place).

The image I was talking about should be visible on this post.

• Thu, Feb 8 2018 11:24 AM In reply to

Yes, I see what you mean camoscato, you're quite right of course. but as MC 5 came with both BCC and Avid FX it wasn't clear to me which was which.  It's a little odd though as so many of the BCC effects are also in Avid FX/Boris RED.  I wonder if all the Avid FX filters are contained in BCC, which would make me wonder why they included both.

• Fri, Feb 9 2018 7:30 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,595

OT but potentially of interest to OP, I recieved email today from Eyescream Factory advertising BCC 11 for AvidFX users. $700 instead of $1700. Whether or not it's worthwhile is another story.  

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 9 2018 7:39 PM In reply to

That's essentially the same price as the upgrade from version 9 or below price, which is $695.00.

It is expensive, although I suspect it would last for years without needing an upgrade, unlike the $300+ every year you feel you have to pay to keep up with Avid MC.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller