Latest post Mon, Nov 20 2017 1:23 PM by James@Seamless. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 14 2017 2:32 PM

Enable Mask Margins, compromises 10bit image quality

Using MC 8.8.5

My media is DNx175X

When I make an export using same as source and use "Enable Mask Margins", the export comes out as if it has been pushed through an 8bit process and does not retain the image quality of the original.

Can anyone confirm this bug?

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 14 2017 8:27 PM In reply to

Re: Enable Mask Margins, compromises 10bit image quality

Not on my end, all exports look as they should... obviously, you are making certain the quality setting on the timeline is the quality you want?

Jason

2010 Mac Pro 2.66 GHz 12-core 64GB GTX 980Ti Solid State Boot 8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.11.6 El Capitan Symphony 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 17 2017 3:01 PM In reply to

Hi Jason.

Are you on 8.8.5 or later?

Not sure what you mean about making certain the quality. My timeline is set to full green 10bit. But that does not effect the export quality. I'm using same as source as my output.

Do you have a good 10bit gradiant to test the result. Obviously you would only see the difference I am talking about on a 10bit external montitor.

The output file reports as 175X but the image has definately been quantized.

• Fri, Nov 17 2017 9:43 PM In reply to

You're right that the Timeline Video Quality setting wouldn't affect an export but that's assuming if you had something needing a render, you had that switch set to the full green 10-bit, otherwise it would of course look low-res.

I'm using an older Dreamcolor HP LP2480zx which is supposed to be a 10-bit monitor.

I'm running MC 8.9.2 w/Symphony option on a MacPro running El Capitan.  I'm using a BlackMagic Decklink 4k card but monitoring HD-SDI to the dreamcolor.

When I bounce between my SAS export (with Mask Margins enabled) re-linked to the source side, and my original timeline (with a gradient ramp I created in AE 16-bit) I see no difference.  I'm using DNX 175x for the import of the ramp, and as a codec for the export.

Maybe you wanna send me your ramp file or something?

2010 Mac Pro 2.66 GHz 12-core 64GB GTX 980Ti Solid State Boot 8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.11.6 El Capitan Symphony 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 17 2017 10:41 PM In reply to

I even rendered out a 32-bit float (that I brought in to AVID 10-bit DNx175X) and exported that... again, looks fine.  Can I send you a 5-frame test?  Also, just double-checking, when you are seeing the 'quantizing,' how are you looking at that?  Through QT?  Through your AVID?  Through something else?

• Mon, Nov 20 2017 1:23 PM In reply to

I'm doing everything on a10bit monitor through Artist IO.

I export SAS once with mask margins on and once with them off.

I import both files back in and cut them on tracks 2 and 3 of the original timeline. And I can visually see the difference between the nomask and mask. Maybe it's an exageration to say 8-bit quantizing, but you know how grads can show up every slight imperfection.

On further testing I actually see that complexity of the image has an impact also.  A pure grad does not display it but my image is footage with a natural grad to the sky.

I guess that 175X is not all that perfect. I just thought that simplifying an image by adding a mask would never result in quality loss but it does in certain circumstance.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller