Latest post Fri, Dec 8 2017 9:03 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 20 2017 12:32 AM

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 12 2007
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,555

XDCam import. How do you do it?

I am unable to import on MC 8.9.3 system. Currently using the nablet freebie for XDCam EX.

So when i try to link the files in the BPAV folder from the soucre browser .. Nothing.. 

I am not sure where to start with this. 

Just as a btw.. The Adobe Premier CC works fine with thes files. No hassles what so ever..

The XDCam files were shot on a Sony PMW350 XDCam camera SxS cards and downloadd using the Sony Browser 2.6 version software on an XP machine then transferring the xdcam files to a windows 10 PC.

Please help.

Any questions you may have please ask? 

System specs

Intel Xeon core i7 7700k 4.2ghz CPU Corsair - 64g RAM - asus strix 270h MB strix GTX-1070 Geforce NVIDA driver 388.13

Intel Xeon core i7 7700k 4.2ghz CPU Corsair - 64g RAM - asus strix 270h MB strix GTX-1070 Geforce [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 20 2017 1:03 AM In reply to

Re: XDCam import. How do you do it?

Do you want to Link to the Files? Or Import them?
    Edit add. Importing them directly seems like a problem here at present. (Have not used EX  media for 5 or more years)  The media for this test is from 2010. The media has been stored on, and accessed from, a removable SATA backup drive. 

Linking to them with the Source browser was no problem with 8.9.3 on a W7 SP1 machine.
    The Folder structure for this media is  E:\WOW2010\Card1Friday\BPAV.     In this test I linked to the "Card1Friday" folder  NOT the BPAV folder. 

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 1:38 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,555

I can't seem to do either. But I am trying to import them.

Intel Xeon core i7 7700k 4.2ghz CPU Corsair - 64g RAM - asus strix 270h MB strix GTX-1070 Geforce [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 20 2017 1:48 AM In reply to

Sorry I had just added this to my previous post after testing it here

Importing them directly seems like a problem here at present.

I have not used EX  media for 5 or more years)  The media for this test is from 2010. The media has been stored on, and accessed from, a removable SATA backup drive. 

Linking to them with the Source browser was no problem with 8.9.3 on a W7 SP1 machine.
    The Folder structure for this media is  E:\WOW2010\Card1Friday\BPAV.     In this test I linked to the "Card1Friday" folder  NOT the BPAV folder. 

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 2:35 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,555

I use windows 10

Things seem to work well a few versions back. I am not sure if quicktime needs to be back in. But i can't get the files to link or import.  I am unable to edit these files or the folder with AVId. I am assumming that i just click on the link button to import them in. But nothing actually occurs. Do i need to configure something or check any settings?

Can you make any suggestions if there is a work around? And thanks for your reply

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 3:24 AM In reply to

I just happened to be sitting at a W7 machine at the time.   Just for you I retested on a W10 pro computer with MC 8.9.3 with the same results. As with the W7 test the Folder structure for this media is  E:\WOW2010\Card1Friday\BPAV. 

Importing no obvious way to make it work.   I have a nagging feeling I used to use Sony Browser and then export clips with a to Avid template

The latest Nablet Avid Link Plug in is installed on both of these machines  Linking worked completely as expected.  
    In the Source Browser I opened E:\WOW2010 then  selected "Card1Friday"
     folder then presssed Link.  It subsequently worked for the remaining 3 cards in my E:\WOW2010 folder   Card2Friday, Card3Friday and Card4Friday.

Sorry from this testing I do not know what the isssue is at your place.

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 3:50 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,555

Thanks Andrew..

Just to be clear it works with your W7 and W10 machine ok and imports into your AVId?

"Importing no obvious way to make it work.   I have a nagging feeling I used to use Sony Browser and then export clips with a to Avid template"

I am not sure what you mean by this. I did use the Sony Browser 2.6 on an XP machine and then put the folder on my NAS to read the files.

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 3:54 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,555

I can't even get the Link or import button to light up. I must be doing something different? Does the AVID link plugin include import for the XDCam ex  files?

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 4:07 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,555

This maybe a stuid question. But how do you import the files in anyhow. Is it through the source browser?

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 4:23 AM In reply to

Importing did not work for me.  I did not try using either the Sony Browser or Sony Catalyst.  Both of those programs here are way out of date and I have no forseeable use for them so wont be updating.

Linking (AMA) works for me on both W7 and W10. The EX cards were copied to a harddrive years ago.  The BPAV folder from the card was copied a job name folder(WOW2010)\Card name folder (card1Friday) on the hard drive.  Linking was achieved by selecting the Card Name folder in the Source Browser.

These linked files are great for editting with.  Then transcode the timeline when you are ready.  OR if you want to work with the same sort of media as you would get from Importing you can easily select all the Linked media and transcode (or background transcode) to the format you want.  

FWIW "Importing, no obvious way to make it work. "  I found no way to make Importing work in the time I spent trying it.

"I have a nagging feeling I used to use Sony Browser and then export clips with a to Avid template "    Was me saying that the last time I made it work, which was more than 7 years ago, I seem to remember having to use a Sony browser to export the clips into an Avid format.  I do not remember well enough to be helpfull on this.

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 4:59 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,555

Thanks Mate for all your help. 

I think the program updates don't always make it easier for old programs to work. Things were much simpler back then with Avid and you spent time on the creative editing rather than trying to work the program. 

I find avid clunky. I hate the constant updates and the program has to be reconfiquired every five minutes..

At the moment i will continue with Adobe, since i have started a project and almost completed half of it on there today. Whilst Avid lags behind.

I do appreciate your help and will get back to sorting out my problems at a more convenient time.

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 7:45 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,107
    • Points 60,060

Hi Rob, at a more convenient time ;-) please check 'drive filtering' and 'media creation' settings. Also try to link from a local drive instead of the NAS. Try to alt-drag the footage from the Windows file manager to a bin. And keep us posted!

MC 8.9.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 3:38 PM In reply to

Hi,

After installing drivers for an xdcam deck (not EX), which is needed to have a correct file/folder layout inside explorer, and enabling classic xdcam import...

Import function returns over here. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 4:50 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,090
    • Points 37,430

Just to add to this.

On a Mac with OSX 10.12.6 and MC 8.9.3 and the nablet 4.5.2.1406 plugin, I can not get either an import or good link of XDCam 50 media.

By good link, I mean one where the media will play.  I get master clips, but when loading the master clip to the source window I get:

Exdeption: Cannot create the AMA samle mapper to play this clip - SelectFileMob() failed

Plus the link I get is all individual files - V and 8 A1 tracks.

When I take the same disc to an 8.5.3 system, all is right with the world.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 9:08 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    After installing drivers for an xdam deck (not EX),
    I tried with this checked and unchecked with my testing. It made no difference, the EX refused to import.  It worked as expected with XDCAM HD legacy imports.  

jef:
    On a Mac with OSX 10.12.6 and MC 8.9.3 and the nablet 4.5.2.1406 plugin, I can not get either an import or good link of XDCam 50 media
    Is this XDCAM EX?  I get the same great Linking (AMA) I have always had with EX on Windows 7 and Windows 10. Smooth playback and no error messages.  Maybe your issue with the Mac OS merits a new thread to explore this as a potential bug.  

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller