Latest post Thu, Oct 26 2017 8:36 PM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 25 2017 3:42 AM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 7,140

Help with computer issue

I am working on a friends MC 7.0.4 system, computer specs listed below and have noticed than when working with linked 1080P 24frame footage, there seems to be a lot of stuttering and difficult playback issues, even at the lowest playback resolution setting. Is this a RAM issue or is something else going on? I don't seem to remember having these problems, although I can't remember if that past footage was linked or fully imported to hard drive. This version of MC is old, I know but has worked well in the past. Take a look at specs and tell me what you think.

i7 Processor

16 gigs RAM

SSD for OS, Windows 7 Pro

1tb hard drive for media

1tb external drive also for media

nVidia Geforce graphics card, an 8600, I think

All drivers updated recently

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 3:19 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,351
    • Points 62,770

Re: Help with computer issue

Win 7 & MC 7 and i7 was a solid performer, but for smooth playback a single drive could not be up to the task, a two disks RAID 0 would be much preferred, and if the external drive is USB that's a bottleneck, especially true for USB 2. Other than the processor the motherboard is at stake, there are many flavours of i7, driven by different chipsets, and the GeForce could be the faulty bit, You'll have to thinker with the driver, the latest is not always the best in conjunction with MC.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 7:47 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 7,140

Well, you nailed it. I was trying to use an external drive through USB 3.0, but apparently this wasn't fast enough for full HD video. I imported the clips to an internal 1tb drive, did some re-editing as a test, and lo and behold, the clips played back fine, no problems with the timeline or anything. So, I guess the story here is that a SATA II (6gbs) internal drive is fast enough, but not anything USB 3.0, which I thought should have been fast enough to work.

I agree that a RAID 0 array would probably be even better and I intend to move to that in the near future. Thanks for your help!

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 7:53 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,351
    • Points 62,770

Glad to know You're on!

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 8:36 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,244
    • Points 39,370

bushfilm:

Well, you nailed it. I was trying to use an external drive through USB 3.0, but apparently this wasn't fast enough for full HD video. 

Well, that is not totally true.  The issue is that USB 3.0 can be lied about.  An external drive might have USB 3.0 connections, but only slow drive inside.  Check the full specs of the drive in question.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller