Latest post Thu, Jan 18 2018 1:52 PM by Sylvaan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 16 2018 12:22 AM

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 15 2018
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Adding effects on each angles in a Multiclip

Hi dear developper,

this is not only a request but a real NEED.

Imagine, you have a multiclip, and on one angle, the camera has a dead pixel, need to be lightly resised because of a light reflection in the window and also need color correction. I just had it last week on the table...
    OK, color correction could be made on the whole angle if you can afford Symphony, if not a few short cuts and unless you decide to change them later, it is kind of acceptable. But for the needed effects, you will have to put them  both (paint / clone for the dead pixel and resize because of the light reflecting in the window) for every clips used in the timeline. For a film as long as 2 hours, that means a serious risk of tendinitis on my hand... Plus lost time. With one effect, it would be less bad, because I could select with segment mode all clips of the sequence with this angle and then dobble click on the prepared effect in a bin, which would be a drag already.

So, it is really NEEDED to access each angle of a multiclip and be able to apply one or more effects on the angle. This is btw possible in all other NLE software I know. But not n MC!

Why are not multipclips a bit similar as collapsed clips with the possibility to edit into them? 
    That would also give the possibility to shift a few frames on one angle, if you later discover that the sync is not perfect or even to add a new angle which came later.

Thanks for your work! 

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Jan 17 2018 8:31 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,196
    • Points 61,055

Re: Adding effects on each angles in a Multiclip

Sylvaan, as for colour correction what You ask for can be achieved with relational colour correction, Symphony only. Shifting frames it's not an issue even with multiple effetcts. For other effects it's manual labour, and I second Your request.

MC 2018.2, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 11:17 AM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Yes, I meant actually Symphony not saphyre. But the Symphony option is really expensive! 

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 11:20 AM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

"Shifting frames it's not an issue even with multiple effetcts"
    ?
    How can you shift frames for the angle in a multiclip after edit? The only way I know is to adjust the concerned angle for each cut where the angle has been used. Or did I miss a possibility?

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 1:47 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,196
    • Points 61,055

Didn't understand You meant to shift all the istances of a given angle at once, sorry. You can still shift clips with effects on top of them by using the  keys m,./ on a per clip basis, and can apply effects to multiple clips selecting them first with the red arrow.

MC 2018.2, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 2:21 PM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Sure, you can add an effect on the multiclip. But You cannot apply effect to one specific angle in a multiclip, that is the problem! 
    You can add an effect one clip at a time, but not for the whole angle.

I give you an example:
    One angle needs a resize and has a dead pixel: 2 effects
    One other angle also need a light resize, but differen from the previous angle.

You make your edit. And then, you have to add the effects to the first angle, selecting all clips from this camera and then add your effect. For the second effect on top, you have do do it one clip at a time, using alt + effect if you do not want to loose the first effect.
    Then adding the effect on the second angle, which means selecting all clips from this camera with segment mode and then add the effect.

This is just time consuming!!! Especially for long interviews or concerts  with multiple cameras.
    Then imagine how it is, when you need to adjust again one of the effects!

NEEDED is the possibility to add one or more effects on the complete angle. This is a normal function in FCP, Premiere and Resolve.... It means that we need the possibiliy to go inside the multiclip and add effect or colors (I know, this last one works with the super expensive Symphony option).

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 3:40 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,316
    • Points 16,180

I'm largely sympathetic -- but symphony was available most of last year for $99.  It was a good investment for me, and I suspect it would have been for you as well.

edit:  Ah, I see your join date is this year.  Thought I recognized your screen name from earlier.

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 1:52 PM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Bad Luck indeed. I missed that offer.

But as mentionned before, it would only solve the color corrections issue, not the effects one. I honestly nearly never had a multicam where all angles were perfect, so I usually need at least to correct the size/position of one of them.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller