Latest post Tue, Jan 16 2018 2:11 PM by DStone. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 13 2018 9:32 AM

• zeilsteen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 13 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Feature Request: Background rendering more than one job

Hello Avid and friends,

I have got one request for mediacomposer:

For the background and forground render: A setting to start more than one job

I have a dual xeon with 40 cpu's and 80 threads and 10 gbit ethernet with raid and M.2 SSD, would be very nice to give them a hard time with background and forground rendering. We all know cpu power is in the number op cpu's these days.

I have set the background rendering to HIGH but that does do anythigng. I now use all sorts of other applications that do use multithreading. 

Thanks!

Herman

• Sat, Jan 13 2018 9:32 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,358
    • Points 43,365
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Feature Request: Background rendering more than one job

Unfortunately, MC does not take advantage of large numbers of cores and threads. Some of the 3rd party software used by MC does. Among the community, the thought is fewer cores with higher clock speeds is better than lots of cores with slower clock speeds.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Jan 13 2018 11:21 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,533
    • Points 59,275

It is interesting that the background transcoding and rendering queue is managed by a single rendering engine. Perhaps one day Avid will spawn several rendering engines (allowing for multiple jobs to be transcoded/rendered at the same time).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 18.5 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D-E... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jan 14 2018 7:26 PM In reply to

Looking at the background render queue, depending on the background task, I often see 4 or so files being processed at the same time.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 15 2018 4:40 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,533
    • Points 59,275

I didn't notice that Pat (you mean you see progress bars on 4 or so tasks - as in they are actually in progress, not just in the queue?).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 18.5 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D-E... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Jan 15 2018 8:06 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,420

i can confirm that here, i observed that background rendering works on one effect at a time.

however, if a clip is cut in several sections, each with the same plugin - but at a different preset/setting - they will all render at the same time, on the same task progress bar...

mc 2018.4 with symphony - win 10 pro64 creators - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (391.35) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Tue, Jan 16 2018 2:11 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,358
    • Points 43,365
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It's more than just that you can get rendering to happen on more than 1 clip at a time. It has to do with how many clips will render at a time.

For example, one of my biggest complaints has to do with any format using fixed sized GOPs. There's no reason not to spawn 1 thread per GOP for as many threads as you reasonably handle. This would speed up rendering quite a bit (this is known as boss-worker threading; each thread (worker) produces a GOP while the boss assigns each thread and puts the GOPS in order in the file when done). Right now encoding happens serially in MC (as far as I can tell).

Effects are the same thing. If multiple effects are applied, there's no reason that effects can't be run in parallel (the first effect processes a frame, hands that frame off to the next effect and then starts working on the next frame, etc.) Of course there are limitations to this when multiple frames must be processed for each frame of an effect (e.g. temporal noise cleaning). but even that can be done.

Of course, when one adds in GPU processing this changes the mechanics quite a bit (GPU processing is parallel by design), but even that can be worked into the mix (or why Resolve runs faster with multiple GPUs; it's spreading the load around).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller