Latest post Tue, Nov 14 2017 8:33 PM by Sylvain P. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 14 2017 8:31 AM

• Mikel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 191
    • Points 2,240

In Multicam mode changing one of the cameras sources while editing

Hi

I would like to know if there is a way to replace one of the camera sources files in the grouped sources, while editing, in a way that the editing that was already made will not be deleted.

Mikel

• Tue, Nov 14 2017 1:47 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,306
    • Points 16,085

Re: In Multicam mode changing one of the cameras sources while editing

If you originally imported the clip (rather than linked to it) you can delete the media only from the source clip and batch re-import the new version.  That will repopulate all versions with the new media.

I don't know of any linked clip equivalent.

Why are you doing this?  Do you have, for example, a color-corrected version of the original clip you're hoping to substitute?

• Tue, Nov 14 2017 4:31 PM In reply to

• Mikel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 191
    • Points 2,240

The files were placed in an MXF directory. And were placed in a Bin by importing the MSM file from that directory.

I would thank you for elaborating more on what you wrote because that is a good solution in case one of the cameras coloring is not good so instead of working in the time line on the clips created and fix the coloring issue there it can be done ( if I understood you correctly ) and then replace the files with the fixed color ones.

in my case the issue was deferent, one of the cameras material was in 5 files due to a deferent decoder that was used to convert the original files to MXF and did not create a contagious long file of all the time recorded.

Since I had a sync point in the beginning of 3 cameras when the first file of the "problematic" camera ended it was still running the other 2 cameras and I did not have an idea as to how to add the third camera next file.

the only solution I found was to mark the ending point of the first file and prepare a second group files that included the second file from the "problematic" camera with the continuation of the other 2 cameras and after editing this group I cut what was not needed in the begging and integrated it to one long file- 

somehow I thought it was a long way to go and that is why I asked if there are other options in such case.

if you have ideas or you can elaborate on you suggestion above I will thank you.

Mikel

• Tue, Nov 14 2017 8:11 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,306
    • Points 16,085

You're doing it correctly.  Avid has hinted vaguely at multicam updates, but as of now you can't place multiple clips in a stream.

This tutorial has been circulating for a couple of years which may or may not giv eyou some ideas:

http://willblanksblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/how-to-multigroup_15.html

• Tue, Nov 14 2017 8:33 PM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,481
    • Points 17,490

Effectively, when you are doing a multicam edit, if one of the cameras is split in multiple clips, you need to make a new group clip for each one.

For that, I usually make a sync sequence and align all my clips there. Then, I can match frame where I want to create all the group clips.

Also, to color correct a particular camera, another option is to use the Symphony Option (available at a discount price!) to color correct one of the master clip (or subclip). It will apply the correction to all the related clips in the timeline.

Media Composer 8.9.3 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. Boris Red 5... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller