Latest post Sun, Dec 10 2017 5:54 PM by Terry Snyder. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 29 2017 3:22 PM

70's TV Skin Tones

I have a project where I'm trying to mimick the retro look of 1970's TV shows like the original Hawaii 50 and Mannix. These shows were shot on 35mm film, so I know it's never going to be a perfect match.  One thing that stands out is the skin tones seem to be much darker and more saturated on those old shows compared to shows shot digitally today.    

Starting with log footage (SLog 3 from a Sony FS7), I tried darkening the midtones, shifting the gamma midpoint down and increasing saturation, but I can't quite get the look.  Looking for suggestions on how to approximate this look using Symphony's CC tools.

Thanks.

MC 8.6.1 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Dec 1 2017 8:46 AM In reply to

Re: 70's TV Skin Tones

Hawaii 5-0 was shot with Kodak 100T 5254, so search for an appropriate LUT to help you.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

• Sun, Dec 3 2017 5:58 PM In reply to

George Angeludis:

Hawaii 5-0 was shot with Kodak 100T 5254, so search for an appropriate LUT to help you.

Love that Hawaii 5-0 theme song, too! 

When I first heard about LUTs being part of the MC edit experience,

I got an iPhone app called ExpressColor, which I can’t say enough about.

It allows making custom LUTs which can be used inside Avid Projects and

it also includes Looks with about 20 Kodak and Fuji Camera Stocks many and varied... check

out the description of it in the App Store...

I’m just wrapping my head around the newly affordable Symphony Option...

Im hoping there is a way to send Symphony a LUT as a starting point, ready for

further tweaking & Export as a LUT.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 3 2017 6:58 PM In reply to

Telegram!:

Im hoping there is a way to send Symphony a LUT as a starting point, ready for

further tweaking & Export as a LUT.

I wish we could do that. But we can't at the moment.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(385.08)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.3 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

• Mon, Dec 4 2017 4:00 AM In reply to

LUT's get you in the ballpark quickly, but you still have to apply a grade to the shot.  I've tried some of the film stock LUT's but they don't seem to look as good as starting with a basic Slog-to-Rec709 LUT and then grading from there.    I've gotten some interesting results grading log footage from scatch without applying a LUT.  It's time consuming, and you can easily mess up the grade, but you really begin to understand the relationships between the CC controls.  But I'm still trying to get iconic 70's TV-shot-on-film look.

MC 8.6.1 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Dec 4 2017 6:09 AM In reply to

“...and Gail Fisher as Peggy”...

Sounds like fun, concentrating on a particular look. I remember that show and just saw some stuff on YouTube, including a rather clean “Season 7 enhanced” version of the show opening. Maybe they were able to go back to original film, avoiding any contrasty buildup from the PiP optical effect done seven years earlier. Or maybe the original optical was carefully corrected pip by pip using an Avid. Who knows?

I wonder if there are modern tools to recreate a lighting style.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 5 2017 1:36 PM In reply to

Telegram!:
    I wonder if there are modern tools to recreate a lighting style.

Fresnals! Wink

...but seriously.  While LED light panels are all the rage, I have 3 trusty 650W fresnals with barndoors.  Add in a big Rifa softbox as a fill light and I've got the basic tools to replicate most lighting looks unless I'm on a huge set.   Of course, I have to be careful not to blow any circuts on location,  but nothing seems to match the warm look of incandescent light sources.   Slap on a 1/4 black Pro-Mist to give it a bit more in-camera contrast and soften the digital edge.

My biggest challenge, as I originally posted, it getting the midtones and saturation right in the grading.

• Thu, Dec 7 2017 12:31 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,317
    • Points 96,135

I guess that the tool that you're looking for would be similar to the vibrance filter in Photoshop.  It might be worth your while searching for a vibrance plug-in or one that offers vibrance as an option.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 10 2017 5:06 AM In reply to

jwrl:

I guess that the tool that you're looking for would be similar to the vibrance filter in Photoshop.  It might be worth your while searching for a vibrance plug-in or one that offers vibrance as an option.

thanks, jwrl 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgTNtuCiHhA

• Sun, Dec 10 2017 7:44 AM In reply to

Have you looked into tools like these?

http://digitalfilmtools.com/filmstocks/

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 10 2017 8:25 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Thanks, Job. That looks great. I hope the OP sees these.

I forgot about DFT... long ago I think I used a DFT Blur plugin, and now I’d like to check out their whole store.

• Sun, Dec 10 2017 9:37 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,107
    • Points 60,060

More quick and dirty trickery here https://www.redgiant.com/products/magic-bullet-looks/

MC 8.9.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Dec 10 2017 5:54 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I've not tried the filmstocks but I bought the Tiffen DFX package before Digital Film Tools bought them out.  As an old afficiando of glass filters when shooting, I found the digital filters to be about 70-80% approximate to the glass versions.  If the digital film stocks get me that close, it's worth a look.   Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller