Latest post Mon, Dec 4 2017 5:17 PM by Monter. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 4 2017 1:51 AM

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,160

From FCPX to Avid

Last week I got an email from someone who was using my Intro to First tutorial who asked why she could never see the "green tracks" and why were there "tracks."Confused

Being a long time user of FCPX I knew why she did not expect the "Source" to be IN the Timeline which she correctly understood to reflect what she saw in the Record monitor. She had a good question which I solved be revising the first dozen or so pages of my tutorial and sending the revision to her.

Her "why tracks" set off alarm bells. For those of us with 25 years experience, with many different editors, have always had tracks. But if you are young taking an editing class in high-school using iMovie or taking a college course with FCPX, your ONLY experience would be radically different than our experience.

So when they read the "famous" Avid NLE is available for free they naturally assume what they know will transfer. And, I think we think it should. But, I'm less sure because from my review of MCF I got questions about 3-point editing--a concept that precedes Avid by many years because that's how one edited videotape. (Which, of course, is something not in most young people's experience. Neither is film, so "Splice" doesn't have an obvious meaning either.)

I'm wondering if you have encountered "editors" who have only used Apple NLEs? How did you deal with their different concepts?

And, I'm wondering how those teaching with Apple products deal with the very high probability that if their students get a job, they will not be using FCPX.

PS: When making the revision for her I couldn't resist revising the whole thing so if you are using my tutorial please download it again.

https://www.scribd.com/document/357832327/Introduction-to-Avid-Media-Composer-First

https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/content/entry/9821/introduction-to-avid-media-composer-first-part-1

• Mon, Dec 4 2017 5:17 PM In reply to

• Monter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 2 2017
    • Posts 14
    • Points 150

Re: From FCPX to Avid

Hi,

May be you can help me? Please see my topic: No linking, only import.

MBP 6,1 i7 2,8Ghz, 8GB, Maverics 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller