Latest post Thu, Jan 11 2018 11:12 AM by luca.mg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 10 2018 6:29 PM

• JackTLF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 10 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Cannot Link to footage

Hi, 

I am new to Avid having just purchased Media Composer 8.10 a few days ago.  All the video tutorials and guides that I have seen effortlessly bring footage into the project via the Source Browser and then using 'Import' or 'Link'.  When I attempt to use the 'Link' option on a file I always get a notification saying that Avid is unable to link to that file and would I like to Import instead?  If I say yes then the file begins to import, but it's painfully slow.  I have almost 200 files that I need to work on in this project, some of them are several GB.  It would take me a week of importaing before I could even begin editing.  This can't be right??  

I'm used to FCP and Premiere Pro where it takes literally seconds to bring any variety of footage into a project.  From what I've read 'Linking' is much quicker than 'Importing', but for some reason it's not letting me do so.   I don't think it can be an issue with the files that I want to Link to, one of them is an H.264 MP4, and another is an AVdn MOV, yet they both produce the same message saying they cannot be linked.  Is it something to do with my external hard drives?  I'm working on a Mac OSX 10.9.

Any help regarding my problem would be very much appreciated.  I've tried calling the support team and they've been no help.  At this rate it's looking like a swift return to Adobe is inevitable.  Please help!

Thanks

• Thu, Jan 11 2018 8:10 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 93
    • Points 975

Re: Cannot Link to footage

http://www.avid.com/plugins/ama-plugins

You may not yet have your Ama plugins installed.

Go to the Project window  (keyboard shortcut cmd 9) and go to the info tab somewhere in there you can see the AMA plug-ins that you have installed.

basically you need the plug ins for the different camera codecs that you are using Sony Arri canon etc as well as some generics.

just a note, mixing Ama Link and the import process can be challenging when it comes to a uprez process

M

iMac Retina27 late 2014 4Gz i7 16GB AMD R9 2GB with Sata Raid OS 10.11.6 MC 8.6.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 11 2018 11:12 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,150
    • Points 60,535

Re: Cannot Link to footage

Yep! Also note that You can select the AMA plugin within the Source Browser, the default choice, and/or Autodetect not always work.

MC 8.9.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller