Latest post Wed, Feb 7 2018 2:15 PM by NYnutz. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 29 2018 3:33 PM

• easterntv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 12 2015
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Avid & VM Options

I am very confused- but I have been having issues supporting users at my studio using Microsoft Remote Desktop across the LAN.

When you try to startup over RDP, Teamviewer, LogMeIn, etc.- Avid says "This program does not support VM Instances". 

There is a support page from December that says you should disable Hypervisor in Windows. I did this, and it does not work. 

Now, I understand that maybe it sees the connection over RDP and thinks maybe it's a VM connection. So I reached out to support and I have an outstanding ticket that is almost 3 weeks old, and they have no sent any answers. Almost like this is a brand new issue. After I couldn't settle this over the ticket, I called support directly- who said they needed more info, and couldn't help me resolve. They updated the ticket and would call me back ASAP. But no one called. That was 4 days ago.

However; this really seems to be an ongoing issue, and I'm not the only one have it. When I see something on the boards- there are several posts from support looking for a direct contact to discuss instead of posting a solution.

Now there is a VM Option that shows up in my Avid Application Manager. There is an entire page dedicated to the differences between Remote & Cloud. Yet, there is no way to purchase from the Avid website. 

I reached out to my reseller who checked in with Avid, and 2 weeks later they said they don't know what I'm talking about. 

Does anyone know if:

a) There is a fix to allow remote connections over the LAN to open up Avid Media Composer?

b) Ability to purchase a VM Option for Media Composer now?

• Mon, Jan 29 2018 3:40 PM In reply to

Re: Avid & VM Options

I was never able to use RDP to run MC remotely. I used to use VNC which worked ok.

I haven't heard much about the VM option but this link explains a bit more:

http://www.avid.com/media-composer/cloud-vm-vs-cloud-remote

That VM model is not the same as remoting into a real machine as far as I'm aware.

You aren't running a VM you are running a live machine and want to remote to it.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 29 2018 3:59 PM In reply to

• easterntv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Correct- I am not running a VM machine. But if I were to use a VM Option, and it were going to work over RDP, whats the cost and how can I purchase it?

I would imagine that the VM Option model could potentially also run over a live machine as well?

• Mon, Jan 29 2018 4:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,049
    • Points 203,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

The VM Option is added to the license.... like any other option.

Here is a good overview...

And here is the best practices document....

Avid Media Composer Best Practices Guide for VMware

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jan 29 2018 9:06 PM In reply to

• easterntv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thank you Marianna.

But how do I actually get it? It doesn't seem the retailers have this Option available to sell, and it's not available through the Avid Store online.

I asked about this through Web Support and I'm on day 18 with no resolve.

I asked about this over Phone Support, and they said they would call me back Friday, and never did.

If I wanted the Symphony Option or ScriptSync, I can simply purchase. But there doesn't seem for me a place an order for the VM Option.

Is there a link I can be directed to so I can purchase?

• Fri, Feb 2 2018 3:18 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 247
    • Points 2,930

@easterntv 

the VM option is for enterprise deployments running multiple virtual media composer systems on a vmware hypervisor with the horizon PCoIP client (or similar), not for connecting to a workstation remotely.    

I run multiple physical media composer systems remotely via microsoft RDP under win7 and win10 with no issues other than dongles not working with RDP after media composer 6.5. If you have HP workstations and dongle based licensing, I would recomend using HP RGS, which is free for HP platforms. 

some questions:

what type of workstations do you have?

what operating systems?

what version of media composer?

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 12:00 AM In reply to

• easterntv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thank you NYNutz!

I found that because I was running Teradici Workstation Access on the machine, and Avid must have assumed it was running as a VM workstation. Once I uninstalled the PCoIP client software, the machine began operating as normal.

I still am unable to get Avid Media Composer to launch over RDP. It will just stall and crash at startup. I thought maybe it was an issue with the MCState, but I tried to delete that, but still nothing. It launches fine if you do it from the machine though.

what type of workstations do you have? Custom Built PC, ASUS MB with a GTX 130,

what operating systems? Windows 10 Enterprise

what version of media composer? Avid Media Composer 8.9 (also tried running on 2018.1)

Regarding the VM Workstation, is the license meant to be supporting mulitple clients at the same time within the same VM server? I'm managing upwards of 60 machines at any given time. I'm not opposed to running these as VM, so long as it seems stable.  But does Avid require Interplay to deploy this?
  • Wed, Feb 7 2018 2:15 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 247
    • Points 2,930

sounds like avid needs to find a better way to validate if the VM option is required. There are legitimate reasons to use a PCoIP client other than vmware.  

Have you tried connecting with VNC/teamviewer/logonmein now that the teradici client is uninstalled?

Does MC crash at the same part of the launch process every time? 

what RDP client are you using?

- i am using regular RDP windows client, RDCman, and microsoft remote desktop from macos systems. 

at this point, i'd be looking at GFX driver or configuration of RDP 'available devices.' 

easterntv:
    Regarding the VM Workstation, is the license meant to be supporting mulitple clients at the same time within the same VM server? I'm managing upwards of 60 machines at any given time. I'm not opposed to running these as VM, so long as it seems stable.  But does Avid require Interplay to deploy this?

If i read the vm option notes correctly, a VM option license is required for each system ID/license of media composer that you want to run in vmware. Not a single license for the server side that covers all virtual clients. 

running a vm server for your clients to replace workstations is a whole other conversation. it usually isn't cheaper, but management is generally easier. recomend checking out some threads on www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin about vmware horizon and VDI. The infrastructure requirements are substantial. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller